Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2012, 07:37 PM

8,560 posts, read 6,426,465 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiluha View Post
You're right, I was just thinking that Judge Lester appears to be the type of judge that will not tolerate unnecessary delays...Yesterday's arraignment was something like 26 seconds long LOL, you would have missed it if you blinked.
I still think it is too early for O'Mara to make a decision on an immunity hearing...The next hearing is on August 8th, it's a "Docket Sounding" , I've read it's a "last chance" hearing for the defendant to take a plea offer or a hearing to set trial dates??
I think it may also be referred to as "cattle call"......attorneys have to make an appearance and state on the record where they are on their cases, also some defendants enter pleas, and hearing/trial dates are set. It's a pretty chaotic event most of the time, and the proceedings move really fast usually! I think realistically, most defendants who have been offered plea deals can opt to accept that deal right up to jury selection time.....AND then sometimes the State will withdraw the plea offer....but more than likely they would prefer that a defendant take the deal and not have to go to a trial.

Old 05-09-2012, 07:41 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,993,591 times
In Florida a docket sounding is used as a chance for both parties involved to determine if a case is going to trial or if a plea will be accepted. Most of the time it is just a formality unless there's some plea bargaining. However, after this date, we'll know if Zimmerman will take a plea, since I believe it is his last chance before a trial begins as above stated.

Old 05-09-2012, 07:58 PM

1,765 posts, read 2,203,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FancyFeast5000 View Post
I think it may also be referred to as "cattle call"......attorneys have to make an appearance and state on the record where they are on their cases, also some defendants enter pleas, and hearing/trial dates are set. It's a pretty chaotic event most of the time, and the proceedings move really fast usually! I think realistically, most defendants who have been offered plea deals can opt to accept that deal right up to jury selection time.....AND then sometimes the State will withdraw the plea offer....but more than likely they would prefer that a defendant take the deal and not have to go to a trial.
Thanks I find it highly unlikely Zimmerman will take a plea, he doesn't strike me as an intelligent or mature 28 y/o, I really believe he is stubborn enough to invoke the statutory immunity regardless of advice of council...

Old 05-09-2012, 08:02 PM

10,564 posts, read 12,857,405 times
Non issue at this point. See how quickly things fade..call me when you have a verdict.

Old 05-09-2012, 08:04 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,993,591 times
We don't know what happened, so maybe he believes he's completely innocent and will fight for the chance to prove it. I hope he realizes his lawyer is very smart & experienced and takes his advice. I think he needs to be held responsible for the death of Trayvon Martin, but I also think a jury will find him not guilty, unless there's evidence we haven't seen or heard. As we've learned from reading all of the thousands of posts on just this board alone, there's too much reasonable doubt for a conviction. Only time will tell.

Old 05-09-2012, 08:13 PM

31,384 posts, read 37,149,107 times
Boys and girls we have more than a year before this will probably go to trial, so save your ammunition.

Old 05-09-2012, 08:20 PM

20,700 posts, read 12,583,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiluha View Post
Thanks I find it highly unlikely Zimmerman will take a plea, he doesn't strike me as an intelligent or mature 28 y/o, I really believe he is stubborn enough to invoke the statutory immunity regardless of advice of council...
I agree.

Old 05-09-2012, 08:41 PM

1,765 posts, read 2,203,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Boys and girls we have more than a year before this will probably go to trial, so save your ammunition.
This may or may not be true, however eventually discovery documents will be released and that will stir up mountains of discussions|debates, etc. Just like the Casey Anthony case, remember it was 3 years before she went to trial and that case was discussed|debated ad nauseum before, during and after...

Old 05-09-2012, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
In Florida a docket sounding is used as a chance for both parties involved to determine if a case is going to trial or if a plea will be accepted. Most of the time it is just a formality unless there's some plea bargaining. However, after this date, we'll know if Zimmerman will take a plea, since I believe it is his last chance before a trial begins as above stated.
The State can offer Zimmerman a plea deal at any time during the case.

Old 05-09-2012, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
We are just having fun. This thread will die a natural death when it's not fun or interesting for anybody any more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies