Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2012, 04:24 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,527,199 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
Apple needs to maximize shareholder value, just like every other corp. Let the chips and jobs go where the aforementioned goal is best served. Its America's citizens job to be the place where they can maximize shareholder value.
I bought Apple stock when it was below $200 and my only regret is that I hadn't bought it much earlier... It's now at $581 a share--and I've made almost a 200% profit in over 2 years.

What are people now going to criticize a company for successfully marketing their products to a larger consumer base than their competitors?

That's the whole effin' point of succeeding in business...

Last edited by Deezus; 05-03-2012 at 04:48 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2012, 04:42 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,934,013 times
Default Nimby

Apple has more cash than the US Treasury. They are less likely to go bankrupt than the US government.

Want Apple to create US jobs? They will have to be allowed to bring back their $$ made in China without negative tax consequences, get special exemptions for manufacturing from the EPA, be allowed to pay workers "slave wages", OSHA...fugedaboudit, etc.......

So, did Apple destroy American jobs or did US regulations keep those jobs from being physically located in the USA?

Old 05-03-2012, 07:14 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,176,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wimzer View Post
Some of us are content with buying a second hand one and sticking an FM transmitter into it for our car. You can't say that an iTouch isn't a really handy little device to have if you can't afford a data plan but have wifi. I can control my computer, check my e-mails, write notes, surf certain websites easier, and do all sorts of lite browsing things.

I've done this exactly three times for the 2GB of music I have. It's convienient when it's via the iPod and you want the song NOW, but other than that, I hate it.
There is no such thing as an iTouch.

But if you like it - great. That you bought it used is even better.

Old 05-03-2012, 07:21 PM

9,848 posts, read 8,281,707 times
Apple sells to the world, doesn't want to be in an enviornment where they can easily be sued or striked against.
Unions, taxes, lawsuits and other rediculous things in the USA drove Apple out.

Maybe we should fix ourselves rather than point to them?
Maybe fixing ourselves doesn't mean having a union, lawsuits and so forth here in the USA?

Old 05-03-2012, 08:50 PM

17,005 posts, read 12,595,161 times
>They'll never manufacture products in the US. It's too expensive and would drastically raise the price of their products in order to pay people in America more than they pay them in China.<

It is not just cost. I read somewhere it would be like $60 more tho the cost of labor is rising ~15% a year there. It is cost plus a few other little details like the ability to roust thousands of employees out of their on site dorm beds in the middle of the night to fix something headquarters screwed up.

Apple Working Conditions - AskMen

Corning glass $12, 1 month of labor $290, ****ing over your employees at will and there is nothing they can do... priceless.

Old 05-03-2012, 09:12 PM

8,263 posts, read 12,198,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRAMERCAT View Post
Business Insider analyzed data on Bloomberg, went through dozens of 10-Ks, and read through layoff announcements to see how Apple's peers have done.
What we found:

Apple has destroyed nearly as many jobs as it helped create, eliminating some 490,570 positions.
That is pretty ****ty analysis, there is no way of knowing how much of these business failings came as a result of competition from Apple versus business environment and their own (mis)management. If two of their competitors go out of business is it just Apple or is it also the two of them competing?

42,000 Federal jobs lost during that timeframe and it is because of Apple? Nothing to do with the recession and the resulting lower tax revenues and belt-tightening that reduced government payrolls. Nah it is Apple that destroyed those jobs.

Borders? Nah it wasn't Google and Barnes & Noble bringing e-readers to the market when they were caught flat-footed, it was Apple.

This is one is hilarious:
"Amazon accounts for 1.9 percent of big brown's revenue. Using that as a reference point, and the fact that Apple revenues are more than twice Amazon's, Business Insider constructed the number of jobs Apple could have sustained if it shipped its products through the USPS."

Thats right, it is Apple's fault the post office laid off workers, since Apple didn't have a business model like Amazon that relied mostly on shipping things instead of hardware. Then to add to the dumbassedry they are somehow mixing USPS and UPS with the big brown reference.

This is the dumbest article I've read in a long time.

Old 05-03-2012, 09:27 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,119,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Apple has more cash than the US Treasury. They are less likely to go bankrupt than the US government.

Want Apple to create US jobs? They will have to be allowed to bring back their $$ made in China without negative tax consequences, get special exemptions for manufacturing from the EPA, be allowed to pay workers "slave wages", OSHA...fugedaboudit, etc.......

So, did Apple destroy American jobs or did US regulations keep those jobs from being physically located in the USA?
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCCCB View Post
Apple sells to the world, doesn't want to be in an enviornment where they can easily be sued or striked against.
Unions, taxes, lawsuits and other rediculous things in the USA drove Apple out.

Maybe we should fix ourselves rather than point to them?
Maybe fixing ourselves doesn't mean having a union, lawsuits and so forth here in the USA?
And have you considered that America is better off designing and creating the hardware and software of apple products, the apps, and all the other crap that spun off from it?

Have you considered that the consequences of getting rid of that stuff would be a lower standard of living?

Old 05-03-2012, 09:31 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,119,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
There is no such thing as an iTouch.

But if you like it - great. That you bought it used is even better.
Maybe ipod touch? I have one and they do connect to wifi even though they are like 6 years old.

Old 05-03-2012, 09:32 PM

15,531 posts, read 10,504,683 times
Are they paying their fair share of taxes?

Old 05-03-2012, 11:35 PM

1,571 posts, read 2,000,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marce30 View Post
Who cares ? Apple products are great. I love my IMac, my MacBookAir and my Ipad. Once you go MAC you never go back to Windows.
I don't have any Apple products, and I'm not using Windows. Both are too easily compromised with trojans and viruses. I can surf the "net" without any fear, and you don't get that kind of peace of mind with either Mac or Windows. And, I don't have to spend any money of anti-virus software either. Apple doesn't get as much as Windows, but it still gets infected.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies