Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2012, 02:11 PM

15,896 posts, read 11,988,465 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
Pills weren't handed out like candy to anybody who was "depressed" back in the day and were not available all over. Yep the old doob at lunch was the main culprit till you turned 18 or got a fake ID to buy booze. Hell I remember getting my fake ID putting my head in front of a big whiteboard type thing and taking a polaroid cutting it out and getting it laminated. Now day's they got so much crap loaded onto em you gotta be connected to skynet.

You know, I did my fair share of partying as a teen, but never before or during school. Always after. I did however; sneak a smoke in the john in between classes. I would imagine nowadays with all of the smoking bans, it would be even harder to pull off in school.

Never had a problem getting booze. We had a friend in the neighborhood, who's dad had a keg, and worked 2nd shift at GM. Guess where the party usually was after school? Of course after awhile that got shut down. Plus, we always had someone we knew who was 21 to buy booze. Never had a fake ID.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2012, 02:12 PM

7,975 posts, read 7,351,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
For cryin' out loud, whatever happened to maybe rolling a joint, and having a few beers? Damn, when I was in high school, cigarettes, weed and alcohol were pretty much it. Yeah you had a select few who dabbled with acid and shrooms, and even a smaller bunch who would huff things. Never had an issue with heroin, like today, or with pills, or any of this other s***!
Oh, those were the days! Our local beer distributor NEVER carded us. He did a great business off the high school kids on a Friday night.

Kids today are getting scarily inentive, though.

Old 04-26-2012, 02:17 PM

1,805 posts, read 1,467,044 times
Gotta love all the "back in my day" stories. Guess I go a bit farther back cause back in my day every other mother had a ton of diet pills from their dr. I think there were more bennies than sweet tarts in my high school.

Old 04-26-2012, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Skeffington View Post
Oh, those were the days! Our local beer distributor NEVER carded us. He did a great business off the high school kids on a Friday night.

Kids today are getting scarily inentive, though.

As I mentioned my friend's dad had a keg, and if we couldn't go there to drink, we always knew someone old enough to get it. In fact stores rarely carded for cigarettes. We usually had no issues getting them either. As for weed.... well, being that it's illegal, drug dealers don't ID. All the more reason to end it's prohibition, and make it 21 and up like alcohol. Or lower the drinking age since at 18 you're old enough to go get killed in a war.

Old 04-26-2012, 02:19 PM

7,975 posts, read 7,351,944 times
Quote:
You know, I did my fair share of partying as a teen, but never before or during school. Always after. I did however; sneak a smoke in the john in between classes. I would imagine nowadays with all of the smoking bans, it would be even harder to pull off in school.

Never had a problem getting booze. We had a friend in the neighborhood, who's dad had a keg, and worked 2nd shift at GM. Guess where the party usually was after school? Of course after awhile that got shut down. Plus, we always had someone we knew who was 21 to buy booze. Never had a fake ID.
Our Friday nights ALWAYS involved beer - or Boone's Strawberry Farm or Riunite purchased by someone's older sib. We smoked cigarettes and drank beer, mostly. Our school was pretty progressive - it had a smoking lounge. Outside the band room. We had a cool bus driver who let us smoke on the school bus, if we cleaned up our butts before we got off. There were two buses on the route - one for the Jr. High and one for the High School. This was the high school bus.

Old 04-26-2012, 02:22 PM

83 posts, read 163,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
Darwin test. Weed out the idiots early.
I would only call it good social darwinism if adults are dumb enough to do that.

peer pressure and careless behavior is natural among kids...

Old 04-26-2012, 02:59 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,005,733 times
Quote:
As I mentioned my friend's dad had a keg, and if we couldn't go there to drink, we always knew someone old enough to get it. In fact stores rarely carded for cigarettes. We usually had no issues getting them either. As for weed.... well, being that it's illegal, drug dealers don't ID. All the more reason to end it's prohibition, and make it 21 and up like alcohol. Or lower the drinking age since at 18 you're old enough to go get killed in a war.
Hell I grew up in Kansas which had the open container law where you could drive around and chug beer as long as the driver didn't have one. lol. Cops would sometimes pull us over and if we were drunk he'd give us the look and make us dump out all the beer and say go home and don't let me catch you out the rest of the night. Now you get frogmarched to the pen.

Old 04-26-2012, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
Hell I grew up in Kansas which had the open container law where you could drive around and chug beer as long as the driver didn't have one. lol. Cops would sometimes pull us over and if we were drunk he'd give us the look and make us dump out all the beer and say go home and don't let me catch you out the rest of the night. Now you get frogmarched to the pen.

We didn't have that open container law in Ohio. Any open container in a vehicle will get you in trouble. Still, when we were young we didn't care. Just had to be careful. But now a days the nanny state knows no bounds. Everyone is a criminal.

Old 04-26-2012, 03:14 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,005,733 times
I remember they came out with a coca cola sleeve you could slide over a can before the coozie. Those were big sellers.

Old 04-26-2012, 03:41 PM

1,438 posts, read 1,146,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhenomenalAJ View Post
Kids generally don't have a ton of sense. Had hand sanitizer existed when I was a kid, I'd have likely drank it. I didn't even know you could drink hand sanitizer, thought it was isopropyl alcohol. Maybe parents should actually try watching their kids, won't ever happen tho.
Thank you for clarifying.

I am a teen and never in a million years would I do something like this. Why would I risk my life to get drunk? Stupid.

I love the "back in my day stories" they are hilarious yet enlightening. I was born in the wrong time period.

The farthest I've ever gone is smoking. I smoked for two years and when I got caught I quit cold turkey. I was friends with a lot of older people so they bought them for me. But all of my brothers friends that I hung out with smoked pot and drank and smoked around me once I got to a certain age. So I guess a few contact buzzes count.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies