Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2012, 12:46 PM

867 posts, read 499,114 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
This thread is about... say, Sales Tax? Payroll Tax? Please be aware of what you're discussing.

Thank you.
One more time, it is about U.S. (United States) Federal Personal Income Tax, and no others.

Now, finally, YOU are aware (assuming you read the above) of what this thread is about. OMG
It will be an Oak Tree before it gets "found".

Old 05-01-2012, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dust Bowl View Post
They don't pay income tax.

They pay capital gains tax. It's legal because they are paid through a financial instrument. Risk is not necessarily inherent.
OMG, didn't you read what I wrote before you BS'd it. I specifically discussed Cap Gains Tax and Tax Exempt Interest on Muni, etc., Bonds.

No acorn today.

Old 05-01-2012, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
No transposition needed when such gift as your argument refuses to stop giving...
This is what you wrote;

What do you call people who live to work in not self-interest

Old 05-01-2012, 12:59 PM

6,721 posts, read 5,208,436 times
Taxation has always been the method governments fund their necessary functions. Not sure way you call taxation theft. I call it theft when someone living in this country, using its infrastructure and not paying their fair share.

You have a better method of providing for our common defense and general welfare? Or are you hoping for a Lord of the Flies existence? We could start killing off the weal and infirm for you Amy time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatles4evr View Post
It is funny that you call taking money from others via the mechanism of legal theft though government agency, "self-interest".

And the problem is not so much that the tax filers are availing themselves of the beneficial tax treatment, that is their right.

The problem is that ruling-class, power-monger maggots are delberately setting up a greed-based (not self-interest, but slothful greed) system solely for the purpose of enhancing their own power at the expense of the people, the fruits of their labor, and their freedom.

Can't you see that?

I agree that no transposition is needed. Nonetheless, you did - your bad. Go back and read it.

Last edited by buzzards27; 05-01-2012 at 02:29 PM..

Old 05-01-2012, 01:14 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,561,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Let's talk "FAIR SHARE" for a moment. How is it "FAIR" that millions of a American's pay ZERO in light of the current class warfare schtick being pushed by the Left? Where's the "fairness?"
I suppose by "schtick" you mean the unfair advantage those of privilege have over those disadvantaged?

Actually, wasn't it the well to do that were crying: "Class war"?

Regardless, when one isn't earning enough to cover the baseline that defines poverty. I am certain even to you it would make little sense to tax someone when the taxes would put them below the poverty level, and make them eligible to receive welfare. Or would you prefer that we add to the welfare lists?

Old 05-01-2012, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzards27 View Post
Taxation has always been the method governments fund their necessary functions. Not sure way you call taxation theft. Is call theft someone living in this country, using its infrastructure and not paying their for share.

You have a better method of providing for our common defense and general welfare? Or are you hoping for a Lord of the Flies existence? We could start killing off the weal and infirm for you Amy time.
There you go with another bale of straw.

I am talking about redistribution, i.e. taking from one group of citizens (taxpayers) and giving it to others in the form of welfare, food stamps, etc. That is what I am calling theft. You can use the term "entitlements", if you wish. They are NOT legitimate, if the Constitution is any indication or guide.

Last edited by CaseyB; 05-01-2012 at 02:35 PM.. Reason: off topic

Old 05-01-2012, 02:28 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,495,372 times
Quote:
One more time, we are talking about Income Tax, specifically US Federal Income tax.

FWIW I support overall flatness on discretionary income, with a nominal minimum tax ($100-$500 per person annually) to ensure everyone pays something.

Since state and local taxes are often regressive, I support progressivity in federal taxes to the exact extent state and local regressivity is offset.

Old 05-01-2012, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
FWIW I support overall flatness on discretionary income, with a nominal minimum tax ($100-$500 per person annually) to ensure everyone pays something.

Since state and local taxes are often regressive, I support progressivity in federal taxes to the exact extent state and local regressivity is offset.
The catch-word here, of course, is discretionary.

So you are proposing that all regular and normal costs of living be paid with tax-exempt dollars? Conveniently, that would still leave a very sizable pool of non-taxpaying voters to vote themselves largesse from their neighbors who actually apply themselves to better their lot in life, and, by association, their country, who have income in the discretionary, i.e. "taxable" brackets.

Me thinks NO. All parasites, real and potential, MUST have skin in the game to keep their greed/lust under control.

Old 05-01-2012, 02:59 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,495,372 times
Quote:
They are working smarter than you, not necessarily harder. If you were truly more knowledgeable, you would advance.

If you can't afford a website, you have absolutely no business whatsoever, squandering your time here, IMHO. It costs virtually nothing to reserve a domain on go-daddy, and using an inexpensive shopping cart is a matter of a buck or two a day.

Borrow the slogan and Just Do It.

I don't think they are working smarter than I am; I think they are just able to throw money at the problem (e.g. they have websites and some of them have employees to do most of the actual work) and are also able to leverage their years of experience (e.g. sometimes they get referrals from past clients).

It's a lot easier when you can buy large collections and piece them out over a few years. It's hard when you don't have access to the big collections and have to find small deals scattered here and there, or worse, try to make a profit by flipping stuff you found on eBay. (The selling fees approach 25% plus when you buy you're paying for shipping - the fact that I am able to profitably flip on eBay suggests I must know more than the other bidders. This market is very inefficient because sellers often don't know quite what they have (which leads to the other bidders not having enough information to bid optimally) or the basis of its value. By writing a better and more informative listing I can increase its selling price.)

And I have several domain names registered, I just don't have the web skills required to put it all together and don't have the money to pay someone to do a website for me.

Also I have a partner who wants to create a related website with me - each of us has knowledge which combined would be far superior to anything online currently. He wants to spend more on it than I do, but he's low on cash as well.

Old 05-01-2012, 03:12 PM

3,852 posts, read 4,524,780 times
Quote:
Only by making them pay taxes, and thus feel the impact of excessive levels of taxation that they might otherwise gleefully vote for, can federal spending/taxation be kept in some sort of check.
A few couple problems I see with this:

1) People of all ilk vote for politicans that promise them both benefits and tax cuts. Everyone wants something for nothing, even the rich. Case in point, California, where ballot initiatives have called for more and more spending without funding, since a previous initiative requires a 2/3 majority to raise taxes.

2) The rich can buy votes more effectively than the poor can elect true, uncorruptable candidates. This is a problem made worse by Citizens United, which allows SuperPACs of wealthy donors to heavily influence smaller races. Lets say we wanted to eliminated the carried interest exemption that allows hedge fund managers to treat their income as capital gains and pay a 15% tax rate. Do you realize how few people even understand that issue? Few politicans are going to tackle it if doing so means their opponent in the next election will suddenly have a million dollars of SuperPAC money running negative ads.

3) You're not going to magically make someone more responsible by taking away money they need to live. You're just going to make them poorer, and angrier.

4) Government spending is not out of control, except on the military. That's a conservative lie. As a share of GDP, it's the same as it's always been.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies