Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2012, 12:36 AM

4,919 posts, read 4,834,761 times

Advertisements

Okay .. I am no expert on the inner workings of mattresses, (I'm an 'expert' of the outsides though) but .. three or four questions arise here:

(1 Are mattress springs 'really' that strong?

(2 Buses are diesel .. right? Does diesel 'explode' or 'flash ignite' in the same way that gasoline does?

(3 Have they already tested and verified that this idea of a 'spring loaded' bomb might actually work?

(4 Is it now time to ban all mattresses everywhere!?

Quote:
UPDATE: A bus and six cars were torched in the blaze.
The New York Daily News reported:

A twin-size mattress that ended up under an MTA bus is being blamed for sparking a bizarre Thursday night Brooklyn blaze that left the bus and six parked cars torched.

The S53 bus from Staten Island ran over the mattress just after 11 p.m. and dragged it across the Verrazano Bridge, a police source said.

Metal springs in the mattress apparently punctured the bus’ gas tank, setting the coach ablaze moments after the driver pulled over in Bay Ridge and evacuated passengers.

Witnesses said gas from the bus spilled into the gutter on Dahlgren Place near 92nd St., triggering a fiery stream underneath a half-dozen cars that rapidly went up in flames.

No one was injured.
BREAKING: Bus Explosion & Fire in New York City – Photos | The Gateway Pundit
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2012, 12:56 AM

348 posts, read 266,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrClose View Post
Okay .. I am no expert on the inner workings of mattresses, (I'm an 'expert' of the outsides though) but .. three or four questions arise here:

(1 Are mattress springs 'really' that strong?

(2 Buses are diesel .. right? Does diesel 'explode' or 'flash ignite' in the same way that gasoline does?

(3 Have they already tested and verified that this idea of a 'spring loaded' bomb might actually work?

(4 Is it now time to ban all mattresses everywhere!?

BREAKING: Bus Explosion & Fire in New York City – Photos | The Gateway Pundit
Diesel fuel does not ignite like gasoline does. It must be compressed for detonation. You can sit there forever waiving a match over it and nothing will happen. On gasoline, the vapors are highly flammable. You stand back ten feet and just toss a lit match anywhere near where gas has been spilled or poured...POOOOF! Some buses are gas but not as many. A mattress spring is pretty strong. Haven't you seen the commercial with the man and woman adult couple jumping on it at the same time before. They're heat treated and tempered as well. I'm not sure of the Rockwell C offhand. It's durable though.

Old 04-06-2012, 01:13 AM

4,919 posts, read 4,834,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampfireR View Post
Diesel fuel does not ignite like gasoline does. It must be compressed for detonation. You can sit there forever waiving a match over it and nothing will happen. On gasoline, the vapors are highly flammable. You stand back ten feet and just toss a lit match anywhere near where gas has been spilled or poured...POOOOF! Some buses are gas but not as many. A mattress spring is pretty strong. Haven't you seen the commercial with the man and woman adult couple jumping on it at the same time before. They're heat treated and tempered as well. I'm not sure of the Rockwell C offhand. It's durable though.
I thought that the mattress commercial that you are talking about was for Tempurpedic which has no springs?

I knew the answer to the diesel question.
It was just my 'smart-alicky' way of saying .. s u r e .. I'm really gonna believe this story!

I 'didn't' know that there are still gas powered buses .. especially in paranoid, politically correct, glo-bull warming fanatical New York!

Old 04-06-2012, 02:03 AM

348 posts, read 266,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrClose View Post
I thought that the mattress commercial that you are talking about was for Tempurpedic which has no springs?

I knew the answer to the diesel question.
It was just my 'smart-alicky' way of saying .. s u r e .. I'm really gonna believe this story!

I 'didn't' know that there are still gas powered buses .. especially in paranoid, politically correct, glo-bull warming fanatical New York!
I've seen four kids jump on a mattress before and not break it. Mind you, it was a newer one and not half shot already. I could see a spring trearing through the tank. Just glancing/skidding hard over a rock can rupture a tank.

Old 04-06-2012, 02:24 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampfireR View Post
You can sit there forever waiving a match over it and nothing will happen.

It's just harder to get going. If you have a giant wick(aka mattress) it will easily burn and then it just feeds on itself. I believe once you have enough heat the diesel itself will burn similar to gasoline because all that heat is producing a lot of vapor.

Old 04-06-2012, 03:35 AM

6,193 posts, read 5,368,535 times
I wonder how Holder or the DHS will investigate this.

I mean, obviously SOMEONE removed that mattress label......

Seriously though......discarded mattresses can easily ignite a vehicle in the roadway. The two when combined are like velcro.

Old 04-06-2012, 04:40 AM

24,411 posts, read 23,065,142 times
I saw a funny pic of a car that ran over an old box spring somebody abondoned on a highway or it fell out of a truck( probably). The cars axle became entangled with the box springs wires but it was the punctured fuel tank that eventually stopped her. All she noticed was a shimmy. What a mess. Snopes . com running over a mattress.

Old 04-06-2012, 05:04 AM

14,076 posts, read 20,530,289 times
Sometimes, when a vehicle drags a combustible item, the friction generates enough heat to set it on fire, which in turn ignites grease and oil on the underside of the vehicle. Once that fire starts, everything else burns too without prompt action, including the fuel tank.

I've seen cars set on fire by a dragging tumble weed, so a mattress isn't a great surprise.

Old 04-06-2012, 05:26 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times
While it is difficult to ignite a pool of #2 oil it is not at all difficult to ignite a cloth rag wetted with oil. Once the oil is burning hot enough to create vapors a spreading puddle will spread fire. Entirely believable incident.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies