Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2012, 11:43 PM

8,560 posts, read 6,412,432 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
What rules?
neighborhood watch rules. That stuff has been posted in this thread repeatedly.

Old 06-03-2012, 11:44 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,024,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FancyFeast5000 View Post
neighborhood watch rules.
What neighborhood watch rules do you believe Mr. Zimmerman did not follow?

Old 06-03-2012, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCCCB View Post
I see the cops trying to create evidence in reports, outside of that what rules indeed.
neighborhood watch rules.

Old 06-03-2012, 11:48 PM

10,942 posts, read 10,260,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
Thanks. I wish I could rep you. I hope I can post this. Here's the 911 call

The complete Joe Horn 9-11 call - YouTube
Thanks for posting the recording of the 9-1-1 call; it is chilling.

I don't know how anyone could listen to that tape, and hear the excitement in Horn's voice about the prospect of killing someone, and not think it was anything but coldblooded murder.

Old 06-03-2012, 11:49 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,823,758 times
Quote:
He was armed, which NW says not to do.

He pursued, which NW says not to do.

You've been on these threads before. You've seen this information before. You can go do a search for the links if you don't believe me.

Old 06-03-2012, 11:49 PM

39,875 posts, read 26,532,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
This has to be one of the most ridiculous posts I've read on this thread. Edit: Actually, that's far from true, now that I think about it.

Why do you think there's a connection? Are you saying the states without SYG laws have more crime? Can you please show me some data?

People often go free under "stand your ground" in cases that seem to make a mockery of what lawmakers intended. One man killed two unarmed people and walked out of jail. Another shot a man as he lay on the ground. Others went free after shooting their victims in the back. In nearly a third of the cases the Times analyzed, defendants initiated the fight, shot an unarmed person or pursued their victim — and still went free.
Violent crime in Florida is DOWN 14% since the SYG law was passed in 2005. How many people are alive that otherwise would be dead? How many rapes were prevented? How many armed robberies and car jackings stopped? How many violent criminals decided the risk was too great, and went "straight"?

The results are similar in the rest of the country where SYG laws have been passed.

Quote:
For those who passed "Stand Your Ground" laws, the violent crime rate did fall from 446.42 per 100,000 residents in 2004 to 431.34 per 100,000 residents in 2009, while those that did not pass them rose from 398.53 to 398.62 over that same timespan. This does seem to indicate some support for these "Stand Your Ground" laws.
I don't argue that there might be some states where the law was poorly worded and could use some ammending. But overall, these laws are working.

Life is a little harder on criminals though. There are still plenty of places with "OSHA for criminals" where law abiding people are largely forced to be defenseless. Chicago, DC and NYC come to mind.

Old 06-03-2012, 11:50 PM

10,942 posts, read 10,260,562 times
Quote:
neighborhood watch rules. That stuff has been posted in this thread repeatedly.
It has. And I believe this poster has asked the same question repeatedly.

It's a game. Ignore him/her.

Old 06-03-2012, 11:51 PM

Quote:
He was not supposed to follow anyone and not supposed to carry a gun. Look, that topic has been discussed here at length. I'm not going to go looking for all those posts for you.. Some people here have posted a lot about neighborhood watch rules and know far more about it than I do. You can search the thread for the key words.

As a matter of fact, a couple of people just a few posts up thread have posted about neighborhood watch and seem to know what they're talking about because they participate in neighborhood watch programs.

Old 06-03-2012, 11:53 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,024,945 times
Quote:
He was not supposed to follow anyone and not supposed to carry a gun. Look, that topic has been discussed here at length. I'm not going to go looking for all those posts for you.. Some people here have posted a lot about neighborhood watch rules and know far more about it than I do. You can search the thread for the key words.

As a matter of fact, a couple of people just a few posts up thread have posted about neighborhood watch and seem to know what they're talking about because they participate in neighborhood watch programs.
What do the rules state that a neighborhod watch captain is supposed to do when they are assaulted and being beaten?

Old 06-03-2012, 11:55 PM

39,875 posts, read 26,532,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCCCB View Post
Yes, that was the broad daylight robbery of their neighbor. He warned the thieves to stop or he would shoot (don't know if they had any gun).
They threatened him, then went back to steal from his neighbor.
As they started to carry loot away they walked toward him, he gave a warning and he shot at them.
One ran off and died if I remember correctly.
They both approached him ON HIS PROPERTY after he warned them to stop. Both were criminal aliens and had been convicted for drug trafficing from Columbia. I won't shed any tears for them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies