Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2012, 06:28 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,907,727 times

Advertisements

What absurdity! A big guy with an ax does not need a gun to kill a lot of people in a crowd. Just ask the survivors of any Viking raid. The only thing that is going to stop a crazy from shooting up a crowd of people is someone in the crowd shooting back and stopping the slaughter. We need more, not fewer, armed and trained civillians carrying firearms.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2012, 06:31 AM

2,149 posts, read 1,522,492 times

Innocents Betrayed - The History of Gun Control - FULL LENGTH - YouTube

Old 04-20-2012, 07:07 AM

3,244 posts, read 7,462,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Roma View Post
Where did you take the class?

Well, since you are in MA (been there, done that, and have my LTC there but let it expire, since I moved).... I think you will find the state fickle on getting an LTC, mostly based upon the town you are in.
Ran me $800 and about 6 months. (course, physician approval, member of a local gun club, etc) I ran the CORI myself, and they were annoyed with that (said it would take them 3 weeks, and I did it in about 24 hours).
This was a while ago, and depends on town. It wasn't really even an LTC (well, only permission to carry it to and from a range, or hunting, and hunting in MA with a handgun is illegal). Then you get into the mess of 'large capacity' and such.
As an example of discrepancies between towns, for a period of time the chief of police in Andover refused to sign any carry permits. He had to back down on that one, ultimately.
I got my carry permit in North Andover, and the service officer threatened to break my fingers if I didn't lay them absolutely flat for fingerprinting.

So, in summary, my condolences for trying to get a MA LTC permit. You have your work cut out for you (unless you are a business person carrying bankroll money, or a few other reasons).

Not exactly sure why the 'personal protection' course had us role-play shooting intruders, especially in a state that hates guns, but I learned how to do it anyway.

Personally, I wouldn't (actually can't with the stuff I now own) ,move back there. JMHO.

Last edited by SuperSparkle928; 04-20-2012 at 07:18 AM..

Old 04-20-2012, 10:52 AM

6,104 posts, read 6,005,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Roma View Post
So what do you propose we do?

I am a realist and propose we do absolutely nothing the deaths of a dew 10,000s of Americans out of several hundred millions of us is an ACCEPTABLE LOSS. In the big picture of things virtually all of our dead will have no impact on the flow of events and after a few years who will even miss them?

Let's see here.....how to describe the above quoted post:

Pathetic
Laughable
Asinine

That'll do for starters.

These words are an even better description of you the poster of the reply to my reply. Merryment is a good thing and know I am laughing it you and all of your kind.

This was an accident. What do you suppose someone could do intentionally? Should we ban cars because they're too dangerous?

89-Year-Old Found Guilty Of Manslaughter - CBS News

No this is the silly kind of arguement that NRA types like to use . We put far more regulations licensing and insurance on motorists and car or truck owners and in many areas you have to demonstarte your car or truck is in safe operating consition and your car or truck does not put out excessive exhaust emissions! Even better you have to pay and pay for all these manditory tests, examinations, insurances licenses and registrations. In some states your poor old 89 year old might even lose his license because he didn't have the mental, visual or physical accuity to safely operate a motor vehicle.
Now gun owners face almost none of these legal regulations and in most cases don't have to demostrate mebtal, visual or physical minumums to safely operate a firearms. When a Sung Hui, Jared, Lee Boyd or anyone of thousands of other gun criminals exact their pound of flesh on our nations it really is too late.

Old 04-20-2012, 10:56 AM

46,381 posts, read 27,236,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
How about the 10,000 deaths that occur for ever single instance of a gun actually protecting someone?

For the simple minded 10,000 > 1
http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/ucr...es/10tbl20.xls

Just saying.............

Old 04-20-2012, 11:06 AM

6,104 posts, read 6,005,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
What absurdity! A big guy with an ax does not need a gun to kill a lot of people in a crowd. Just ask the survivors of any Viking raid. The only thing that is going to stop a crazy from shooting up a crowd of people is someone in the crowd shooting back and stopping the slaughter. We need more, not fewer, armed and trained civillians carrying firearms.

What is really absurd is thinking if a Viking had gotten is hand on a gun or even a blunderbus he would have wasted his time using a battle ax or a mace or even a broad sword. Our European ancestors cashed in their swords, long bows and spears the moment firearms and gun powder became known to them!

Your second stupidity is thinking a noble gun welding citizen in a crowd will minmize the loss of lfe in a crowded enivironment. He is more likely to shooot and inocent bystander and amplify the choas, carnage and disorder.

Old 04-20-2012, 11:08 AM

13,186 posts, read 15,008,314 times
I love how these macho gun nuts get all their panties twisted when someone points out that most criminals caught in "break ins" don't murder the occupants.

As the title of this thread, implies.

It's so important to scare the lemmings silly, so you can sell them something, or get away with something.

Pointing out a simple truth is just a big drag on their rhetoric.

Old 04-20-2012, 11:08 AM

46,381 posts, read 27,236,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwruckman View Post
He is more likely to shooot and inocent bystander and amplify the choas, carnage and disorder.
And I suppose you can back that statement up with some facts?

Old 04-20-2012, 11:12 AM

13,186 posts, read 15,008,314 times
Historical household gun ownership rates. Fell for the last 40 years.

http://thesocietypages.org/socimages.../gungraph2.jpg

Homicide rates at 50 year lows

http://bjs.ojp.usdoj.gov/content/glance/hmrt.gif

But there is always a market for white elderly to middle aged to be scammed into thinking the USA is soooooo much more violent....LOL

Fools and their money are soon departed.

Old 04-20-2012, 11:12 AM

20,736 posts, read 19,423,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
How about the 10,000 deaths that occur for ever single instance of a gun actually protecting someone?

For the simple minded 10,000 > 1
Takes a year to kill that many.

Gun crime statistics by US state: download the data. Visualised | World news | guardian.co.uk
However, the figures themselves are astounding for Brits used to around 600 murders per year. In 2010 - the latest year for which detailed statistics are available - there were 12,996 murders in the US. Of those, 8,775 were caused by firearms.
For the simple minded that means its the one defensive use of a firearm we will see this year. 4221 time people find another way which I am sure would go significantly up.

What Do Criminals Fear? : Ready to Defend, - Real Security

Fifty-six percent of the felons surveyed agreed that "A criminal is not going to mess around with a victim he knows is armed with a gun;" 74% agreed that "One reason burglars avoid houses when people are at home is that they fear being shot.

Simple minded indeed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies