Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-24-2012, 08:31 AM

5,524 posts, read 9,939,933 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
If you have to work until you're 70, as the retirement age goes up, I see no particular advantage in starting two years earlier. I got my BSN as my first (and only) nursing degree and I have mostly worked in patient care. The one management position I had still had a component of pt. care and was in an agency where it was a requirement of all RNs to have a BSN. That said, most hospitals want a BSN for their head nurses. I don't know if you can even get these specialty certs w/o having a BSN.

I will point out that even in an ADN program, students must take English, social studies and similar courses.
It depends on the group providing the certification I believe. Never been through it myself (not a Nurse) but we have placed people with the Certification and an ASN and the advantage to getting the ASN then working is having your employer pay for your education. Doesn't always happen but the health systems I support are starting to increase their tuition reimbursement to retain employees, get new ones and invest in their peeps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2012, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
But not if the "education" is useless.

A large number of college graduates today are functionally illiterate. They cannot write procedures, they are ignorant in science, they cannot perform anything but the most basic math.

College is now what high school once was.
Blame that on their pre college education.

Old 04-24-2012, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ehiesl View Post
Disregarding the question of majors for a second, don't y'all think it's a greater problem that students head straight to college not knowing what the heck they want to do with their lives? Maybe it's not so bad for a potential English-major to start school knowing he will become a publisher. Or a public speaker or radio broadcaster, journalist, lawyer, copywriter, etc. Not to say those jobs are prevalent out there, but at least they'd have something to fight through school for. A reason to do well in school and make the best of it, knowing they could not possibly ever be mathematicians or engineers so why bother trying. Yes the economy is bad, but there are still publishers, lawyers, journalists out there and those jobs do require language/communication skills. And I can think of some non-profit agencies that would warm up to the gender major quite nicely...

It's not all doom and gloom for English majors. If it is, well, it's doom and gloom for engineers too. What will people engineer or build without funding?
People should work for 2 years after school to get some kind of real world experience and help figure out what they want to do. They will also earn money towards school meaning they will need less financial support.

Old 04-24-2012, 08:36 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tluv00 View Post
Gotcha. I should have said half is spent on electives and half is spent on major. That's really what I meant to say. I mixed up courses as well (as much as I could) but there where also elective and prerequisite requirements that made no sense for a Business Admin and Economics degree.

Basically all I am saying is that a 4 year degree is 2 years of garbage and 2 years of training. Real world experience coupled with the major courses would be a better option for people IMO.
I completely disagree with the last two sentences. While an individual course may end up being "garbage" (I certainly had one or two in that category), two years of garbage is not the case at all. (Trying to be more diplomatic today.) Do you really think a person with say, a physics degree, should not be able to write a coherent sentence? Do you think s/he should not have any knowledge about the world around him/her other than physics? In addition, "training" is hardly the word for advanced studies in any subject area.

Old 04-24-2012, 08:39 AM

723 posts, read 2,193,842 times
Quote:
People should work for 2 years after school to get some kind of real world experience and help figure out what they want to do. They will also earn money towards school meaning they will need less financial support.
What if I learned what I wanted to do in college?

Old 04-24-2012, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Two years at $10/hr. the highest pay one could reasonably expect to earn as a HS grad, will gross you $40K, net ~$30K. How much of that gets saved depends upon one's living situation. And there is no way you'll figure out what you want to do with such a job; you might figure out what you don't want to do, e.g. be a barista or a day care worker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by emerald_octane View Post
Exactly! There were health care jobs I had never heard of until I went to college.

Old 04-24-2012, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I completely disagree with the last two sentences. While an individual course may end up being "garbage" (I certainly had one or two in that category), two years of garbage is not the case at all. (Trying to be more diplomatic today.) Do you really think a person with say, a physics degree, should not be able to write a coherent sentence? Do you think s/he should not have any knowledge about the world around him/her other than physics? In addition, "training" is hardly the word for advanced studies in any subject area.
If someone cannot write a coherent sentence by the time they are in college there is a problem with their pre-college education wouldn't you say? College shouldn't be meant for basic English nor for teaching history of the Ottomans to business majors. I learned history and science in HS. I don't need to know the genus and species of a north African plant in order to be a business major. That's what I mean. It's useless knowledge that does little to nothing except prepare people for Jeopardy and give the schools 2 more years of revenue and students two more years of partying.

Old 04-24-2012, 08:57 AM

Quote:
If someone cannot write a coherent sentence by the time they are in college there is a problem with their pre-college education wouldn't you say? College shouldn't be meant for basic English nor for teaching history of the Ottomans to business majors. I learned history and science in HS. I don't need to know the genus and species of a north African plant in order to be a business major. That's what I mean. It's useless knowledge that does little to nothing except prepare people for Jeopardy and give the schools 2 more years of revenue and students two more years of partying.
Very telling statement. It's no wonder people believe Playboy Bunnies regarding immunizations, for example. They learned all the science they needed to know in high school. My HS science classes didn't even cover evolution, not even as a "theory". My HS history classes never covered the Holocaust. I learned about that later. I don't think we even learned about "Jim Crow" laws in HS.

Old 04-24-2012, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emerald_octane View Post
It shouldn't take 2 years to figure that out and if so then fine. My point is that I don't think a 4 year degree (which is basically a two year degree plus electives IMO) should be viewed as better than a 2 year degree just because someone went to school for two extra years.

Old 04-24-2012, 09:09 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,826,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skoro View Post
Theater and Feminist Studies certainly aren't areas that lead to job offers.

But I'd caution anyone who denigrates English majors. They possess a skill that's in short supply, even among college educated adults in the workforce.

They can read for comprehension very well and write clearly for specific meaning. These are not skills that should be dismissed lightly. Even though they may not be in high demand at present, English majors almost always find their niche in the economy.

My own background is in the natural sciences. And it sometimes surprises me how others in my field will write like gradeschool children. I've genrally found English majors to very sharp individuals.

Why all the anger? That guy's choice of studies doesn't impact you or your family.
I actually agree with this. FWIW, I have a degree in English and I work as a director of procurement for a property management company. My job involves writing contracts and instructing people how to do fulfill certain obligations in regards to contracts. I also deal a lot of numbers. Since my company is frugal, the majority of us take on more responsibilities so I also perform human resources responsibilities and am the office manager of our region.

I would not have my job if it weren't for my English degree as I honed my writing skills in college and it has been my experience that writing is a field where many people do not excel. I have also even been an independent contractor and ran my own business out of my home by compiling HR manuals, policies/procedures for different companies.

Also the OP fails to mention that English is a top degree of choice for Pre-Law and even quite a few Pre-Med students. I considered being a doctor and so took pre-med as a minor so I would get all the science requirements in during college. Many med schools like to see that a potential student has varied interests and majoring in something not science related can be a plus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies