Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2007, 11:58 PM

4,704 posts, read 4,042,723 times

Advertisements

I did not mean to imply that this specific proposal had anything to do with statehood. I mentioned it only because since 1970 there has been a strong movement to attain statehood for D.C. to "correct" the injustice of having no real representation in Congress. My point was that there is an easier way to get the representation they deserve, rather than keep after something that has little chance of ever happening.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2007, 12:20 AM

4,426 posts, read 5,919,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyT View Post
Originally Washington, D.C. was created from land that was ceded from Maryland and Virginia. Up until 1801, residents of Washington, D.C. were eligible to vote and run for office in Maryland or Virginia. In 1846, the land ceded from Virginia was returned to their jurisdiction, but the land from Maryland was not.

There are two possible solutions to the problem, without going as far as making Washington, D.C. a state. One would be to (if Maryland and Congress were to agree) retrocede D.C. back to Maryland, giving them jurisdiction over the city. Since the Constitution does require that a district be established that is controlled not by a state but Congress alone, some areas would have to be excluded from the retrocession.

Easier still would be to simply treat D.C. residents as Maryland voters when it comes to House and Senate elections. All it would take is for Congress to grant them this right. This would most likely increase the number of representatives that Maryland has in the House.

Just my opinion, but it seems like these options make more sense then going after statehood. But then again, some people I guess enjoy trying to reinvent the wheel.
I don't know if giving maryland more seats to represent DC when DC won't be part of maryland is a good idea...that is still not proper representation..
I don't know why they just don't pool all the population together.. treat dc as it is.. a district.. but factor their population into the national total.. and divide by how many seats we have.. and then give everyone the proper number just like we do now... dc has the same if not more people than some states.. so they should just get one.. take one from a state that is declining in population...

Old 09-20-2007, 05:27 AM

19,198 posts, read 31,479,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
The more inflammatory contemporary rhetoric is, the more likely it is that the source is relatively impotent.
Hmmm. Doesn't say much for the virility of the right-wing...

Old 09-20-2007, 09:43 AM

20,169 posts, read 24,334,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
Hmmm. Doesn't say much for the virility of the right-wing...
Or the Left.

(You still flying in circles? )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies