Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-03-2012, 01:16 PM

3,852 posts, read 4,521,867 times

Advertisements

Call Kurtis: I Don’t Have Insurance, Don’t Take Me To The Hospital « CBS Sacramento [quote]Some have been forced in this economy to drop their pricey medical insurance. A Loomis man without coverage says first responders forced him to the hospital after his motorcycle crash. Now he faces more than $40,000 in bills he doesn’t feel he should have to pay.

If you live outside the US you might think this article came from a parody news site. It did not. This is reality. Americans with broken bones in their heads are refusing to go to the hospital because they are afraid the bills will bankrupt them.

It's flabbergasting. Do I think people with head injuries should be allowed to refuse medical care? Of course not. Do I think they should be charged for it? OF COURSE NOT. If the government forces healthcare providers to treat people, the government should pay for it!

Americans may not be aware that there often are very few consequences to not paying medical bills, or they may be afraid of how non-payment might affect their reputation. I think this illustrates a very scary thing: Many Americans care more about their financial health than their actual, physical health.

No matter how much debt you are in, you cannot be put in jail for it, they cannot take away your primary residence or your car, and they cannot dock your pay so severely that you cannot survive. Any luxuries you may lose can be re-acquired later on. Your body and mind are your most precious possession and you can never replace them.

Last edited by CaseyB; 05-03-2012 at 02:48 PM.. Reason: copyright
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2012, 02:31 PM

3,566 posts, read 3,734,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interlude View Post
Call Kurtis: I Don’t Have Insurance, Don’t Take Me To The Hospital « CBS Sacramento If you live outside the US you might think this article came from a parody news site. It did not. This is reality. Americans with broken bones in their heads are refusing to go to the hospital because they are afraid the bills will bankrupt them.

It's flabbergasting. Do I think people with head injuries should be allowed to refuse medical care? Of course not. Do I think they should be charged for it? OF COURSE NOT. If the government forces healthcare providers to treat people, the government should pay for it!

Americans may not be aware that there often are very few consequences to not paying medical bills, or they may be afraid of how non-payment might affect their reputation. I think this illustrates a very scary thing: Many Americans care more about their financial health than their actual, physical health.

No matter how much debt you are in, you cannot be put in jail for it, they cannot take away your primary residence or your car, and they cannot dock your pay so severely that you cannot survive. Any luxuries you may lose can be re-acquired later on. Your body and mind are your most precious possession and you can never replace them.
What's your point?

Old 05-03-2012, 03:00 PM

9,949 posts, read 8,856,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interlude View Post
We let them vote for Democrats every 4 years, why shouldn't they be allowed to refuse medical care?

Old 05-03-2012, 03:07 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,145,620 times
People should always be able to refuse treatment. If somebody tries to take me to a hospital against my wishes, they better be ready for one heck of a lawsuit.

20yrsinBranson

Old 05-03-2012, 03:07 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,758,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMe View Post
What's your point?
The point where dying from your injuries from an accident is a sexier option than living and paying high medical bills is the point where there is a major problem with healthcare in the US.

Old 05-03-2012, 03:12 PM

3,852 posts, read 4,521,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
The point where dying from your injuries from an accident is a sexier option than living and paying high medical bills is the point where there is a major problem with healthcare in the US.
Precisely.

Strange that the mods cut the article on copyright grounds; this is a clear cut fair use situation.

Old 05-03-2012, 03:18 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,949,243 times
Catastrophic only health insurance is not expensive. People make choices, this one in the OP chose wrongly. Sometimes stupid is expensive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies