Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2012, 10:09 AM

16,708 posts, read 15,709,123 times

Advertisements

What a BS thread. This has nothing to do with Separation of Church and State or anything else on the 1st Amendment. It's about the rules the IRS has had in place for many decades dealing with the behavior of organizations registered to be non-profit charitable entities in the view of the IRS.

Go criticize Obama somewhere else. He's got nothing to do with this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2012, 10:30 AM

44,882 posts, read 33,307,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alabamatom View Post
Not going to comment on the issue, but an important aside:

Whenever you're considering make a Nazi analogy, ask yourself, "am I about to expose my hysteria/lack of historical context for all the educated people to see?"
Well, Tom, who are the educated people?

Old 04-24-2012, 10:34 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,847,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
On this issue, people who have at least a basic understanding of relationship between Gestapo and church.

Old 04-24-2012, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
On this issue, people who have at least a basic understanding of relationship between Gestapo and church.
That would be the whole secularist group, I guess. However some of us from the non-secularist side of things happen to know a bit about that kind of thing, too.

Old 04-24-2012, 10:37 AM

68,347 posts, read 54,470,554 times
Quote:
Those who see the allegation of the use of "Gestapo tactics" for the hyperbolic BS it is?

While we're on the subject, the article's accusation of Obama being "pro-abortion" just highlights what hyperbolic tripe it is, it's a shame when people are too damn stupid to understand a simple word like C-H-O-I-C-E.

Old 04-24-2012, 10:41 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,847,398 times
Quote:
That would be the whole secularist group, I guess. However some of us from the non-secularist side of things happen to know a bit about that kind of thing, too.
I don't expect anybody but a secularist group to appreciate separation of church and state, something religious fundamentalists are bound to hate. It is why Gestapo (and Mussolini's fascist party) was into using church as a platform. Nothing reaches drives people nuts than emotional causes, and religion is a great tool when it comes to emotions over logic.

"I pledge that I never will tie myself to parties who want to destroy Christianity. We want to fill our culture again with the Christian spirit. We want to burn out all the recent immoral developments in literature, in the theater, and in the press - in short, we want to burn out the poison of immorality which has entered into our whole life and culture as a result of liberal excess during the past few years."
- Adolf Hitler

Who, BTW, hated secular guidelines.

Old 04-24-2012, 10:44 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,579,057 times
Quote:
Weak would indicate that none of it is true. Hmmmmm, when will you start listing all that untrue part of it.

No, weak indicates the article's analogy between Americans United and the Gestapo is weak. I shouldn't have to keep pointing these things out to you. But you keep insisting that I do.

Old 04-24-2012, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
I don't expect anybody but a secularist group to appreciate separation of church and state, something religious fundamentalists are bound to hate. It is why Gestapo (and Mussolini's fascist party) was into using church as a platform. Nothing reaches drives people nuts than emotional causes, and religion is a great tool when it comes to emotions over logic.
Americans United is doing the work of the Gestapo in the name of the Constitution. This is the worst kind of political collaboration.

These are the last words of the article that you failed read, at least all of.

I think that you could look at the footnotes provided in the article to books that were written about the subject of the Gestapo. You might even be interested to read the comparison of the Gestapo that includes much of the history of how they worked with certain ministers including one named Niemoeller. How many did they imprison for speaking out against the policies of Hitler? Several hundred in a small country like Germany.

Hey, the man used well known treatises on the time as sources. Actually all of them were written before 1965 which would put them a bit before the real rewrites of history by progressives but nevertheless never proven wrong by said progressives. Go ahead and read that part of the article.

Old 04-24-2012, 10:50 AM

47,000 posts, read 26,056,438 times
Let's just recap: A religious organization flagrantly breaks the rules that come with their tax-exempt status, gets called on it, and - what else? - claims to be victim of persecution.

Why does it baffle some churches so much that they're subject to the same rules as everybody else?

Old 04-24-2012, 10:51 AM

1,862 posts, read 2,388,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
I've been a contributor for decades.
I've been a contributor for several years
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies