Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2012, 04:06 AM

22,632 posts, read 14,943,387 times

Advertisements

I am a baby-boomer.

Let's not make sweeping generalizations about this generation or that generation. There are good people and bad people who belong to each generation since the beginning of time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2012, 06:01 AM

10,659 posts, read 10,727,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
Are you a Baby Boomer? I am not since I was born just before WWII started, not after it ended. So I must be an in between. The generation prior to me, my parents, built the greatest production machine this planet has ever seen. It was our ability to produce implements of war which defeated the Nazis and Japan. Considering they both had a head start gearing up for war, we did one Hell of a job catching up and bringing them down.

After WWII ended, my parents generation kept right on working. They also begat the Baby Boomers, being a little anxious for some R&R. In the process they created the strongest economy this planet has ever seen.

Now we are being told they were fools. If being a fool is equated to desiring a nice, safe, comfortable house in a neighborhood with good schools and the opportunity for your kids to go to college I guess they were fools. If desiring a better life for your kids than you had, I guess they were fools. I know without a shadow of a doubt my parents wanted a better life for my brother and I, which we have had, and also for their grandkids. I guess both they and us have been fools.

Sorry, but my older kids and the current generation are the fools. They are the ones who have been so complacent as to not seize control and prevent our manufacturing jobs from moving out of this country. They are the ones who have seen thousands of their contemporaries get slaughtered in Iraq and Afghanistan but still seem to feel support our troops is the answer. Don't blame the WWII generation and the Baby Boomers for the ills which permeate this country. Blame the generations which are following and apparently don't have either the sense or the backbone to realize what is happening and stop it. You know when you beccome an adult it is time to step up and take your place in society.
Dad is that you

Old 04-23-2012, 06:32 AM

14,076 posts, read 20,530,289 times
Laying the blame for what's wrong with this country on its youngest voters is akin to blaming the rape victim.

You just wait. If you live long enough to see todays young people take over government, business and education, you'll see a remarkable change. The upcoming generations are the antithesis of we Boomers. They believe in compromise, not confrontation; agreement instead of extremism. They're more positive than we are, more color-blind, better educated.

I have great faith in our young people. They are able and willing to correct what we Boomer's have been screwing up for the past 30 years. If the WWII generation was The Greatest, their offspring (we Boomers) are the Sorriest, Most Selfish Generation, but our kids and grandkids are the perfect anti-dote.

Old 04-23-2012, 06:43 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times
Just look at current politics and you will see that the grey bearded Boomers are still in charge. That is why we have an economy based on exporting WAR and importing consumer goods. That is also why we are still burning coal instead of nuclear power for electricity. That is why we still drive around in gas guzzlers while paying monopoly prices for fuel. That is why we still fly from Boston to Chicago instead of getting on a high speed train for a four hour trip. The Baby boomers have not invested in these things because they have made so much money from War and fossil fueled diversions.

This will continue until the people born in the late 60’s take over. Then we will have a chance at restoring America’s prosperity for all instead of a very selfish few.

Old 04-23-2012, 06:57 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,935,751 times
My parents are baby boomers and worked multiple jobs their whole lives to ensure that myself and my siblings went to good schools and were provided for. We didn't always have new clothes or go on vacations but I am forever grateful that my parents instilled that work ethic in me and seemingly did the opposite of all the other credit-crazy, keeping-up-with-the Jones type Boomers.

So, not all boomers are power and money hungry narcissists-Just most of their leaders.
Haha jk people...but seriously.

Old 04-23-2012, 05:22 PM

5,758 posts, read 11,636,388 times
The average age of the members of the US House of Representatives is 57, and the average age of the Senate is 63. It can cost millions of dollars to mount a run for Congress - unless they were born into wealth to begin with (in which case, "manufacturing" is unlikely to be a big concern for them), how are young people supposed to raise that kind of cash?

Old 04-24-2012, 11:23 PM

1,359 posts, read 1,171,522 times
Happy retirement gramps and grandma!!! Please go away and don't ever come back, the younger generations here need to clean up your mess and get rid of that old people smell.

Moderator cut: image removed

Last edited by picmod; 01-10-2014 at 01:05 PM..

Old 04-25-2012, 04:27 AM

14,076 posts, read 20,530,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemdiver View Post
Happy retirement gramps and grandma!!! Please go away and don't ever come back, the younger generations here need to clean up your mess and get rid of that old people smell.
Go ahead and laugh at us while you can. One day, you'll look in the mirror and see US staring back at you.

Old 04-25-2012, 05:33 AM

3,457 posts, read 3,623,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
My parents are baby boomers and worked multiple jobs their whole lives to ensure that myself and my siblings went to good schools and were provided for. We didn't always have new clothes or go on vacations but I am forever grateful that my parents instilled that work ethic in me and seemingly did the opposite of all the other credit-crazy, keeping-up-with-the Jones type Boomers.
I agree.

The problem is, the credit-crazy, keeping-up-with-the Jones type Boomers became more successful than the fiscally conservatives, on account of their willingness to take on excessive levels of debt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies