Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2012, 11:58 AM

9,240 posts, read 8,676,669 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
Failed comprehension at its best.
No your failure to comprehend.

Old 04-20-2012, 12:00 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,847,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
If the names listed are children of illegal aliens, please share your proof. I think we are all aware of the sacrifices made by Hispanic soldiers. But, how is that relevant to this issue?
The issue at hand is that you demand a standardized collective, for these Hispanics (and others) to give up their culture, ethnic preferences, language and their identity in general, to become a monolithic collective in those regards, a nationalization of social paradigms.

Quote:
I'm not following you. How does having an "American culture" deny respect for other cultures? This is one country, so how many umbrellas should we have? What am I missing?
It began with your dance around a simple question: Define American Culture. You said, there is only one culture. I asked, then why do state righter's make claim of people from each state being different, in their needs and ought to not be assumed as a singular collective. Why the flip flop? The society can either operate on a singular set of rules, or it should not. Which is it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
No your failure to comprehend.
Just hang in there. It would be the best you can do.

Old 04-20-2012, 12:02 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,217,798 times
Quote:
I wonder how they managed to join the military without legal status. They would have to have stolen an identity, because illegal aliens are ineligible to join all branches of our military.
I found the information on cafeconlecherepublicans.com in an article titled "From the halls of Monetzuma."

Apparently one soldier (WWII) lied and said he was born in Texas.

Old 04-20-2012, 12:09 PM

9,240 posts, read 8,676,669 times
Quote:
The issue at hand is that you demand a standardized collective, for these Hispanics (and others) to give up their culture, ethnic preferences, language and their identity in general, to become a monolithic collective in those regards, a nationalization of social paradigms.

It began with your dance around a simple question: Define American Culture. You said, there is only one culture. I asked, then why do state righter's make claim of people from each state being different, in their needs and ought to not be assumed as a singular collective. Why the flip flop? The society can either operate on a singular set of rules, or it should not. Which is it?

Soon it will dawn upon you.

Old 04-20-2012, 12:20 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,577,209 times
Quote:

Please quote where I EVER stated that ANYONE must relinquish their culture, ethnic preferences, language to become an assimilated American.

Also, please quote where I even remotely implied that we have ONLY ONE CULTURE. No, what I stated is we have an identity as a nation, as do all other countries in this world. That is what defines our "American" culture, and distinguishes us from others.

There is no flip-flop. In fact, I would be the LAST person to support such. After all, my ancestors were stripped of everything -- language, identity, culture, freedom, dignity, etc, etc, etc. . . .

Don't try to put words into my mouth. If I said ANY of what you contend, post it!

Old 04-20-2012, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Please quote where I EVER stated that ANYONE must relinquish their culture, ethnic preferences, language to become an assimilated American.
Define assimilation. Would it entail my choice to speak in German when visiting German communities in Central Texas? Would it entail in my choice to wear Kilt to Scarborough Festival tomorrow? And follow it up in the evening with a nice Italian dinner, and French coffee, and Indian buffet on Sunday?

Old 04-20-2012, 12:32 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,577,209 times
Quote:
Define assimilation. Would it entail my choice to speak in German when visiting German communities in Central Texas? Would it entail in my choice to wear Kilt to Scarborough Festival tomorrow? And follow it up in the evening with a nice Italian dinner, and French coffee, and Indian buffet on Sunday?
I don't give a flying fig who you speak with, or what language you use. In fact, I married a Spanish-speaking immigrant. So, you can stop this nonsense.

Now, back to your baseless accusations. Quote my posts.

Old 04-20-2012, 12:39 PM

Quote:
I don't give a flying fig who you speak with, or what language you use. In fact, I married a Spanish-speaking immigrant. So, you can stop this nonsense.

Now, back to your baseless accusations. Quote my posts.
Okay, so now you've found self cornered, and with nothing meaningful to say. Good. I fully expected that.

Old 04-20-2012, 12:43 PM

5,299 posts, read 4,852,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
They are coming to my country, not the other way around.
Just as if you were visiting my house. You would not act hostile. Non assimilation is hostile.
An analogy of your "house" doesn't work as a substitution for the United States, unless you believe your household represents what you want to see for 100% of Americans...

I just looked in the fridge, and I didn't see any tortillas...

Old 04-20-2012, 12:43 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,217,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
I hope they aren't as mean natured to us as right wing whites are to them.

How come no Christian has stepped up and answered my question?

In the eyes of God, are illegal Hispanics here in the USA your brother?
I believe in the eyes of God we are all equal and brothers and sisters.

I've taken communion next to men and women I knew for a fact were illegal. The priest asked none of us for our papers.

I'm quite sure Christ didn't care about our status.

(Let me tell you. It's quite humbling to take communion next to a man who has come to mass directly from the fields and wants only to worship his God.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies