Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2012, 12:35 PM

4,574 posts, read 7,500,755 times

Advertisements

The HB 954, commonly referred to Georgia Republicans as "fetal pain" law and the "women as livestock" law, has recently been passed in Georgia. Under the new law, if the fetus is stillborn or has any other abnormality, the women is required to birth it after 20 weeks, which is the maximum limit to have an abortion. The only exceptions to getting an abortion after the 20 week limit is if the fetus has a chromosomal abnormality. Mind you that it does not exempt cases of rape, incest, or maternal health issues (such as ectopic pregnancy or mental illness). The HB 954 law first garnered national attention when Republican statesman Terry England affirmed that "if farmers have to “deliver calves, dead or alive,” then a woman carrying a dead fetus, or one not expected to survive, should have to carry it to term."

At 11th Hour, Georgia Passes “Women as Livestock” Bill : Ms. Magazine Blog
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2012, 12:39 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,452,545 times
Quote:
Under the new law, if the fetus is stillborn or has any other abnormality, the women is required to birth it after 20 weeks, which is the maximum limit to have an abortion.
Required to birth it. After 20 weeks.

Sounds like they're making it a requirement to birth a dead fetus if it hasn't self aborted in less than 20 weeks.

What's the problem?

Why should a woman carry around a dead fetus in her uterus past 20 weeks? Kinda disgusting.

Old 04-03-2012, 12:46 PM

744 posts, read 811,852 times
Why, why condemn someone to a life of misery? All fetuses which show clear disabilities ideally should be aborted...It is cruel and selfish to do otherwise.. I don't understand why fetuses are so sacred to some people, I rather prevent human suffering than protect an undeveloped freaking fetus. God...

Rep me if u agree, leave your screen name & I will rep u back

Old 04-03-2012, 12:58 PM

168 posts, read 142,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sturmgeist View Post
Why, why condemn someone to a life of misery? All fetuses which show clear disabilities ideally should be aborted...It is cruel and selfish to do otherwise.. I don't understand why fetuses are so sacred to some people, I rather prevent human suffering than protect an undeveloped fetus. God...

This isn't facebook, but I do agree with the bolded.

Old 04-03-2012, 01:16 PM

78,409 posts, read 60,579,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nature's message View Post
The HB 954, commonly referred to Georgia Republicans as "fetal pain" law and the "women as livestock" law, has recently been passed in Georgia. Under the new law, if the fetus is stillborn or has any other abnormality, the women is required to birth it after 20 weeks, which is the maximum limit to have an abortion. The only exceptions to getting an abortion after the 20 week limit is if the fetus has a chromosomal abnormality. Mind you that it does not exempt cases of rape, incest, or maternal health issues (such as ectopic pregnancy or mental illness). The HB 954 law first garnered national attention when Republican statesman Terry England affirmed that "if farmers have to “deliver calves, dead or alive,” then a woman carrying a dead fetus, or one not expected to survive, should have to carry it to term."

At 11th Hour, Georgia Passes “Women as Livestock” Bill : Ms. Magazine Blog
This made me curious so rather than trust a partisan blog I went to the actual document.

HB*954*2011-2012 Regular Session

Quote:
Code Section 31-9B-2 to be 20 weeks or more unless the physician and two consulting physicians certify that the pregnancy is diagnosed as medically futile,...... the abortion is necessary in their best clinical judgment to preserve the life or health of the woman to....

(A) Avert the death of the pregnant woman or avert serious risk of substantial and irreversible physical impairment of a major bodily function of the pregnant woman
Yet you mention rape and incest? If you were raped by your brother you'd want more than 5 months to mull over getting an abortion?

Ectopic pregnancies are spotted wayyyyyy before 5 months too and if not would clearly be allowed under the section I noted above.

You might want to consider first sources in the future and ease off the hyperbole. IF you want to point out a specific provision in the law and discuss it, I would be happy to do so....but please cut and paste directly from the law instead of just using your imagination.

Old 04-03-2012, 03:23 PM

10,875 posts, read 13,810,134 times
The far right are on an all out assault on woman aren't they. I don't think they realize how stupid they are, and these kind of horrific actions being forced on people are going to cost them direly in the upcoming elections.

Old 04-03-2012, 05:05 PM

5,671 posts, read 4,352,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sturmgeist View Post
Why, why condemn someone to a life of misery? All fetuses which show clear disabilities ideally should be aborted...It is cruel and selfish to do otherwise.. I don't understand why fetuses are so sacred to some people, I rather prevent human suffering than protect an undeveloped freaking fetus. God...

No it's not. For all we know, a disability might be advantageous to the person over the long term. I'm an atheist by the way...no soul in the picture. If it has a large disability, or something that might hinder its survival, that could make sense to abort it though.

Old 04-03-2012, 05:17 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,442,508 times
[quote=TempesT68;23699224]The far right are on an all out assault on woman aren't they. I don't think they realize how stupid they are, and these kind of horrific actions being forced on people are going to cost them direly in the upcoming elections.[/quote

"Oh My" for once i have to honestly agree with you, this is more then an assult on women, i resent this and the idiots for it. This is more the stupidity, and ingorance, great job my a-- Republicians, see, when something i believe in is not right, no problem saying so.
Just in my opinion, do not like this law at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies