Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Has Obama hurt or helped race relations in the US?
Better ~ there is significantly more harmonious race relations 6 3.53%
No change 29 17.06%
Worse ~ Racial tensions have increased since Obama 127 74.71%
Other/None of the above 8 4.71%
Voters: 170. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2012, 01:27 PM

1,161 posts, read 1,859,623 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
The point made went WELL above your head.
This striaghtforward question went SO FAR above you folks - are you incapable of not doing ideological knee-jerks?

Sadly, no.

When you folks become grown-ups and start looking at people as just that - people - and not succumb to lazy monolithic group-think - come talk to me sometime.

Jeez.... : smack:
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2012, 01:31 PM

1,161 posts, read 1,859,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
Stunning collection of comments that reveal the widepsread, almost institutionalized prejudicial thinking which limits the detail and depth of observations in all aspects of life.

This speaks to the duration and intensity of issues that will never go away and will ensure darkness in the bright light of day.

Unfortunately for the entire nation, an unqualified and inexperienced man was elected president and opposition to his demonstrated incompetence is being confused with racial hatred.

Racism has now become a political strategy and of course charges of racism will increase as activists and minions use it to garner votes by promoting divisiveness.

Fringe elements on both side are now given the stage by the media as pols use them in a proxy war to distract attention from issues important to all.

Forget it. I'm sad to say the serious adult discussion is not welcome here!

Old 04-13-2012, 01:39 PM

2,301 posts, read 2,033,947 times
I'm going to get back to the OP and answer the question. And you guys realize that I know everything, so this will be worth reading.

Race relations have remained nearly the same since Obama's election. I think they may have improved marginally. Ironically,when it comes to race relations, I sometimes wonder if Obama "gets it". For example, he should have kept his mouth shut about the Martin/Zimmerman case. Instead he said something about how Martin would look like his son. I was wincing and shaking my head over that one. Obama showed really bad form because he took sides in a racially-charged legal case, a case without any kind of conclusive evidence. He should have said something neutral, something like, "I will be observing, watching to see that justice is followed through for all parties." (Of course the entire case is really not his domain anyway.) Obama went off in a similar wrong direction with the Gates/Crowley thing a few years ago. To straighten out that faux pas, a beer party at the White House was required.

He did get rid of Jerimiah Wright as his minister, but even that took the political pressure of an election. And Obama should not have been listening to that stuff in the first place. It was the one factor in the last election that almost cost Obama my vote. Yes, I voted for Obama. And guess what...

Anyway, Obama has said things concerning race that I saw as being spot-on. Words like, "We are still paying for the past." And he has also said things, at time critical things, to encourage racial minorities to improve their social situation. So overall I give him a kind of mixed revue.

Old 04-19-2012, 09:04 AM

17,468 posts, read 12,940,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Hmmmph...i'm not complaining. Things look pretty good from where i sit.

Work harder and stop complaining....then things might look better.
This is good advice, but when someone from the right suggests this some how they become against poor people..........wonder why

Old 04-19-2012, 09:09 AM

52,697 posts, read 34,564,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
This is good advice, but when someone from the right suggests this some how they become against poor people..........wonder why
not only 'against poor people' - - invariably, the 'racist' and 'bigot' cards come along for the ride.

Old 04-19-2012, 09:16 AM

1,610 posts, read 1,782,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GalileoSmith View Post
I'm going to get back to the OP and answer the question. And you guys realize that I know everything, so this will be worth reading.

Race relations have remained nearly the same since Obama's election. I think they may have improved marginally. Ironically,when it comes to race relations, I sometimes wonder if Obama "gets it". For example, he should have kept his mouth shut about the Martin/Zimmerman case. Instead he said something about how Martin would look like his son. I was wincing and shaking my head over that one. Obama showed really bad form because he took sides in a racially-charged legal case, a case without any kind of conclusive evidence. He should have said something neutral, something like, "I will be observing, watching to see that justice is followed through for all parties." (Of course the entire case is really not his domain anyway.) Obama went off in a similar wrong direction with the Gates/Crowley thing a few years ago. To straighten out that faux pas, a beer party at the White House was required.

He did get rid of Jerimiah Wright as his minister, but even that took the political pressure of an election. And Obama should not have been listening to that stuff in the first place. It was the one factor in the last election that almost cost Obama my vote. Yes, I voted for Obama. And guess what...

Anyway, Obama has said things concerning race that I saw as being spot-on. Words like, "We are still paying for the past." And he has also said things, at time critical things, to encourage racial minorities to improve their social situation. So overall I give him a kind of mixed revue.
Blacks and hispanics see things differently than whites, if your white then your not gonna see things in the San light. Obama spoke from his heart and I respect that greatly.

Old 04-19-2012, 09:29 AM

10,854 posts, read 9,303,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
Of course,and its because whites are afraid they are losing power.
I think everyone KNEW race relations were going to get worse,not better,with a black man in the white house.
I haven't seen a single action of his that alienates whites and Christians.
Things will get worse as the demographic changes become more pronounced over the next 20 to 30 years. America is about to undergo the biggest demographic upheaval in its history.

What happens when the majority isn't the majority anymore?

Old 04-19-2012, 09:39 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,822,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cougfan View Post
This striaghtforward question went SO FAR above you folks - are you incapable of not doing ideological knee-jerks?

Sadly, no.

When you folks become grown-ups and start looking at people as just that - people - and not succumb to lazy monolithic group-think - come talk to me sometime.

Jeez.... : smack:
Don't blame me for your shortcomings.

Old 04-19-2012, 09:46 AM

20,868 posts, read 23,558,348 times
I believe it has gotten worse but not because of what Obama has done but because of what right-wing pundits have done. They are the ones who constantly bring up the word racist. They are the ones who didn't care about taxes and our freedoms when Bush was in office but all of the sudden developed the Tea Party when Obama won even though they had no proof that Obama would raise any taxes. So yeah racism has gotten worse. Blame it on the racist conservatives who have shown their true selves since Obama became President.

Old 04-19-2012, 10:07 AM

2,440 posts, read 3,431,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
I believe it has gotten worse but not because of what Obama has done but because of what right-wing pundits have done. They are the ones who constantly bring up the word racist. They are the ones who didn't care about taxes and our freedoms when Bush was in office but all of the sudden developed the Tea Party when Obama won even though they had no proof that Obama would raise any taxes. So yeah racism has gotten worse. Blame it on the racist conservatives who have shown their true selves since Obama became President.
Yeah, its like now that a black dude is in power, 'running' everything, there is all this gnashing of teeth and struggle to get him out of that CIC chair. Why did we ever fantasize that Conservative America would give that power up without a war breaking out?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies