Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-04-2012, 01:28 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,892,870 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
I totally agree. Let me say that while I have expressed opposing opinions w/ several folks in principle...I totally support our individual right to openly share our views. On this July 4th....That meaning is even more evident. I apologize if I have offended anyone in my posts/opinions. Peace to all, and Happy 4th of July.
I accept your apology.

If I have offended anyone that is too damn bad. Get over it.

Old 07-04-2012, 01:37 PM

190 posts, read 302,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FancyFeast5000 View Post

Yep, Miami is such a "dangerous hell hole" that enormously wealthy folks just love to vacation there, spend the winters there, and risk their lives wading into the emerald green waters surrounding the place. Miami is an international city and does have crime; just like any other big city. AGAIN, is that your basis for thinking that Trayvon deserved to die, because he was a black kid from NEAR Miami and that made him a "bad kid"?
Wealthy actually come more to Boca Raton and West Palm Beach than Miami.

Also Miami's crime is much worse than in most big cities. Check the stats.

Keep on going. Its been fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FancyFeast5000 View Post

As for crime statistics, violent crime in the U.S. at this point is DOWN to the level is was in 1965!! Your imagination is running away with you and you apparently like to twist statistics in order to try to back up your biased view of Trayvon Martin.
We still have much more crime than in any industrialized country. We still have ugly ghettos in the middles of our most beautiful cities.

Old 07-04-2012, 01:38 PM

17,798 posts, read 13,698,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speleothem View Post
You have made a correct statement.

We only have George's word and no evidence to the contrary.
Mostly because the person who could provide such evidence is dead.

I'm sure if he were able to speak for himself (Trayvon) he would have his own version of events.

Old 07-04-2012, 01:46 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,892,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post

I'm sure if he were able to speak for himself (Trayvon) he would have his own version of events.

We got JanD to give Trayvon's innocent lamb version of events.

Old 07-04-2012, 02:15 PM

9,138 posts, read 5,804,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post

That doesn't change the fact that there is no evidence to the contrary, does it?
The prosecution does have to prove its case.

Old 07-04-2012, 02:29 PM

3,091 posts, read 3,967,872 times
That's not exactly true. I know many here would like to discount her testimony, but you have the testimony of the girlfriend with whom Trayvon was speaking. She states Trayvon asked Zimmerman why he was following him? Zimmerman, who should have responded that he was the neighborhood watch guy, instead asked what he was doing around there.

At Zimmerman's bond hearing, he made an "apology" wherein he himself said he thought Martin was older than he was--he had no idea he was only 17. Zimmerman himself told the police he had been frustrated by the recent break ins. Zimmerman was so sure Martin was a culprit, he took matters into his own hands. Zimmerman has made many inconsistent statements. His behavior before, during and after the shooting is all going to be put on display.

I think he is going to be found guilty of a lesser included, if the Judge does not grant bail, he may be out with time served after the verdict. Then he can go on with his life filled either with regret or self-justification.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speleothem View Post
You have made a correct statement.

We only have George's word and no evidence to the contrary.

Old 07-04-2012, 02:59 PM

19,844 posts, read 12,106,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
Of course I know there are bad neighborhoods in Miami. I've lived in Florida for over 18 years and I've been to Miami several times. What large city doesn't have bad neighborhoods? Are you saying that every teenager from a tough neighborhood is a criminal and deserves to die? I never said the victim was an angel or that he hadn't gotten into trouble in school, but he had no criminal record and, according to friends, relative and teachers, was a non-violent kid. Do I think he wasn't capable of fighting? No, of course not. He obviously knew how to protect himself, but none of this has ANYTHING to do with this case. What you (and George) think he might have been up to isn't relevant.

By the way, his purpose was visiting his father. Also, it wasn't a "white neighborhood." You apparently know less about Sanford than you do about Miami. According to City-Data, Sanford is 45% White.

Just out of curiosity, I checked the percentage of Blacks in both Miami and Sanford.

Miami = 16.3%
Sanford = 29.2%
TM was from Miami Gardens, not Miami and according to census quick facts:

Miami Gardens = 76.3%
Sanford = 30.5%

Old 07-04-2012, 03:13 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,221,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
The smothering story might be false, but it doesn't trouble me that gz could have yelled for help and been smothered for a brief time during the fight. It wasn't one long yell. How he looked at the police station was after cleaned up. Not an issue for me. We know he was bleeding from the face and back of head at the scene.

I could quibble with a few things you wrote, but in general, I agree they're a problem for gz.

Evidence --- The FDLE tested the bullet holes in tm's shirts and concluded they are consistent with a contact shot. Favorable to gz.
Favorable only if you believe his story. What ever happened to shoot to wound, rather than kill. George could have stopped this at any point, before it got to a physical confrontation then he shoots to kill??

Old 07-04-2012, 03:15 PM

5,767 posts, read 5,015,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trialbyfire View Post
I know people who never wear seat belts and are still alive. Does it prove they are unnecessary? Lol. Crime stats for Miami prove it is a dangerous hell hole.
Florida as the rest of this country is infested with black crime. Gz shot a black perp who was trying to kill him.
I hope there's is more gz's so we have less crime in Florida and more nice white areas like Brickell. Thats why we carry weapons in Florida. Got it?
Since Black Americans are barely 13% of the U.S. population, it would only be logical that more crimes are committed by whites. Just because more Blacks are incarcerated doesn't mean that they necessarily commit so many more crimes, only that whites who are arrested can afford a private attorney. Anyplace is a dangerous hellhole if that's how you choose to see it. Other people might understand the connection between poverty, poor education and crime without having to try and denigrate an entire race.

Old 07-04-2012, 03:23 PM

5,767 posts, read 5,015,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
Favorable only if you believe his story. What ever happened to shoot to wound, rather than kill. George could have stopped this at any point, before it got to a physical confrontation then he shoots to kill??
I suggested once that Zimmerman could have pistol-whipped Martin, and was met with laughter. I suppose if you have a 9mm gun and hollow point bullets, just shooting is the best option in any situation. I hope you've had some response from a mod regarding the threat; it's unfortunate that even an internet forum isn't safe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies