Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2012, 08:53 AM

11,186 posts, read 6,511,514 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
[snip]Here are the known facts:

[snip]
We do not know anything else for certain. [snip].
For the little bit you list as known for certain, there's sure a lot of people who want gz convicted.

Old 04-30-2012, 08:56 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,810,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
For the little bit you list as known for certain, there's sure a lot of people who want gz convicted.
For the little bit I list as known for certain, there's sure a lot of peope who think TM is a "thug" who deserved to die.

Old 04-30-2012, 09:08 AM

5,767 posts, read 5,017,437 times
Quote:
I think that's because many people feel that Zimmerman could have avoided any conflict by not following Martin. Having a stranger follow you at night is unsettling, whether you're male or female. He could have just watched to see where Martin went, but instead chose to question Martin about his presence there. The PD should have been the ones to do any questioning; had that been allowed to happen, there would have been no killing. Many people see it as a senseless death.

Old 04-30-2012, 09:12 AM

14,848 posts, read 8,214,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
You missed my long post where I mentioned that a store like Best Buy has fired employees for pursuing a shoplifter. So I won't judge you, but it wouldn't be too wise if it's against your company's policy. It's late and I'm tired, so I won't look for that post, but if you do something that's in violation of the rules, you have to accept the consequences. I don't think it's heroic unless you are saving a life. Otherwise it's just being stubborn.

I agree, if I break company policy, then the company has the right to fire me. And everyone knows that if you break company that you will most likely be fired. That is what the policy says.

Which is inapplicable to this situation. Being that, there is nothing in any policy or law that states that if Zimmerman follows someone when the cops tell him "they don't need him to do that", that he will receive any sort of consequences.

And if he breaks no laws, then there is no crime, regardless of if you think he was making stupid decisions or not. If stupid decisions alone put people in prison for life, then every single one of us would be in prison now.

The reality is, even Trayvon's girlfriend says that Trayvon was the first one to say something to Zimmerman, by asking him why he was following him. And Zimmerman replied, why are you here? In which they both ended up repeating themselves, rather than answering the question. So basically, even his girlfriend says that Trayvon began the confrontation with Zimmerman. Refused to answer why he was there. And we know that Zimmerman was attacked. While the funeral home people claim that Trayvon's body was basically undamaged other than the gunshot. All this after Trayvon's girlfriend told him to run home, and Trayvon said he was not going to run, he was going to walk fast.

Through deduction, we can assume that Trayvon was not so much scared of Zimmerman at the time of the altercation, but rather angry at Zimmerman for following him. That Trayvon was looking for a confrontation, and that Trayvon probably became physical with Zimmerman, punched him in the face, and jumped on top of him at some point. After which, Zimmerman shot him in the chest, and Trayvon died.

All Trayvon had to do instead of not answering Zimmermans question, was just say that he lived there, and the situation would have ended right there. But rather, he was angry and felt like Zimmerman had no right to follow him, and I guess he was going to teach Zimmerman a lesson.

Is it a sad situation? Absolutely. But, it happened. And I don't particularly think Zimmerman ever intended to shoot the kid. I do think Zimmerman thought he was defending himself during an attack. And Florida law basically gives him the right to defend himself.

Under the law as it stands, I just don't see how its possible for them to convict Zimmerman, especially not on second-degree murder charges. If anything it would have to be some kind of negligent manslaughter. I just wonder what is going to happen when Zimmerman gets acquitted.

Old 04-30-2012, 09:23 AM

6,032 posts, read 9,215,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
I agree, if I break company policy, then the company has the right to fire me. And everyone knows that if you break company that you will most likely be fired. That is what the policy says.

Which is inapplicable to this situation. Being that, there is nothing in any policy or law that states that if Zimmerman follows someone when the cops tell him "they don't need him to do that", that he will receive any sort of consequences.

And if he breaks no laws, then there is no crime, regardless of if you think he was making stupid decisions or not. If stupid decisions alone put people in prison for life, then every single one of us would be in prison now.

The reality is, even Trayvon's girlfriend says that Trayvon was the first one to say something to Zimmerman, by asking him why he was following him. And Zimmerman replied, why are you here? In which they both ended up repeating themselves, rather than answering the question. So basically, even his girlfriend says that Trayvon began the confrontation with Zimmerman. Refused to answer why he was there. And we know that Zimmerman was attacked. While the funeral home people claim that Trayvon's body was basically undamaged other than the gunshot. All this after Trayvon's girlfriend told him to run home, and Trayvon said he was not going to run, he was going to walk fast.

Through deduction, we can assume that Trayvon was not so much scared of Zimmerman at the time of the altercation, but rather angry at Zimmerman for following him. That Trayvon was looking for a confrontation, and that Trayvon probably became physical with Zimmerman, punched him in the face, and jumped on top of him at some point. After which, Zimmerman shot him in the chest, and Trayvon died.

All Trayvon had to do instead of not answering Zimmermans question, was just say that he lived there, and the situation would have ended right there. But rather, he was angry and felt like Zimmerman had no right to follow him, and I guess he was going to teach Zimmerman a lesson.

Is it a sad situation? Absolutely. But, it happened. And I don't particularly think Zimmerman ever intended to shoot the kid. I do think Zimmerman thought he was defending himself during an attack. And Florida law basically gives him the right to defend himself.

Under the law as it stands, I just don't see how its possible for them to convict Zimmerman, especially not on second-degree murder charges. If anything it would have to be some kind of negligent manslaughter. I just wonder what is going to happen when Zimmerman gets acquitted.
I suggest you look up more information on Dee Dee, she isn't his girlfriend and was actually in a relationship with someone else.

Also I recommend checking out her twitter postings. While she was in mourning, she was posting about having fun and other random stuff all day.

Apparently the girlfriend has been a fabrication by Crump.

Old 04-30-2012, 09:24 AM

1,765 posts, read 2,198,160 times
Quote:
I learned something from the article. Despite the number of times I've read here and on 'news' sites that police didn't take gz's clothes, apparently they did.
If true...it definitely will help the case forensically...for which side remains to be seen...

Old 04-30-2012, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evenstar51 View Post
I think that's because many people feel that Zimmerman could have avoided any conflict by not following Martin. Having a stranger follow you at night is unsettling, whether you're male or female. He could have just watched to see where Martin went, but instead chose to question Martin about his presence there. The PD should have been the ones to do any questioning; had that been allowed to happen, there would have been no killing. Many people see it as a senseless death.

According to Trayvon's girlfriend, it was Trayvon that asked Zimmerman why he was following him. Zimmerman replied, what are you doing here? So technically, Zimmerman was actually just watching Martin, as you said is what he should have done. But by watching him, he had been basically following him, because to watch him, he had to get out of his truck, because Trayvon wasn't just walking down the street anymore.

Events Leading to the Shooting of Trayvon Martin - Interactive Feature - NYTimes.com

Zimmerman did not walk up and begin to question Martin, but rather Martin walked up and began questioning Zimmerman. Had that not happened, Martin would probably still be alive.

Old 04-30-2012, 09:25 AM

11,186 posts, read 6,511,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
For the little bit I list as known for certain, there's sure a lot of peope who think TM is a "thug" who deserved to die.
True. Since I'm not in either group, I feel comfortable in believing neither group is thinking clearly.

Old 04-30-2012, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suncc49 View Post
I suggest you look up more information on Dee Dee, she isn't his girlfriend and was actually in a relationship with someone else.

Also I recommend checking out her twitter postings. While she was in mourning, she was posting about having fun and other random stuff all day.

Apparently the girlfriend has been a fabrication by Crump.

Look, Crump is the Martin's lawyer. Maybe she was a fabrication, I don't know. This is what the NYT article says...

According to Benjamin Crump, a lawyer for Trayvon’s parents, Trayvon was on his cellphone with his girlfriend before he was shot, telling her that a man was following him. Trayvon asked, “Why are you following me?” Mr. Crump said the girl told her. The girl then heard a faraway voice ask, “What are you doing around here?” Mr. Crump said. She also said that she heard what sounded like an earpiece to Trayvon’s cellphone falling away before the line went dead.

In my mind, this is the most damning evidence against Trayvon. Which basically says that Trayvon started up the confrontation that ended in his death. It doesn't really matter what Trayvon said, the very fact that Trayvon began the confrontation, is enough to show that up to that point, Zimmerman was merely keeping an eye on him. And that Trayvon was not scared of Zimmerman. But rather he was angry/annoyed that Zimmerman was following him.

So when we talk about how if Zimmerman didn't follow Martin, it wouldn't have happened. We can really list several things that could have happened differently, that would have prevented an escalation of violence. And one of them was that Trayvon could have just walked home and not said anything. Another is that Trayvon could have just said he lived there.

What no one seems to want to admit is that, Trayvon was looking for a fight, and he got a fight.

Old 04-30-2012, 09:51 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,810,305 times
Quote:
According to Trayvon's girlfriend, it was Trayvon that asked Zimmerman why he was following him. Zimmerman replied, what are you doing here? So technically, Zimmerman was actually just watching Martin, as you said is what he should have done. But by watching him, he had been basically following him, because to watch him, he had to get out of his truck, because Trayvon wasn't just walking down the street anymore.

Events Leading to the Shooting of Trayvon Martin - Interactive Feature - NYTimes.com

Zimmerman did not walk up and begin to question Martin, but rather Martin walked up and began questioning Zimmerman. Had that not happened, Martin would probably still be alive.
Nothing works like blaming the victim, does it?

Quote:
Look, Crump is the Martin's lawyer. Maybe she was a fabrication, I don't know. This is what the NYT article says...

According to Benjamin Crump, a lawyer for Trayvon’s parents, Trayvon was on his cellphone with his girlfriend before he was shot, telling her that a man was following him. Trayvon asked, “Why are you following me?” Mr. Crump said the girl told her. The girl then heard a faraway voice ask, “What are you doing around here?” Mr. Crump said. She also said that she heard what sounded like an earpiece to Trayvon’s cellphone falling away before the line went dead.

In my mind, this is the most damning evidence against Trayvon. Which basically says that Trayvon started up the confrontation that ended in his death. It doesn't really matter what Trayvon said, the very fact that Trayvon began the confrontation, is enough to show that up to that point, Zimmerman was merely keeping an eye on him. And that Trayvon was not scared of Zimmerman. But rather he was angry/annoyed that Zimmerman was following him.

So when we talk about how if Zimmerman didn't follow Martin, it wouldn't have happened. We can really list several things that could have happened differently, that would have prevented an escalation of violence. And one of them was that Trayvon could have just walked home and not said anything. Another is that Trayvon could have just said he lived there.

What no one seems to want to admit is that, Trayvon was looking for a fight, and he got a fight.
A couple of points:

Note that Trayvon supposedly asked "Why are you following me?", negating the many posts on here stating that GZ quit following TM at the dispatcher's request.

Asking, why are you following me is hardly starting a "confrontation".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies