Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2012, 03:20 PM

9,437 posts, read 7,367,374 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post

This bears repeating: "Triple Major in English, Theater, and Gender, Sexuality, and Feminist Studies!"
And corporate headhunters aren't knocking down his door with $100k job offers? SHOCKING!

Quote:
"I just don't want to be floating around after college," said Meyers, 22, who's job hunting while finishing requirements for his triple major in English, theater, and gender, sexuality and feminist studies at Oberlin.
And exactly what did he think he would be qualified to do with that combination of degrees? "Do you want fries with that" comes to mind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2012, 03:22 PM

26,491 posts, read 15,066,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray1945 View Post
I left the classroom for administration in the late 90s, but even back then, I was telling my high school students the same thing.
Awesome, we need more of an emphasis on these areas.

I kind of liked Eisenhower's NDEA: give more money out to colleges to promote technology and world relations. The ultimate goal is to keep us a world power. So that they encourage math and science so we remain the most technologically innovative, while we encourage foreign language and culture so that we can be on better terms with the world.

8,299 posts, read 8,605,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Doing what, exactly?
Technical writer tends to be the dominant position, though there is a lot of variety in the positions that others who don't go the technical writing route end up taking. And they aren't jobs without benefits or something like that.

6,137 posts, read 4,860,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interlude View Post
Teenagers don't make the best decisions, what a surprise. Those degrees wouldn't be as useless if we had a solid economy, but thanks to decades of conservative policies.... well, rant for another thread.
Yes, the economy should support uselessness, otherwise it's a bad economy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by helenejen View Post
Interesting how those who rail against the nanny state think that they or anyone else has a right to determine what degrees someone can or cannot pursue in college. It's none of your business.
And you, like many others, just don't get it, at all. 10 bucks says you say someone else say that in a similar discussion and now you're just repeating it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
So an IT department is basically a department full of people who aren't educated in IT... I see... its all about if you can do the work... doesn't require any special training at all or knowledge of... understand software coding? Not required... understand hardware maintenance? Not required... understand network management? Not required... do you have two hands, two eyes, a brain, and the will to work? You are hired!
Being able to "do the work" would imply IT skills.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleanora1 View Post
Really conservatives. What are you afraid of? That Americans might gain the means to think for themselves? That the audience for Fox News might shrink?
Oh no, we've been exposed.

You people are hilarious.

Old 04-22-2012, 03:27 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,357,132 times
Didn't you take any math or science classes? What job were you planning on with those majors? Clue - college is to prepare for a job. No one "owes" you a job because you have a degree. Sounds like you want to produce and write theatre for lesbians...pretty small market...

Old 04-22-2012, 03:30 PM

6,137 posts, read 4,860,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Didn't you take any math or science classes? What job were you planning on with those majors? Clue - college is to prepare for a job. No one "owes" you a job because you have a degree. Sounds like you want to produce and write theatre for lesbians...pretty small market...
Well it's society's duty to pay him to produce lesbian theatre. Otherwise, we "hate" education and want to limit peoples' education rights.

9,437 posts, read 7,367,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
I've worked in I.T. for 14 years with a "soft" degree in a liberal arts discipline. It can be done.
Getting an IT job in 1998 without an IT degree was easy. At that time anyone with no knowledge and a slight interest in computers could get a computer related job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
Are you telling me that some IT department hired you with absolutely zero knowledge of IT and a liberal arts degree? Yeah... didn't think so.. if you get a worthless degree, you better have some other talent that isn't related to that degree..
I'm sure they did hire him, we hired people like that - remember that would have been 1998, before the dot com bust, unemployment was at 4.5% and companies were scrambling to hire anyone. It wasn't hard for people to get their foot in the door with no experience and no degree at that time. By now he's got 14 years of experience which is worth far more than a 14 year old IT degree. Today we would hire someone with that experience and no degree before someone with a degree and no experience.

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Quote:
This may come as a shock to you and the rest of you who are always harping about STEM, but I know some math majors, one with a further degree, a master's in electrical engineering, who had difficulty finding jobs.

This article is just a fluff piece, and the OP is just t*r*o*l*l*i*n*g!

Old 04-22-2012, 03:31 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,119,311 times
Quote:
LOL...."write theater for lesbians....pretty small market."

That's hilarious and sadly very true!

Old 04-22-2012, 03:31 PM

8,299 posts, read 8,605,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamBarrow View Post
And you, like many others, just don't get it, at all. 10 bucks says you say someone else say that in a similar discussion and now you're just repeating it.
What else does your crystal ball tell you?

The fact is is that I have some of the most seemingly useless degrees that one could get. And guess what? I make a good living, love what I do, and am paying back my student loans.

The problem isn't with students. They have a right to get the degrees that they want. If you have a problem with that, your problem is with the government loan system, not the students. With some critical thinking skills, you would realize that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies