Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2012, 08:49 AM

19,890 posts, read 18,787,722 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahigherway View Post
What is this tendency on CD of using non-responses like "it could be worse!"

Statements like "it's amazing the amount of restraint the US has" are hollow to those of us who demand peace and diplomacy worldwide. Anything else just doesn't cut it.

Peace,
brian
Sometimes diplomacy doesnt work. Chamberlain found out the hard way, as did Croatians, Rowanda, etc.

The world doesn't want the US to intervene militiarily, unless it wants us to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

266 posts, read 180,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwa1984 View Post
Oh, bull**** they have covered the healthcare debate.
As much as we are covering their key political debates. The average European has no clue about it.

1,386 posts, read 1,563,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whateverhere View Post
American cities have never been bombed int oblivion like European cities.
In the war of 1812 DC was burned to the ground and so was Atlanta in the civil war as were other cities.

Quote:
Once that changes Americans will have a much more pacifist approach towards war.
These things have already happened in the US and yet it hasn't become weakly pacifist. I use the term weak here because Yugoslavia should've never went as far as it did let alone require the United States to assist.

Old 04-06-2012, 08:50 AM

6,476 posts, read 7,337,503 times
Quote:
American cities have never been bombed int oblivion like European cities. Once that changes Americans will have a much more pacifist approach towards war.
Gee, I can hardly wait.

Old 04-06-2012, 08:51 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,800,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mco65 View Post
I don't disagree with this but you can't simply say America has never had a war on it own SOIL.. it has..
I had never said that...

Old 04-06-2012, 08:51 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,451,539 times
Quote:
American cities have never been bombed int oblivion like European cities. Once that changes Americans will have a much more pacifist approach towards war.

America WAS pacifist and ambivalent towards Europe's TWO WORLD WARS at the start of BOTH of those conflicts.

Public opinion and government position was to stay out of Europe's messes. Eventually and inevitably, American capital, resources and lives were expended on the old continent, dragged into two conflicts that make every American incursion anywhere else in the world ever look like fights on a playground in comparison.

And then what happens? European criticism that America didn't get involved "soon enough" both times!

It must be very difficult to talk out of both sides of one's mouth.

Old 04-06-2012, 08:52 AM

19,890 posts, read 18,787,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneTraveler View Post
Sounds like we need to copy that system.

By the way, other countries with universal healthcare systems do have countless third parties working together to provide health care to their populations.

France for instance (repeatedly ranked as having the best healthcare system in the world) has government funded health insurance that pays for up to 80% of any healthcare need. If the citizen desires, then they can contract with a private insurance company to cover the additional 20%. Millions of people in France buy the supplemental private insurance because even if the government pays 80% of a $200,000 hospital bill, you are still left with a $40,000 bill to pay.

The only universal healthcare system that I can think of where the sole third party is the government is the UK.
e

Maybe not, their system has many flaws, not the least of which, it is unsustanable. We need a third way, not what we have, not what they have, but something different.

Although some Europen countries allow third party insurance the vast majority are covered by the government, and healthcare is government run.

Old 04-06-2012, 08:55 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,451,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
I can't blame Russia, it had been invaded by the Germans, who were after Russian oil and other resources among other things. It is a natural reaction to fight back and many times further than the original borders in order to create a buffer for the future.

You can't blame Russia for being IN Germany.

You can BLAME Russia for never leaving.

You criticize the United States whilst simultaneously apologizing for a power that literally subjugated formerly free peoples of Eastern Europe. This is puzzling. I know Polish people today that STILL resent Russians!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling
Definitely, at least today EU politicians don't do or care for what people want. I really wish European countries would leave NATO and make their own decisions. Being associated with the US is a problem these days.

Trust me. I want nothing more than for the United States to pull ALL of its defense dollars having anything to do with European protection off the table. Stand on your own, or fall.

We'll soon see if Europeans can remain unentangled in world affairs when left to their own devices. They have SUCH a proud history of not meddling or spreading misery across the globe, I'm sure it won't be hard, right?

1,386 posts, read 1,563,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
I can't blame Russia, it had been invaded by the Germans, who were after Russian oil and other resources among other things. It is a natural reaction to fight back and many times further than the original borders in order to create a buffer for the future.
Russia brought a lot of its problems on itself. Read up on the concept of the Paradox of the insecure empire.

Quote:
Definitely, at least today EU politicians don't do or care for what people want.
Yeah that is a good thing alright! After all don't want people to ever question there lords and masters in the EU.

Quote:
I really wish European countries would leave NATO and make their own decisions. Being associated with the US is a problem these days.
There more likely to leave the EU at this point.

266 posts, read 180,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwa1984 View Post
In the war of 1812 DC was burned to the ground and so was Atlanta in the civil war as were other cities.

These things have already happened in the US and yet it hasn't become weakly pacifist. I use the term weak here because Yugoslavia should've never went as far as it did let alone require the United States to assist.
1812 some american cities were burned in the civil war. 200 years ago!!!! Many of the inhabitants of Dresden and Hamburg , London and Coventry that had to indulge firebombings are still alive today. You don't want compare the firebombings of ww2 to burning down cities in the civil war 200 years ago, do you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies