Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2012, 05:17 PM

5,524 posts, read 9,943,650 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
One doesn't need a link to know that pitties are regularly and frequently misidentified.
One doesn't need proof to show they are right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2012, 07:45 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,026,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
You are so dead wrong it's pathetic. You obviously have zero clue on how to raise dogs OR kids, and have ZERO understanding of leash laws and why they should be obeyed.
You put your kids on a leash?? That's not right.

Leash laws are nice until the dog gets out. I'm sure that never happens to pit bulls though. lol

Old 05-03-2012, 08:30 PM

8,299 posts, read 8,612,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
Leash laws are nice until the dog gets out. I'm sure that never happens to pit bulls though. lol
Exactly. Last summer I was out walking my two elderly dogs. A pit bull come along off leash but with a collar. Living in Baltimore, I wasn't bothered by it because plenty of non-low life types own pit bulls, and they had all been quite nice. Well I stopped to call out to a woman to see if this was her dog when I heard the owner calling for the dog up the alley. As the owner came around the corner, her pit bull walked up to my beagle, grabbed her by the neck, flipped her over, pulled her about 15 feet into the street, and would not let go for about 3 minutes. The owner, a early 20-something white woman, got down on the ground to try and pull her dog off. I kicked the crap out of that dog, but it would not let go until it was good and ready.

When the vet did the surgery to remove the damaged tissue, my dogs wounds were literally down to the bone.

Later the owner said that the 4 year-old dog had never done anything like this before and lived quite pleasantly with her roommate's little dog. Just as I screamed at her right after the attack, I told her that that dog needed to be put down, as the next time it goes off it could attack a child instead of a dog. And sure enough that dog is still living.

I'm glad for this finding. Makes my lawsuit against the owner a whole lot easier.

Old 05-03-2012, 08:48 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,645,393 times
It's ridiculous to single out pits.... the owner of ANY dog that does damage should be ultimately responsible regardless of breed.

My pit wouldn't hurt a fly, and she's tipping the scales at 35 lbs so it's not like she's a big dog by any means. My roommates australian shepherds? They've bitten at least 6 people that I know of in the last 6 months I've lived here. 2 people required stitches. My brother was attacked by a golden retriever when he was younger.

Old 05-03-2012, 09:04 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,433,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanJP View Post
It's good that they're holding owners responsible, but I disagree with an entire breed being found "dangerous". I love pits, never been bitten by one, but there was that one Queensland Heeler that found my hand tasty...

****ty owners results in ****ty dogs. Good owners take the time to train and socialize their animals.
They are bred to attack and kill. Sure maybe not all of them will do so but they all have the capacity to do so. Anyone who puts a small child in their path is asking for trouble.

Old 05-03-2012, 09:09 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,077,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanJP View Post
I disagree with an entire breed being found "dangerous". I love pits, never been bitten by one, but there was that one Queensland Heeler that found my hand tasty...

****ty owners results in ****ty dogs. Good owners take the time to train and socialize their animals.
I too do not believe in breed specific regulations but there are good owners who acquire bad dogs due to bad breeders and there are a lot of really bad breeders.

What I would like to see is real regulation and licensing of breeders. One of the things that I admire about the Germans is that they requirement that before a work breed dog can be bred that it must earn a Schutzhund (protection, obedience, tracking) degree. I would argue that before any naturally aggressive breed be allowed to be bred the parent dogs must pass an approved obedience program and temperament testings.

Old 05-03-2012, 09:23 PM

13,887 posts, read 13,683,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
It's ridiculous to single out pits.... the owner of ANY dog that does damage should be ultimately responsible regardless of breed.
Yes.

Old 05-03-2012, 09:49 PM

8,299 posts, read 8,612,839 times
It certainly wasn't like this in Chicago, at least not when I lived there, but you can't imagine the number of pitt bulls / pit bull mixes in Baltimore. In wealthier areas and especially in poor areas. It's crazy! So I'm not surprised that they are being singled out here.

Last edited by helenejen; 05-03-2012 at 10:12 PM..

Old 05-03-2012, 09:56 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,026,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by helenejen View Post
Exactly. Last summer I was out walking my two elderly dogs. A pit bull come along off leash but with a collar. Living in Baltimore, I wasn't bothered by it because plenty of non-low life types own pit bulls, and they had all been quite nice. Well I stopped to call out to a woman to see if this was her dog when I heard the owner calling for the dog up the alley. As the owner came around the corner, her pit bull walked up to my beagle, grabbed her by the neck, flipped her over, pulled her about 15 feet into the street, and would not let go for about 3 minutes. The owner, a early 20-something white woman, got down on the ground to try and pull her dog off. I kicked the crap out of that dog, but it would not let go until it was good and ready.

When the vet did the surgery to remove the damaged tissue, my dogs wounds were literally down to the bone.

Later the owner said that the 4 year-old dog had never done anything like this before and lived quite pleasantly with her roommate's little dog. Just as I screamed at her right after the attack, I told her that that dog needed to be put down, as the next time it goes off it could attack a child instead of a dog. And sure enough that dog is still living.

I'm glad for this finding. Makes my lawsuit against the owner a whole lot easier.
We tried to find a leash that would fit our pot bellied pig but his neck was too fat so he'd just wander off and eat the neighbors flowers so I guess I am guilty of violating the leash law. It appears the owner you dealt with had the same story as the others..........dog would never hurt a fly and on and on. Well that's not such a big deal if it's some yipper dog nipping at your heels. A pit can tear your limbs off and maim folks for life. That is what many of these owners, even the so called responsible one, fail to realize or fail to even consider until it actually happens. This law may make it easier to sue but suing is what is done after the attack has taken place. No reason to have a pit bull IMO. Also owners can be as responsible as possible in raising a mutt but if you got a kid who oops leaves the door open once is all it takes.

Old 05-03-2012, 10:04 PM

10,564 posts, read 12,830,155 times
Pit Bulls are banned in Toronto. They are dangerous- It is not that they are a wicked dog..it's just that they have been bred to bite - rip flesh and hold on relentlessly. They are a meat grinder on four legs..Once they take hold they blank out...it becomes a mindless powerful jaw...You have to either short out this killing machine by bashing it's brains out or shooting it silly...After a number of children were ripped to shreds..We got wise and said no more. When they are calm- these dogs are wonderful I am sure- once they go into killing mode...it's auto-pilot till the bitter end.

You will see Pit Bulls on occasion still...Heavily muzzled and under firm control...Kids come before dogs...or people that love dogs more than kids. These dogs are one of man's engineering mistakes
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies