Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2012, 07:50 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,447,268 times

Advertisements

I myself do not. And on my inlaws side there is interracial marriages, and my nieces and nephews on that side, are just too beautiful, i sincerely mean that. And great sucessful children.

I myself find ignorance in anyone who comapres the two, for either is really none of their business, and should not be compared to each other. Worry about your own life, and those who are decent and law abiding citizens, should be able to lead their life, without busy bodies.
Ignorance breeds hatred of racisim, and also not understanding gay people and therefore have to belittle them, i think people just need to concern themselves with themselves. and their own families. Perpertuating a comparison of the two, is just plain ignorant.

Old 04-03-2012, 07:51 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,009,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB.Good View Post
Also, a lot of the same people who say the debate on gay marriage is NOTHING like the debate on interracial marriage, will then turn around and compare gay marriage to having sex with a dog.

That's right. Comparing marriage to marriage makes no sense, but comparing marriage to beastiality -- Yep!
I've never heard about gays and sex with dogs. Is this common or just a rumor?

Old 04-03-2012, 07:53 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,103,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by california-jewel View Post
I myself do not. And on my inlaws side there is interracial marriages, and my nieces and nephews on that side, are just too beautiful, i sincerely mean that. And great sucessful children.

I myself find ignorance in anyone who comapres the two, for either is really none of their business, and should not be compared to each other. Worry about your own life, and those who are decent and law abiding citizens, should be able to lead their life, without busy bodies.
Ignorance breeds hatred of racisim, and also not understanding gay people and therefore have to belittle them, i think people just need to concern themselves with themselves. and their own families. Perpertuating a comparison of the two, is just plain ignorant.

It's ignorant to realize (or at least to argue) that both interracial marriage bans and same-sex marriage bans are both unconstitutional and for the exact same legal rationale? Really?

Old 04-03-2012, 08:05 PM

2,160 posts, read 1,955,631 times
Let's see...

*They're both marriages that were once widely opposed...

Record-High 86% Approve of Black-White Marriages

For First Time, Majority of Americans Favor Legal Gay Marriage

*Bans on both were/are part of systematic processes of marginalizing minority groups...

*They've both been opposed with nonsensical arguments of 'protecting' something (the 'purity' of the white race, the 'sanctity' of marriage)...

Old 04-03-2012, 08:10 PM

2,160 posts, read 1,955,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
I've never heard about gays and sex with dogs. Is this common or just a rumor?
It is common enough.

Quote:
In every society, the definition of marriage has not ever to my knowledge included homosexuality. That's not to pick on homosexuality. It's not, you know, man on child, man on dog, or whatever the case may be. It is one thing. And when you destroy that you have a dramatic impact on the quality.
-- Rick Santorum, making it clear that he's not picking on homosexuality when he compares it to pedophilia and bestiality ...
USATODAY.com - Excerpt from Santorum interview

Old 04-03-2012, 08:18 PM

2,472 posts, read 3,198,524 times
They are exactly the same in principle: one group imposing their subjective morality on another group. No one is trying to prevent lutherans from marrying baptists, because we understand the notion of equality. It's a very simple concept, really.

Old 04-03-2012, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by california-jewel View Post

If you're able, please take a moment to explain why equating them is ignorant?

Old 04-03-2012, 08:25 PM

4,520 posts, read 4,209,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aganusn View Post
They are exactly the same in principle: one group imposing their subjective morality on another group. No one is trying to prevent lutherans from marrying baptists, because we understand the notion of equality. It's a very simple concept, really.
Not really. One is based on denial based on race, which was attached to other restrictions placed on African Americans pre-Civil Rights movement. The other is denial based on sexual orientation.

One redefines marriage; the other doesn't.

I used to be pretty anti-gay marriage, but I now have more of a "Let them have their rights too" stance. I still don't agree with it, but I realize that my personal beliefs should not serve as a form of oppression for others.

Old 04-03-2012, 08:31 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,103,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocLot View Post
Not really. One is based on denial based on race, which was attached to other restrictions placed on African Americans pre-Civil Rights movement. The other is denial based on sexual orientation.

I used to be pretty anti-gay marriage, but I now have more of a "Let them have their rights too" stance. I still don't agree with it, but I realize that my personal beliefs should not serve as a form of oppression for others.
Huh? Allowing interracial couples to marry certainly did redefine marriage - it redefined it to allow interracial marriage, something it previously did not include.

Old 04-03-2012, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocLot View Post

See Hammertime33's response. Marriage was being redefined by letting blacks marry whites, because before that marriage was defined as not marrying interracially. They changed the definition so blacks could marry whites.

Now, we're changing the definition of marriage again, and this is a good thing. It's called progress, the same reason why women can vote now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies