Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2012, 07:20 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,481,895 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
The contents of the letter he sent to obama:

Dear Mr. President:

During my shift in the Emergency Room last night, I had the pleasure of evaluating a patient whose smile revealed an expensive shiny gold tooth, whose body was adorned with a wide assortment of elaborate and costly tattoos, who wore a very expensive brand of tennis shoes and who chatted on a new cellular telephone equipped with a popular R&B ring tone.

While glancing over her patient chart, I happened to notice that her payer status was listed as "Medicaid"

During my examination of her, the patient informed me that she smokes more than one costly pack of cigarettes every day and somehow still has money to buy pretzels and beer.

And, you and our Congress expect me to pay for this woman's health care? I contend that our nation's "health care crisis" is not the result of a shortage of quality hospitals, doctors or nurses.

Rather, it is the result of a "crisis of culture", a culture in which it is perfectly acceptable to spend money on luxuries and vices while refusing to take care of one's self or, heaven forbid, purchase health insurance. It is a culture based on the irresponsible credo that "I can do whatever I want to because someone else will always take care of me."
So did she have an emergency?

[or was this just a tune-up?]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2012, 08:00 PM

30,072 posts, read 18,678,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
I'm 7 words in, and I call a fake. I know many doctors, and all of them get upset when laypeople refer to the emergency department (ED) as the emergency room (ER).

I am a physician. I have never, nor have any of my associates, ever called the ER the "ED". I have actually never heard a fellow physician call the ER the "ED". Likewise, the SICU, the MICU, and the OR have always been called by those names.

I second the medicaid experience. They are by far the worst patients we see and we only see medicaid that our neurosurgeons have picked up on call, otherwise we do not see them. They are refractory to nearly every medicine or treatment and cannot be helped.

Old 04-18-2012, 08:02 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,449,435 times
cant blame it on poor folk. the entire country wants high quality service and somebody else to pay for it.

Old 04-18-2012, 08:06 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,864,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
cant blame it on poor folk. the entire country wants high quality service and somebody else to pay for it.
I always like the line... "I don't care how much it costs, it's free for me."...

Old 04-18-2012, 08:29 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,537,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
They are refractory to nearly every medicine or treatment and cannot be helped.
Darn them poor people. How dare they insist upon living their own lives their way! Maybe if they would submit to the Nanny-state do-gooders, they'd be more welcome in the ER, huh?

Old 04-18-2012, 08:38 PM

4,242 posts, read 8,777,959 times
But "I just want to help people." - every medical school application essay ever written.

Old 04-18-2012, 08:42 PM

1,787 posts, read 3,851,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
Darn them poor people. How dare they insist upon living their own lives their way! Maybe if they would submit to the Nanny-state do-gooders, they'd be more welcome in the ER, huh?
If they want to "live their own way" they should earn their own money. If they don't want to follow medical advice they should quit clogging ER's.

Old 04-18-2012, 08:47 PM

37,138 posts, read 42,234,436 times
I'm surprised you didn't see her climbing into her new Escalade with gold package and custom wheels. Isn't that usually how these stories go?

Old 04-18-2012, 09:36 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,481,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
I'm surprised you didn't see her climbing into her new Escalade with gold package and custom wheels. Isn't that usually how these stories go?
Don't forget the boomin' stereo system...

[BOOM!]

Old 04-18-2012, 09:45 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,422,794 times
A quick chat with my neighbor who is a retired trauma surgeon confirms that it was always the ER to him.

He didn't deal with stubbed toes and such so he couldn't comment on the other stuff. He dealt with major trauma and never asked about their payment status or socio-economic status and claims he didn't care.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies