Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-13-2012, 03:36 PM

2,010 posts, read 2,372,640 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
Dumbest thing I've ever heard?

Trayvon Martin's death: 4 lessons about race in America

Sadly, being black in America is still dangerous
Martin's killing is a stark reminder that even today, "one of the burdens of being a black male is carrying the heavy weight of other people's suspicions," says Jonathan Capehart in The Washington Post. "One minute you're going about your life, the next you could be pleading for it, if you're lucky." Martin wasn't, and that "has black parents around the country clutching their sons a little closer." More frightening still, says Christy Oglesby at CNN, is that Martin followed the rules we black mothers tell our sons to keep them alive: Look sharp, avoid trouble, don't ever run in public. I'm sure some readers "just sucked their teeth in disgusted disbelief and decided that I'm exaggerating.... I'm not. If I were, Trayvon would be alive."
Trayvon Martin's death: 4 lessons about race in America - The Week

Not dumb, but very sad!
Refer to the original post I responded to. Some made the assertion that blacks who run through a white neighborhoods get shot. That is a dumb statement. Stop the spin, and respond to that.

Old 04-13-2012, 03:37 PM

39,875 posts, read 26,526,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
Here is my opinion on the situation.

We know the fact that Martin was a minor is going to play a roll in court.

We know the fact that Martin was pursued by Zimmerman against neighborhood watch rules and being advised not to.

There is a missing piece of the puzzle. If the screams heard on the 911 call is Martin, there will be enough evidence for 2nd degree murder.

If Zimmerman can prove that Martin jumped on him and beat him down to the point of his life being in danger he will probably walk with a slap on the hand because Martin was a minor.

The truth probably is somewhere in between but Im not going to judge.

The biggest problem that I have is the fact that no charges where going to be file after the detective decided that Zimmermans story wasnt factual and manslaughter charges where dropped by someone else. The Martin family, Al Sharpton and everyone else had the right to demand the case was looked at again and charges filed as appropriate by the prosecutor. No one wanted to judge Zimmerman, they just wanted fair trial. That is whats happening. Another issue is people are forgeting that Zimmerman is a criminal that was given a license to carry. All this stuff about him crying his first night in jail is silly. He should cry! Think of Martins family loosing their son.
1)
Quote:
We know the fact that Martin was pursued by Zimmerman against neighborhood watch rules and being advised not to.
No, listen to the video tape. Zimmerman was following Martin at a distance. While he was doing so, he was told "we don't need you to do that". Based on post 970, in less than 20 seconds, and perhaps immediately, he stopped. The altercation was at least a couple minutes after that, after Z stopped following M.

2)
Quote:
Another issue is people are forgeting that Zimmerman is a criminal that was given a license to carry.
Is he? I believe he was arrested after an altercation at a bar. But I understood that the charges were dropped, is this wrong? If he wasn't convicted, he has no criminal record, and is eligable for a CCW permit.

Old 04-13-2012, 03:40 PM

6,175 posts, read 12,942,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sturmgeist View Post
Can't wait for the riots when Zimmerman is set free as the innocent man he is.

Hope he get's some big $$$ in a lawsuit for the unjust treatment by the media and law enforcement,interviews and a book deal, maybe even movie.
You're just as bad as the guys who want to see him executed. Both of you assuming something that none of us can possibly know. Based on what? What makes you so sure Zimmerman is innocent?

Old 04-13-2012, 03:41 PM

1,230 posts, read 1,039,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna-501 View Post
A neighborhood watch is just that. They watch and call the police!!!
One interesting thing from Piers Morgan's interview with brother Robert Zimmerman is that he now wants to characterize George as being off duty that evening. By pulling that trick out of the hat George is suddenly not subject to the rules governing Neighborhood Watch but is a private citizen not subject to NW rules.

Poof! He is now (according to Robert) a lawfully armed private citizen under all the quite different rules/laws/protections that apply. Yes, Robert is a clever one indeed!

Old 04-13-2012, 03:42 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,943,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna-501 View Post
except that a black guy running through a white neighborhood would probably get him shot. He didn't know that he would get shot anyway.
Who said this was a White neighborhood? The 6:00 news? There are over 50 Black residents who live in the Twin Lakes townhouses. Maybe that means it's "white" but compared to what? 20% or more means it's a racially mixed development, at least it does to me. About 20% of its residents are Hispanic. I suppose it depends on where you live. 20% is 20% more than my neighborhood. Last year I lived in a community with 551 homes and I believe it was 100% White. (no, this isn't on purpose) Much of Florida is very segregated.

Old 04-13-2012, 03:44 PM

381 posts, read 507,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
Dumbest thing I've ever heard?

Trayvon Martin's death: 4 lessons about race in America

Sadly, being black in America is still dangerous
Martin's killing is a stark reminder that even today, "one of the burdens of being a black male is carrying the heavy weight of other people's suspicions," says Jonathan Capehart in The Washington Post. "One minute you're going about your life, the next you could be pleading for it, if you're lucky." Martin wasn't, and that "has black parents around the country clutching their sons a little closer." More frightening still, says Christy Oglesby at CNN, is that Martin followed the rules we black mothers tell our sons to keep them alive: Look sharp, avoid trouble, don't ever run in public. I'm sure some readers "just sucked their teeth in disgusted disbelief and decided that I'm exaggerating.... I'm not. If I were, Trayvon would be alive."

Trayvon Martin's death: 4 lessons about race in America - The Week

Not dumb, but very sad!
the 911 recording showed that initially, zimmerman didn't know that the suspicious person was black until the dispatcher asked for a description. this reveals that racial profiling was not a determining factor for picking out trayvon as being suspicious. normally, it would contain language such as, there's a black kid looking suspicious, instead zimmerman didn't use skin color when first calling about the suspicious person.

Old 04-13-2012, 03:46 PM

381 posts, read 507,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DifferentDrum View Post
One interesting thing from Piers Morgan's interview with brother Robert Zimmerman is that he now wants to characterize George as being off duty that evening. By pulling that trick out of the hat George is suddenly not subject to the rules governing Neighborhood Watch but is a private citizen not subject to NW rules.

Poof! He is now (according to Robert) a lawfully armed private citizen under all the quite different rules/laws/protections that apply. Yes, Robert is a clever one indeed!
doesn't matter if he was on duty of off duty. there s no set hours for volunteer watch. he is a lawful citizen 24/7 and can legally own a firearm.

Old 04-13-2012, 03:48 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,136,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimpleMan View Post
Refer to the original post I responded to. Some made the assertion that blacks who run through a white neighborhoods get shot. That is a dumb statement. Stop the spin, and respond to that.
Black moms tell their sons to not run so as not to risk being tagged as a someone running from a crime. They might get stopped, attacked, beat up or shot in...certain instances. Where's the spin?

Old 04-13-2012, 03:50 PM

11,186 posts, read 6,510,171 times
Quote:

Uh oh, I had the same thought as brother. Wasn't gz on the way to a store when he spotted tm ? I know the NW 'rules' have been posted, but I don't really know when somebody is supposedly acting on behalf of NW and when they're just a person who sees something that strikes them as suspicious.

Old 04-13-2012, 03:50 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,943,904 times
Quote:

I hate to point this out, since I often agree with your posts, but from the very beginning the police said he wasn't on watch patrol that evening. He was on his way to run errands. I once posted a quote from an interview with Sanford Police Chief Bill Lee (who "temporarily" stepped down) where he said Zimmerman was on his way to Target.

However, I wonder why he was wearing a gun holstered to his waist. I don't know about you, but I never see anyone walking around Target with a gun. Maybe the guns are well concealed, but usually they're in jeans and tees, so a holster would be difficult to hide. One poster on CD said he always carries a loaded gun in a fanny pack.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies