Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2011, 12:07 PM

1,140 posts, read 2,140,016 times

Advertisements

Being early 30s, and mixing with people from mid 20s to late 30s.

The one thing I have come to the conclusion is we don't have any political philosophy in the West(US and UK)- Although maybe these thing only become clear in the long term

In the 80s there was Regan and Thatcher and free market economics

In the 90s there was feeling that the right wing was wrong, but the left was not correct and that a balance between the two was required - the third way - but at least there was a clear direction and difference between the right.

Since then Bush, Brown, Cameron and Obama - have all been muddled, middle of the way centrists attempting to mimic Clinton and Blair style policies with no clear ideas or real political philosphy.

Even in people person lives - narrow self interest has taken over from any sense of community, ideas, opinions of their own - just narrow self interest with no sense of their lives being connected to others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2011, 12:14 PM

898 posts, read 828,273 times
From what I can see, not much.

Old 07-16-2011, 12:53 PM

1,800 posts, read 3,914,928 times
People in our age bracket have made a complete departure from all other generations. We have friends of all different races, ethnicities, and faiths more often than not. We date or marry people of a different race, ethnicity, or religion more often than not. We are more accepting of people not like ourselves more often than not (different race, religion, ethnicity).

Sexual orientation. Here is where there is the biggest dividing point. People over 40 tend to dislike the idea of equality for homosexuals, people under age 40 tend to overwhelmingly support it.

Another issue is marijuana. People under 40 generally in favor, people over 40 generally opposed. It isn't like the 60s either because most of the 20 something in the 60s and 70s grew out of the pot phase. Not with our generation.

Old 07-16-2011, 01:03 PM

455 posts, read 633,417 times
Humanity ! , the Bible is slowly losing it's influence since people realize its just a bunch of old stories/myths.The catholic church is not what it used to be , "Thank God".

Old 07-16-2011, 01:12 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,823,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowincal11 View Post
People in our age bracket have made a complete departure from all other generations. We have friends of all different races, ethnicities, and faiths more often than not. We date or marry people of a different race, ethnicity, or religion more often than not. We are more accepting of people not like ourselves more often than not (different race, religion, ethnicity).

Sexual orientation. Here is where there is the biggest dividing point. People over 40 tend to dislike the idea of equality for homosexuals, people under age 40 tend to overwhelmingly support it.

Another issue is marijuana. People under 40 generally in favor, people over 40 generally opposed. It isn't like the 60s either because most of the 20 something in the 60s and 70s grew out of the pot phase. Not with our generation.
Oh, barf! Get over yourselves!

Having friends of different races, ethnicities and faiths is nothing new to this old baby-boomer (b. 1949). It was the norm in my community growing up. Interfaith and inter-ethnic marriages are nothing new either. Heck, my grandparents, b. 1891 and 1895, had an interfaith marriage. People of my parents' generation, the WW II vets, mixed it up a lot, too. By the time my generation married, it wasn't even an issue. I doubt it's "more often than not" that interracial marriages are happening today. I work in a pediatricians' office and see young couples every day.

How do you know your generation will feel the same way about marijuana 50 years from now? I want to know where you got your crystal ball. I want one like it.

Old 07-16-2011, 03:09 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,759,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyking View Post

The one thing I have come to the conclusion is we don't have any political philosophy in the West(US and UK)- Although maybe these thing only become clear in the long term

In the 90s there was feeling that the right wing was wrong, but the left was not correct and that a balance between the two was required - the third way - but at least there was a clear direction and difference between the right.

Since then Bush, Brown, Cameron and Obama - have all been muddled, middle of the way centrists attempting to mimic Clinton and Blair style policies with no clear ideas or real political philosphy.

Even in people person lives - narrow self interest has taken over from any sense of community, ideas, opinions of their own - just narrow self interest with no sense of their lives being connected to others.
I guess it remains to be seen what long-term direction the digital age will give our world. Some say it will lead mostly to negative consequences, others claim the opposite, and some even say it won't make any real difference as the old Greek already complained about change

Old 07-16-2011, 03:18 PM

701 posts, read 1,032,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyking View Post

Articulately stated.

Wish I knew the answer.

I wish the answer were that we've learned that the resources this planet gives us are finite and dwindling by the day. And that getting educated and working together is a whole lot better than killing each other. But it seems half the people in this forum would rather kill someone than help him, so I don't have my hopes up for the human race.

Old 07-16-2011, 03:29 PM

7,085 posts, read 12,060,763 times
Great, let's all making blanket statements of what tens of millions of people believe across the US based on what we believe (as one of that age) or what we have witnessed and made of narrative of in our minds (being outside the age group). It would be hard to think of a more futile and agonizingly stupid exercise, except maybe continuing to read the comments about it.

Old 07-16-2011, 03:31 PM

701 posts, read 1,032,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subsound View Post
Great, let's all making blanket statements of what tens of millions of people believe across the US based on what we believe (as one of that age) or what we have witnessed and made of narrative of in our minds (being outside the age group). It would be hard to think of a more futile and agonizingly stupid exercise, except maybe continuing to read the comments about it.
There's the answer about your generation: unthinking apathy.

Old 07-16-2011, 03:36 PM

7,085 posts, read 12,060,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qwerbilzak View Post
There's the answer about your generation: unthinking apathy.
Which generation is that? What is my age?

I just said making blanket statements assigning what people believe is insanely stupid. How is that apathy?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies