Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2012, 02:52 AM

5,365 posts, read 6,359,020 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
What the hell is an Aryan? I've heard this and that to the point that even the AB can't make up their minds.
Blonde hair, blue eyes, chiseled facial features. Like me! lol.

Old 04-21-2012, 05:45 AM

2,239 posts, read 3,237,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post

Do you agree that Hispanics don't assimilate?
You white people make me laugh. Assimlate...give me a effin break.

WTF you people want? You want Latinos to eat Mash Potatoes and meatloaf?
You want Latinos to use Dude and Rad in their vocabulary? WTF do you people want?

Why is it so effin hard for white people to accept people who are DIFFERENT from them and from different CULTURES.

Get OVER IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 04-21-2012, 07:11 AM

14,306 posts, read 13,350,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
Just Mexicans? Xenophobes hate ALL non American people; even white skin ones.
Note how the race/skin color card is always pulled with these people and how they constantly insist that our objection to illegal immigration is based on that? What a crock of smearing lies! I in fact envy the skin color of most Mexicans because I am pasty white. I don't have a problem with any ethnic/national/race or skin color group. It is all about legal status in this country to me and that everyone American puts this country and its laws first. That doesn't stop these race card pulling smearmasters from their hateful rhetoric though. Shameful!

There is a small "minority" of Americans whose views on illegal immigration may be based on race/skin color but why harp about them when they don't represent the majority's views? There is a small minority of racists whose views are based on skin color and race in every group so what is the point? I guess it is ok just as long as it isn't a white person with those views. Don't you just love the double standards of these people?

Old 04-21-2012, 07:14 AM

14,306 posts, read 13,350,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer75 View Post

You want Latinos to use Dude and Rad in their vocabulary? WTF do you people want?

Why is it so effin hard for white people to accept people who are DIFFERENT from them and from different CULTURES.

No, we want them to learn and respect this nation's langauge. We want them to respect our immigration laws just for starters. I couldn't care less that they eat burritos. Know what your talking about before you make idiotic statements.

Old 04-21-2012, 07:24 AM

25,898 posts, read 16,620,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post

Do you agree that Hispanics don't assimilate?
I absolutely do not agree. I think like any group it takes a generation or even two to sever ties to where people come from. My German great-grandparents I'm sure struggled with adapting and with language. My grandparents probably finally adapted and became full Americans.

We have a large population of Mexican-Americans in St Paul and they are the nicest Americans you will ever meet. Very Catholic, very hard working people.

I'll say this, of all the immigrants to this country, I would have to say the Hmong are embracing American Culture quicker than any in history. The Somalis I think are on the other end of that measuring stick.

Old 04-21-2012, 07:37 AM

2,399 posts, read 4,229,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer75 View Post

Which doesn't make for a cohesive country. Hence, why immigration should end, or at least only extend to those of traditional European descent.

Old 04-21-2012, 07:51 AM

11,157 posts, read 29,404,132 times
have you thought of having Spanish as the second official language like Canada has with French and English where both are equal?
I mean it is not perfect but we try to work it out and work together as a Country that is willing to find solutions to problems we all face.

I mean it makes our country more diverse and lets both Anglophones and Francophones Canadians still have their own culture..Well french Canadians have more of their own culture while the rest of us english speaking Canadians pretty much have the same Culture as you guys south of the 49th except when it comes to hockey as that is a major part of all Canadian culture where it is literally bigger than politics and can be a politcal issue of debate..

Just a thought from north of the US border on things you could try or not up to you

Old 04-21-2012, 08:02 AM

2,399 posts, read 4,229,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
I absolutely do not agree. I think like any group it takes a generation or even two to sever ties to where people come from. My German great-grandparents I'm sure struggled with adapting and with language. My grandparents probably finally adapted and became full Americans.
For Mexicans who are Castillians, sure, they could assimilate in two generations. For mestizo or Indian Mexicans, they will never truly assimilate due to the racial differences. Society is a racial construct, and a culture is based, in part, on the differences in race, including the perceived differences. People react differently toward those who look like them as opposed to those who look differently from them. Sure, for a small minority, they may be truly race-blind, but for the majority, it is hard-wired. There can be no true cohesive culture or country with a squabbling band of various races. It can't happen. It's why history has shown us that such unnatural settings are rife with strife, chaos, and ultimately fracture.

Germans are white. Irish are white. Most Italians are white (some southern Italians, including Sicilians, are mixed from previous invasions). These people can assimilate in a few generations. Mestizos and Indians (feather) from south of the border can't assimilate. They see themselves as different, and the dominant population (whites) sees them as different. Assimilation is often misinterpreted to mean acculturation. Assimilation does not mean picking up cultural traits. It means blending in and being seen as one of the whole, to be unseen as different, relatively speaking, from the norm. This is why the melting pot analogy worked with Europeans. They were of the same race, and once a generation or two had passed, in which the foreign accent was gone, and many of the hard-core cultural traits were diluted, they were pretty much undetectable to the average person. This will never happen with members of other races. The perceived difference, amongst the whites and non-whites, leads individuals to become more aware of their past and who they are, even to engage in cultural practices more closely related to those of their race. Think about how Mexicans have failed to assimilate, even after being here for three generations. This is why. They become emboldened in the views of their differences.

Quote:
We have a large population of Mexican-Americans in St Paul and they are the nicest Americans you will ever meet. Very Catholic, very hard working people.
Let's break this down, shall we. Being in the Twin Cities, your invasion is a very recent phenomena. First, let's be clear, the first invaders are always the nicest, less criminal prone invaders, as most are coming to work, and they don't want to rock the boat, lest they be noticed and/or deported. Secondly, early in the invasion process, before a significant flux of invaders has relocated itself to a locale, the invaders have less opportunity to congregate and advocate for their group. They realize that they are severely outnumbered, and that they can't tip the demographic components of an area.

However, this all begins to change as the numbers grow. You start getting the dregs of the invader community. With greater numbers, they start developing more of a group-think or group consciousness. They start thinking about or talking about taking over an area. They become emboldened even more to resist acculturation, and so displays of their homelands flags begin to be seen, in front of houses, hanging from rear view mirrors, emblazened as stickers on their trucks, on their clothing, you name it. They also begin to march for "illegal alien rights". All of this has been seen in areas where the numbers are above a trickle, and in most places of the U.S., it has gone above a trickle. Being in the Twin Cities, however, with the colder weather, you're a bit isolated from much of it.

Make no mistake, they aren't hard workers. If you made a fraction of a dollar in Mexico, on pesos, and then came to the United States, making ten times more than you did in Mexico, only to send it back to Mexico, would you view yourself as a hard worker? No. It's all about the economic incentive. Due to the vastly different economic realities between the United States and Mexico, these invaders have seen it a reality to take advantage of. They're not suffering, their smiling, all the way to the "bank" (though, most don't have bank accounts). Okay, they're smiling, all the way to the "checks cashed" place. Wait a minute, that may not even be correct, since many are paid under the table. It should be, they're smiling, all the way to the post office (to mail the cash back home to their families in Mexico).

Quote:
I'll say this, of all the immigrants to this country, I would have to say the Hmong are embracing American Culture quicker than any in history. The Somalis I think are on the other end of that measuring stick.
The Hmong are embracing American culture? Haven't you seen Grand Torino? The Somalis are just like most non-European immigrants, it's just they're more crime prone, and you see the realities, since many have settled in St. Paul or vicinity. Again, if you're around a significant number, you know the score, but since you don't see as many 'hispanics' in the Twin Cities as most people see in other cities, you don't know the score. Your talk of "nice" and "hard workers" reminds me of Georgians in the mid 90s, when the number of Mexicans was about what you're dealing with now. The same was said of Mexicans in California during the 70s.

If trends continue, and I imagine they will, given the number of traitors in the government and business, you'll eat your words.

Old 04-21-2012, 08:09 AM

6,721 posts, read 5,215,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars&StripesForever View Post
Which doesn't make for a cohesive country. Hence, why immigration should end, or at least only extend to those of traditional European descent.
Dude, you need to grow up. Why do you expect others to change to suit you? Since the first people, Spanish speaking people, by the way, began to colonize we has all adjusted a little to the newcomers.

Seems the native Americans adjusted the most.

The oldest city in America is Spanish, would you suggest that the take down any street signs that are in Spanish and americanize the name of the places and streets?

Old 04-21-2012, 08:10 AM

9,598 posts, read 16,605,404 times
I know I've said this often, but it always boggles my mind how Mexicans are chided for not assimilating quickly enough, but Asians get a free pass.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies