Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2012, 12:04 PM

381 posts, read 507,051 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
As for eyewitnesses, as evidence goes nothing is more unreliable that the human sense of recall as the conflicting statements of the numerous witnesses has demonstrated.
what you're saying is that witnesses are not admissible in court and experts are more trustworthy than witnesses. there were no conflicting statements from the other witnesses because they were ear-witnesses vs one eyewitness to the screaming and person on the bottom. the kid's mom retracted her son's statement. she said the cops mislead her son in saying the guy in red was on the bottom.

Quote:
But either way, who was on top and who was on the bottom is one part of the puzzle, but being on the losing end of a fight that you provoke still does not justify the use of deadly force as set forth under Florida statutes.
if you add more of the puzzle: the dead one didn't have injuries and the one on the bottom was witnessed to have head and nose injuries, it doesn't take a forensics expert to figure out who was the aggressor and who was the victim. a good example is an armed battered wife with bruises and a dead husband with no injuries but a gunshot wound. can you tell me who was the aggressor?

Old 04-16-2012, 12:08 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,972,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
And that would be a damn shame.

What does this really mean? I can pick a fight with someone and harass them until they reach their breaking point, and then kill them because I felt threatened?

I don't think it's that plain and simple. Better hold off on the ticker-tape parade for zimmerman.
Amen. It will only be a 6 member jury, and the 1960 style Mississippi Jim Crow jury nullifaction era has ended. Thank God.

No doubt, at some point, GZ's lawyers will attempt to get a deal for manslaughter, as the risk is too great for him. 2nd degree starts at 25 years, and in this case, I'd bet he would get closer to the max, life w/o parole, than the minimum.

I'm not sure the state will deal. Its not often you have weapon, known murderer, voice analysts, and by now, precise distance and angle of shot which would tear apart self defense, plus the SYG author proclaiming this case clearly fails to qualify.

Old 04-16-2012, 12:08 PM

9,949 posts, read 8,853,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Divine Shadow View Post
a good example is an armed battered wife with bruises and a dead husband with no injuries but a gunshot wound. can you tell me who was the aggressor?
You're missing the most important part, what color is the husband?

Old 04-16-2012, 12:11 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,938,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiluha View Post
The question is "during" the physical confrontation was GZ in fear for his life, PERIOD.END.OF.STORY. not what Trayvon did or didn't do earlier that day or the months leading up to that moment...

Not admissible!
I agree with this, although I believe a lot of what is allowed really depends on the judge, but I doubt if a judge will show bias in such a high profile case.

We need to focus on what's important. So many others on this forum keep mentioning Trayvon's school suspensions, as if that proves he deserved to be shot to death. They are also are making this an issue about race. To quote an article in "The "Atlantic" by Ta-Nehisi Coates published last week.

[URL="http://www.theatlantic.com/national/archive/2012/04/focusing-on-whats-important-in-the-trayvon-martin-case/255629/"]Focusing on What's Important in the Trayvon Martin Case[/URL]

"But more importantly the protests aren't merely about Trayvon Martin's killing, they are about the failure of a police department to rigorously investigate a crime. Lee's story points to other such incidents in which the same thing happened. At its root, Trayvon Martin's killing is a law and order case, and you would think conservatives would latch on to that. Instead, with few exceptions, we are being told that the true calamity here is the presence of Al Sharpton.

I don't expect law enforcement to heal the racial divide. I don't expect cops to do the work of society. And George Zimmerman could be president of the local chapter of the NAACP, for all I care. When someone is killed--regardless of the race of the shooter or the victim--I expect them to give it all the due attention law enforcement can muster. That did not happen here. And it isn't the first time."

Now that an arrest has been made, at least the judicial process will begin. That's all the Martin family ever wanted. They will never get their son back, but at least his death hasn't been ignored.

Old 04-16-2012, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
Amen. It will only be a 6 member jury, and the 1960 style Mississippi Jim Crow jury nullifaction era has ended. Thank God.

No doubt, at some point, GZ's lawyers will attempt to get a deal for manslaughter, as the risk is too great for him. 2nd degree starts at 25 years, and in this case, I'd bet he would get closer to the max, life w/o parole, than the minimum.

I'm not sure the state will deal. Its not often you have weapon, known murderer, voice analysts, and by now, precise distance and angle of shot which would tear apart self defense, plus the SYG author proclaiming this case clearly fails to qualify.

Old 04-16-2012, 12:12 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,054,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Divine Shadow View Post
what you're saying
What I am saying is what I said. Period.

Old 04-16-2012, 12:13 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,892,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiluha View Post
It doesn't matter who initiated the physical confrontation in a SYG case, what matters is if the person feared for his/her life during the confrontation. This may help explain it....Judge Beth Bloom dismisses case
This may just be an old fashioned self-defense case.

Old 04-16-2012, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
This may just be an old fashioned self-defense case.
That's exactly what it looks like if you put all the BS aside.

You have one man defending his life against another and that lead to the other man getting shot.

Does a person have the right to defend their life? Of course they do.

Did the person have the legal right to carry the gun he used to defend himself? Yes he did.

Did the person defending himself flee the scene, lie about what took place or try to hide his weapon? No, he actually called 911 before he defended himself.

Did the person defending his life have any visible injuries? Yes

Did the person being he shot to defend himself have any visible injuries aside from the gunshot wound? Nope

Old 04-16-2012, 12:18 PM

1,765 posts, read 2,197,594 times
Quote:
And that would be a damn shame.

What does this really mean? I can pick a fight with someone and harass them until they reach their breaking point, and then kill them because I felt threatened?

Essentially...however, the judge will look at surrounding evidence to support or dispute the self-defense (SYG) claim...In the SYG hearing all evidence will be made available and if it supports GZ claim it will be dismissed, if not, he will go to trial...

It is a slippery slope for sure...

Quote:
I don't think it's that plain and simple. Better hold off on the ticker-tape parade for zimmerman.
Who said anything about a "ticker-tape parade" for GZ...please...I'm relaying information and opinions from all angles of this sad, tragic case...

Old 04-16-2012, 12:19 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,127,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post

Will liberals rescind their Uncle Tom branding of Cosby now?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies