Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2012, 10:51 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,286,152 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Common Anomaly View Post
The only Conservative I see running is Ron Paul who supports much of the liberal agenda, but liberals have been lambasting him for years, all while now trying to say that they can resolve conflict.

Yawn.....

The only conflict that liberals like to resolve is their hate for Republican Party while voting Democrat and claiming that they are fundamentally different. Liberals love to play mental gymnastics and are good at it.
What a hysterically funny post.
Thanks for my first real laugh of the day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2012, 10:52 PM

831 posts, read 680,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zekester View Post
I call BS here. Ron Paul is about the only right wing candidate who has mustered quite a bit of left wing support. I've heard it straight from the mouths of many liberals. Also, you clearly misunderstood my OP while serving as an excellent example of the very type of entrenched and unenlightened thinking that I was referring to.

Yes, on Paul, and i would'nt have minded Hunstman neither, they dont sound like you normal run of the mill imperialist republican.

Old 04-05-2012, 06:50 AM

14,076 posts, read 20,532,927 times
Maybe some day the extremist's on both sides will acknowledge this truism:

"The state is licensed to temper bad behavior, not to perfect human nature."

Maybe when we quit trying to change others natures and deal just with the consequences of that nature, we can find common ground. Too often, policy arguments revolve around how people are, rather than what they do, as if either side has the power to change human nature.

Old 04-05-2012, 06:54 AM

17,401 posts, read 11,978,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone-Ranger View Post
A lot of people call me a stinking liberal, it's funny because deep down im actually conservative.

Lived all my life in england and we always voted Coservative, we just hated the soft option approach to everything with what the Labor (liberals) did, not to mention taxing everyone until theres nothing left in peoples pockets..

And then i come here, and notice and republicans were like the KKK, very extreme right wingers. Moreso with Obama being president, i have never seen so much hate for a man who just sat 5 mins into his administration only for the leader on the oppossing party to make his sole mission to make Obama a 1 term president.... I was astounded to say the least...
Yeah, you're actually conservative. And you say anyone that's a republican is like the KKK and very extreme? But that statement's not extreme at all. Maybe you saw hate for Obama from the start, because some of us saw his radical agenda right from the start. It should be ALL conservative's sole mission to make him a 1 term president, and to think he should have another is truly the astounding part.

Old 04-05-2012, 06:57 AM

17,401 posts, read 11,978,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
I could never align myself with the intolerance, bigotry, anger and anti intellectualism I see and hear exhibited from conservatives in America. Perhaps what I find most troubling is alot of these people call themselves "Christians" while being in full support of an immoral and criminal invasion of Iraq that led to the slaughter of hundreds of thousands of innocent Iraqi's and the deaths of thousands of American soldiers.

I realize there is a more guilty party, and I am fully aware of which one is it, and who belongs to it. It aint me.
If you "belong" to the liberal side of the spectrum, you are part of the party of intolerance, bigotry, anger and anti-intelligence. Not to mention the party of pay-to-play, entitlement thinking, criminal and unethical behavior.

Old 04-05-2012, 07:39 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,127,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone-Ranger View Post
A lot of people call me a stinking liberal, it's funny because deep down im actually conservative.

Lived all my life in england and we always voted Coservative, we just hated the soft option approach to everything with what the Labor (liberals) did, not to mention taxing everyone until theres nothing left in peoples pockets..

And then i come here, and notice and republicans were like the KKK, very extreme right wingers. Moreso with Obama being president, i have never seen so much hate for a man who just sat 5 mins into his administration only for the leader on the oppossing party to make his sole mission to make Obama a 1 term president.... I was astounded to say the least...
Then that makes you a liberal. Not only do you base your perceptions off of the area of the brain that drives emotion, you come to the US and get those perceptions all wrong when you do.

"...Republicans were like the KKK"? Total nonsense. You're not an American conservative in any sense of the word. You're an Engish conservative who conflates two very different political systems and ideologies. You're more liberal than you think you are.

Old 04-05-2012, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
It also explains why conservatives unabashedly slam Obama, even when he's doing exactly what they wanted in the first place... and FYI, not all liberals are "gung ho" about Obama at this point.

Conservatives are also great at rationalizing their BS away, to use your words, and that was pretty much the OP's point - that either side of the fence can be overly emotional, while lacking the neutrality and logic to see things from anything but a "you vs me" mentality. That's why I'm pretty much in-step with the OP, in terms of my independent political beliefs. Hate to break it to you extremists, but both sides are often full of crap.
What is it that Obama is doing that us conservatives "wanted in the first place?"

Is this more emotional rationalizing from the liberal part of the brain? It certainly seems like it.

Old 04-05-2012, 07:44 AM

Quote:
I could never align myself with the intolerance, bigotry, anger and anti intellectualism I see and hear exhibited from conservatives in America. Perhaps what I find most troubling is alot of these people call themselves "Christians" while being in full support of an immoral and criminal invasion of Iraq that led to the slaughter of hundreds of thousands of innocent Iraqi's and the deaths of thousands of American soldiers.

I realize there is a more guilty party, and I am fully aware of which one is it, and who belongs to it. It aint me.
Quote:
Really? So all things are "equal' to a free thinker? I have to disagree. I have zero loyalty to the Democratic Party, by the way, and am registered as neither a Republican or a Democrat

So you align yourself with the liberal Democrats who did the same thing?

Do I need to drag out the YouTube video that show's your favorite Democrats vigorously supporting the takedown of Saddam Hussein and WMDs?

Are you sure you even know who you are and who you support? You say you don't support Dems or Republicans. You should tell us who you DO align with. I'd bet my next paycheck you voted straight ticket Democrats in 2008. Not a single doubt in my mind.

Old 04-05-2012, 07:45 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,858,215 times
As a Centrist, I can say it is a trial, to try and deal with the wing nuts of either group.

Old 04-05-2012, 08:00 AM

13,694 posts, read 9,011,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zekester View Post
I'm a bit of a people watcher. One thing that I've noticed over the years and found perplexing are the accusations from liberals and conservatives that their political opposites are too emotional in their thinking. Each side is convinced that they are more rational and more intelligent. They can't both be right, but they can easily both be wrong.

In my 40 years on this planet I've witnessed countless examples of overly emotional nonsense from each side of the political spectrum. I see it from the right when they call Obama a Marxist well on his way to transforming America into a pinko paradise. I see it from the left when 911 Truthers accuse the Bush administration of orchestrating an "inside job".

It's interesting that each side perceives its opposition to be irrational. This lends credibility to new studies that have found that there are two basic cognitive styles meaning that liberals and conservatives don't just disagree, but actually perceive reality differently:

1) Study finds left-wing brain, right-wing brain
2) Biology and political orientation

When I was younger I leaned to the left a bit, but as I got older I was gradually able to understand the opposite point of view until I leaned enough to the right to bring me to the center. It's clear that any idiot can blindly cheer for his/her side according to what cognitive style that they were born with. What's not so easy is to break free of entrenched thought patterns to the point that you're able to recognize your own hubris. Neither side can have it's way all the time -only a child would expect that which is probably why I find so much of the partisan bickering going on in this country so juvenile. Each side has good ideas and bad ones. It's the task of the thinking man/woman to determine which is which. What say you?
Nice post. I notice that your thread has rapidly descended into the mindless drivel that you are speaking about.

Charles Dickens wrote a marvelous book entitled "Bleak House" in which one of the leading characters, Lord Dedlock (note the name) read only those newspapers and periodicals that espoused his point of view; not for any money would he read or listen to any opposite point of view. It simply was not in his nature.

Or, try The Pickwick Papers, in which we find this description of an up-coming election in a small village (chapter 13):

"It appears, then, that the Eatanswill people, like the people of
many other small towns, considered themselves of the utmost
and most mighty importance, and that every man in Eatanswill,
conscious of the weight that attached to his example, felt himself
bound to unite, heart and soul, with one of the two great parties
that divided the town--the Blues and the Buffs. Now the Blues
lost no opportunity of opposing the Buffs, and the Buffs lost no
opportunity of opposing the Blues; and the consequence was,
that whenever the Buffs and Blues met together at public meeting,
town-hall, fair, or market, disputes and high words arose
between them. With these dissensions it is almost superfluous to
say that everything in Eatanswill was made a party question. If
the Buffs proposed to new skylight the market-place, the Blues
got up public meetings, and denounced the proceeding; if the
Blues proposed the erection of an additional pump in the High
Street, the Buffs rose as one man and stood aghast at the enormity.
There were Blue shops and Buff shops, Blue inns and Buff
inns--there was a Blue aisle and a Buff aisle in the very church itself."

So, people mindlessly adhering to a party line is not new. I guess many feel comfortable or secure when they 'merge with the crowd'.

I used to think that national issues can be identified and solved (or, if not solved, at least a path selected) by reasonable men and women working together and having open, honest debate. Now, many believe "It is my way or nothing", which has not provided much benefit to the country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies