Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2012, 02:12 AM

409 posts, read 254,484 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marce30 View Post
Who cares ? Apple products are great. I love my IMac, my MacBookAir and my Ipad. Once you go MAC you never go back to Windows.
You've been scammed and supporting one of the worst companies in the world. PCs are superior and 10x cheaper.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2012, 09:01 AM

2,266 posts, read 3,716,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InTheNameOfGod View Post
You've been scammed and supporting one of the worst companies in the world. PCs are superior and 10x cheaper.
I like the physical Mac hardware...but I'm sorry, the software is a PITA. If I ever got a Mac, the first thing I'd have to do is setup Win7 through bootcamp.

Old 05-03-2012, 11:51 AM

18,665 posts, read 19,972,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harborlady View Post
Where in the constitution does it state that? That's another country you're talking about.
It is part of a corporations bylaws to maximize shareholder value, and they are bound by them. Smart employees align themselves with that goal.

Old 05-03-2012, 01:23 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,180,231 times
American consumers are guilty of continuing to buy Apple products at high prices which allows Apple to have more profit than perhaps any reasonably sized company on the planet.

Apple generates almost as much profit as ExxonMobil on 1/4 the sales. All because American consumers are content to buy iPods, iPhones, iPads, etc. over and over.

Apple also is brutal with its suppliers - publishers, music makers, software companies, etc. - just as much as WalMart is with its suppliers.

Apple does some outstanding things. But I don't buy into the idea that a Mac is worth 25-50% more than a PC. Or that buying music through iTunes is a pleasant experience.

Old 05-03-2012, 01:30 PM

168 posts, read 142,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
American consumers are guilty of continuing to buy Apple products at high prices which allows Apple to have more profit than perhaps any reasonably sized company on the planet.

Apple generates almost as much profit as ExxonMobil on 1/4 the sales. All because American consumers are content to buy iPods, iPhones, iPads, etc. over and over.

Apple also is brutal with its suppliers - publishers, music makers, software companies, etc. - just as much as WalMart is with its suppliers.

Apple does some outstanding things. But I don't buy into the idea that a Mac is worth 25-50% more than a PC. Or that buying music through iTunes is a pleasant experience.
Some of us are content with buying a second hand one and sticking an FM transmitter into it for our car. You can't say that an iTouch isn't a really handy little device to have if you can't afford a data plan but have wifi. I can control my computer, check my e-mails, write notes, surf certain websites easier, and do all sorts of lite browsing things.

I've done this exactly three times for the 2GB of music I have. It's convienient when it's via the iPod and you want the song NOW, but other than that, I hate it.

Old 05-03-2012, 02:07 PM

6,464 posts, read 13,442,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
You can't blame Apple for eliminating the jobs of their competitors, that blame goes to those people that always have to buy the latest Apple product whether they need it or not.
Or the CEO's of the Companies that couldn't compete against Apple in the first place.

Old 05-03-2012, 02:20 PM

723 posts, read 2,193,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Budke View Post
They'll never manufacture products in the US. It's too expensive and would drastically raise the price of their products in order to pay people in America more than they pay them in China.
I don't even think we could if we tried, certainly not on the scale that Foxxconn and the other smaller players who contribute to iProducts in China.

Keep in mind folks Outside of the US is where Apple is trying to grow and is making great strides to do so. They are doing major league business in China and other places. If the chinese can pump them out in volume at a decent cost and get them in the customers hands in record time, what's the problem? What corp wouldn't want that?

China themselves are also making sure the manufacturing base goes nowhere by controlling the export of rare earth metals except for those who are manufacturing within the country (source) . This is a problem because electronics use lots of rare earth metals. I'm sure many of you will complain about how apple isn't eating the cost of the metals and doing manufacturing in the country but the point is, america isn't always the best place to do certain activities. WE DON'T have all the materials or expertise in the United States to pump these out in volume to everyone, so it's just not going to be done. Samsung makes the retina display used in the iPad. Apple isn't producing those themselves, in a vacuum. If China is the best place to build/receive these displays then it is what it is.

Last edited by Xeon1210; 05-03-2012 at 02:29 PM..

Old 05-03-2012, 02:34 PM

2,526 posts, read 3,005,230 times
Frankly, I think arguments like this stink to the high heavens.

For starters, if we are for free enterprise and capitalism, then we need to accept the fact that business is going to manufacture where they receive the most competitive labor force at a minimum of financial output.

Second, since we all want EVERYTHING to be affordable and shop accordingly, we are forcing every single company to find ways to save money and offer the products at prices that we, the consumers, are willing to pay.

But no, that's not how we want it to work. We want to pay squat for our products AND we want them made in the USA. These two goals are not truly compatible given the much higher wages in the US. If we lower our wages, then we no longer have the disposable income to buy the product anyway. It's catch 22...

Suck it up - this is capitalism and nothing else. If you hate it, perhaps you need to argue for a reformation of our entire system. Create protective laws, institute tariffs, enact fiscal repercussions for companies that produce abroad. Of course, be prepared for the backlash from all other nations who are affected by such laws. And kiss the idea of capitalism good-bye.

Old 05-03-2012, 04:17 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,972,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vamos View Post
Frankly, I think arguments like this stink to the high heavens.

For starters, if we are for free enterprise and capitalism, then we need to accept the fact that business is going to manufacture where they receive the most competitive labor force at a minimum of financial output.

Second, since we all want EVERYTHING to be affordable and shop accordingly, we are forcing every single company to find ways to save money and offer the products at prices that we, the consumers, are willing to pay.

But no, that's not how we want it to work. We want to pay squat for our products AND we want them made in the USA. These two goals are not truly compatible given the much higher wages in the US.
Great post-hypocrisy #3, we want our 401K to grow, but do we fight for higher wages in the corps making much our 401K? Why not if you whine for higher wages-put your money folks, where your mouth is. It will reduce their profits-which will reduce your 401k value, but you will be true to your values.

Old 05-03-2012, 04:19 PM

13,053 posts, read 12,953,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRAMERCAT View Post
But what about the competitors Apple has bumped off in its relentless move to the top?
What about them commie? What about them?

/slaps you upside the head to help you think a bit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies