Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2012, 09:29 AM

13,621 posts, read 12,741,650 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
ONE CHILD'S LIFE..is more important than a billion dogs.

so whats an american soildiers life in afghanistan worth???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2012, 09:32 AM

5,524 posts, read 9,944,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruxan View Post
so whats an american soildiers life in afghanistan worth???
How is this even relevant?

Old 05-10-2012, 09:41 AM

13,621 posts, read 12,741,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tluv00 View Post
How is this even relevant?

that guy said one childs life is worth more than a billion dogs. so.. i figure an afghanistan soildiers life is worth less than a billion dollars, based on how much money was and is being spent in afghanistan vs american soildiers lives lost in that war.. does that make sence.

Old 05-10-2012, 10:52 AM

29,407 posts, read 22,028,424 times
No it doesn't. This thread is about pit bulls and whether you consider them a danger.

Old 05-10-2012, 11:43 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,957,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
If all it takes is a good owner why don't more folks have bears and tigers and lions etc. as pets? There is a reason for that too.
Because they are Wild animals and have not been domesticated for thousands of years.
Pits were breed to fight other dogs and a few do have issues with other dogs, any that are aggressive to humans are either inbred or taught to be so. I have several friends that have them and there are a couple in our area, everyone one of them is the sweetest dog you could find. There are plenty of bad owners, very very few bad dogs. The people in Maryland are idiots when it comes to the true nature of pits or any other dogs. FYI, I was bitten by a sheepdog as a child, my youngest son was bitten by a dachshund as a child, and my wife was bitten by a poodle. Funny thing is I have owned Rotties, Dobbies, Malamutes, Newfoundland’s, Sheppard’s and Beagles, not one was ever bitten anyone but I wouldn't suggest trying your luck if they do not know you first, dogs bite more out of fear than aggression, but once they do know you you are in more danger from drowning in kisses than bites.

Which dog breed is most likely to bite? You might be surprised at the answer | Notes From The Funny Farm

Which dog breed is most likely to bite? - The Poodle (and Dog) Blog

Old 05-11-2012, 11:50 AM

2,631 posts, read 5,459,320 times
i have a challenge for any of the BSL supporters out there that think pit bulls should all be euthanized/banned/extra regulated/etc. if you think you are pretty confident in your use of logic and reason, i'd be interested in hearing your defense of BSL and its associated repercussions in the face of the facts that i quote below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stycotl View Post
even if we use the media's exaggerated and incorrect statistics, pit bulls are responsible for fewer than 7 fatal attacks and just over 60 serious attacks in the US every year.

take those 3-7 fatal pit bull attacks (depending on whether you believe the experts or the media), and compare that to the estimated total pit bull population of the US., which was predicted in 2009 to be somewhere around 10.6 million pit bulls, out of a total 54-78 million dogs in the country total. the media's liberal numbers even say that only one pit bull in 1.5 million will fatally bite someone, and one in 168,000 will seriously hurt someone. conservative estimates used by the professionals are obviously a lot less. that means that even by the liberal statistics of the media, 0.0006603774 percent of the pit bull population is involved in serious or fatal attacks every year in the US (although it is actually lower than that even because some of tallied attacks are made by the same dogs).
Quote:
wrong. for every pit bull that hurts someone, there are 168,000 that will not. sorry, dude, but that makes you wrong.

if you want to convince us that pit bulls are "never sweet," and are "inherently dangerous" (above and beyond how inherently dangerous any large dog is), then you have to account for the millions of pit bulls that go from cradle to grave without ever hurting anyone.
i have yet to see any BSL supporters engage these facts; they usually just deflect with another news article that we have seen before and that probably isn't even a pit bull (upwards of 70% of pit bull identifications are estimated to be wrong), or with some horrifying personal experience with the dogs (though again, there is a large chance that it wasn't even a pit bull).

anybody up for it?

EDIT: to clarify, upwards of 70% of non-DNA pit bull identifications are wrong. DNA tests are so far the only reliable way of identifying the animal.

Old 05-11-2012, 12:43 PM

Quote:
i have a challenge for any of the BSL supporters out there that think pit bulls should all be euthanized/banned/extra regulated/etc. if you think you are pretty confident in your use of logic and reason, i'd be interested in hearing your defense of BSL and its associated repercussions in the face of the facts that i quote below.

i have yet to see any BSL supporters engage these facts; they usually just deflect with another news article that we have seen before and that probably isn't even a pit bull (upwards of 70% of pit bull identifications are estimated to be wrong), or with some horrifying personal experience with the dogs (though again, there is a large chance that it wasn't even a pit bull).

anybody up for it?

EDIT: to clarify, upwards of 70% of non-DNA pit bull identifications are wrong. DNA tests are so far the only reliable way of identifying the animal.
OMG, we agree on something

Old 05-11-2012, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
Because they are Wild animals and have not been domesticated for thousands of years.
Pits were breed to fight other dogs and a few do have issues with other dogs, any that are aggressive to humans are either inbred or taught to be so. I have several friends that have them and there are a couple in our area, everyone one of them is the sweetest dog you could find. There are plenty of bad owners, very very few bad dogs. The people in Maryland are idiots when it comes to the true nature of pits or any other dogs. FYI, I was bitten by a sheepdog as a child, my youngest son was bitten by a dachshund as a child, and my wife was bitten by a poodle. Funny thing is I have owned Rotties, Dobbies, Malamutes, Newfoundland’s, Sheppard’s and Beagles, not one was ever bitten anyone but I wouldn't suggest trying your luck if they do not know you first, dogs bite more out of fear than aggression, but once they do know you you are in more danger from drowning in kisses than bites.

Which dog breed is most likely to bite? You might be surprised at the answer | Notes From The Funny Farm

Which dog breed is most likely to bite? - The Poodle (and Dog) Blog
Like I said before a kid can fight off a poodle not a pit. You want em around your kids or grandkids then take that chance. I had a neighbor with a Pit too and it was a nice dog. I still looked over my back and when my kids were up and walking I told him if I ever saw his dog loose I'd shoot it and he said he understood and told me to fire away. He never got loose and they moved a couple years later. Like I posted earlier every pit bull owner when they're dog maims somebody has the same reaction, the he was the nicest dog in the world, would never hurt a fly comments. Fact is they are powerful mutts and when their instinct kicks in and they go after somebody or some other animal it's over. I don't ever want one because I wouldn't want them going after my kids or grandkids and don't know if I could live with myself if it went after and maimed some other kid either.

Old 05-11-2012, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
Like I said before a kid can fight off a poodle not a pit. You want em around your kids or grandkids then take that chance. I had a neighbor with a Pit too and it was a nice dog. I still looked over my back and when my kids were up and walking I told him if I ever saw his dog loose I'd shoot it and he said he understood and told me to fire away. He never got loose and they moved a couple years later. Like I posted earlier every pit bull owner when they're dog maims somebody has the same reaction, the he was the nicest dog in the world, would never hurt a fly comments. Fact is they are powerful mutts and when their instinct kicks in and they go after somebody or some other animal it's over. I don't ever want one because I wouldn't want them going after my kids or grandkids and don't know if I could live with myself if it went after and maimed some other kid either.
In other words the dog never did a thing for you to threaten to shoot it, rational thinking. It is up to all dog owners to maintain control of their animals, that is simply logical, I always do because one never knows what could happen. The dog that bit me as a child was friendly and we had been playing together for two days without any problem, I bent down to pet him and he bite me in the face, not badly but enough to break the skin. The second after that the dog was all apologetic and wanted to play again, the owners and my parents believe he may have been stung by a bee at the time I bent down, there was a sting spot found on the dog. Problem was we were all from out of state at a camp site and the owners did not have the rabies papers to prove he had had them and I had to go through the series of shots, they were worse in those days than they are today. The point is any dog can bite out of fear or pain, pits are no different. Pits are actually not breed as gaurd dogs they are meant to fight other dogs, hence why some have issues with other dogs but not people. Now my dobe, rotti or even the shepperd are a different story, they are breed for guard and police work and people knew to be careful at first, all them were big babies around children, not always so around adults, dogs are a great judge of character. The only problem with pits are that because of their breeding they have a very strong bite and tend to not let go, it is a survival instinct for dog fighting, so hence the bite can be verg damaging, but if I had to pick I would take a bite from a pit over a doberman bite anyday, look at their teeth, and you would know why. Anyway, pits are no more dangerous than any other dog, and all dogs have to be treated with respect and large dogs need firm handling and good training, either by an experienced owner or professional trainer. When the pits got out of their yard down the street I simply brought them home, no problem, another reason to get to know the dogs that live near you, I would hate to have to shoot someones dog simply because of an unfounded fear and not because the dog did anything. Though I will admit I told the same to someone that used to live next to me years ago, they had a blue healer (also a strong bite) that had been mistreated as a pup and was not trustworthy and had bitten several people, the kids leaving school walked right by their home and I was very concerned what would happen if he got lose. They finally found a new home for it when they had a baby, a good home in the country with a single man, worked out great in the long run for all.

Old 05-11-2012, 02:00 PM

Well dogs are known to get out once in a while it's what they do. The difference is a Pit can maim you or children. They are a powerful animal. Like I said the neighbor's dog was a very nice dog but I'm not taking any chances with my kids. If the guy had a Doberman I'd have told him the very same thing. I don't hate pit bulls but am not gonna take any chances with em either.

I don't envy you for having to get rabies shots. My sister got bit when we were kids and she had to go through that too. I was little but remember her getting a bunch of shot in her stomach.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies