Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should churchs be taxed?
Yes, tax them to the full extend of other businesses. 31 46.97%
Yes, but allow certain exemptions to be fair. 15 22.73%
No, they deserve to remain exempt. 20 30.30%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2012, 07:28 PM

2,490 posts, read 2,548,766 times

Advertisements

Some will probably disagree with me, but I am completely convinced that the church is a business. They have to appeal to 'customers' (congregation) that leads to purchases (sometimes literal, but more often donations and tithes) which goes towards bills and managment (secretary, minister, manager, etc) and are usually members of an associated business group (PCA, SBA, CoJCoLDS)

So, with all the lobbying and politics they try and get involved in, do you agree that they should be treated like most other businesses and have to pay local, state, and federal taxes? Is this only fair considering they take up land that could be used for something else and are largely profitable yet untouchable? Could this be a solution not only for helping seperate church and state, but also fund tight budgets that keep getting tighter? After all, they still take up land, use roads for accessibility, use utilities, and as I stated before, follow usual business principles.

You decide...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2012, 09:16 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,755,049 times
Most churches are not in "business", and I am not sure where you get the idea that they are "profitable". Who is making profits? Anyway, the separation of church and state entitles them to be exempt from taxes.

That being said, I am sure there are some corrupt people running churches as businesses, and maybe making money. But why punish all of them, and the services they provide to their communities, for the actions of a few?

Old 05-11-2012, 09:20 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,851,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Most churches are not in "business", and I am not sure where you get the idea that they are "profitable". Who is making profits? Anyway, the separation of church and state entitles them to be exempt from taxes.

That being said, I am sure there are some corrupt people running churches as businesses, and maybe making money. But why punish all of them, and the services they provide to their communities, for the actions of a few?

Churches make a profit whenever they can.

Quote:
Bankers' best guesses about the Vatican's wealth put it at $10 billion to $15 billion. Of this wealth, Italian stockholdings alone run to $1.6 billion, 15% of the value of listed shares on the Italian market. The Vatican has big investments in banking, insurance, chemicals, steel, construction, real estate.
Read more: Roman Catholics: The Vatican's Wealth - TIME

Old 05-11-2012, 09:23 PM

749 posts, read 839,585 times
When applicable.....absolutely!

Old 05-11-2012, 09:25 PM

4,078 posts, read 5,615,877 times
Quote:

What about their "non-profit" hospitals? Funny how I see more and more community hospitals being closed while more and more "non-profit" (mostly Catholic) hospitals are being built and/or renovated. They sure are nice looking, not inexpensive for care though.

It's a freaking sham.

Old 05-11-2012, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Churches make a profit whenever they can.
I am not a huge fan of organized religion but denying that they do a ridiculous amount of good is as silly as denying they have done great harm.

From your own link "Dividends help pay for Vatican expenses and charities such as assisting 1,500,000 children and providing some measure of food and clothing to 7,000,000 needy Italians."

Holy crap (pun intended) that is a lot of people they have helped. Why should they pay taxes on that money?

So again, WHO is making profits? It appears you claim the church itself is? But who are the people making all of this money?

Old 05-11-2012, 09:36 PM

1,182 posts, read 1,140,999 times
Quote:

They should pay at least property taxes like everybody else has to do. The use the cops and firemen and EMS services like everybody else does. And if the run a school, that should be taxed the same as a non religious private school is taxed.

Old 05-11-2012, 09:36 PM

32,822 posts, read 19,513,881 times
ALL 'non' profits should be taxed...too include UNIONS, and political organizations like the DNC, RNC, acorn, naacp, etc

Old 05-11-2012, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Middle School Mustache View Post
What about their "non-profit" hospitals? Funny how I see more and more community hospitals being closed while more and more "non-profit" (mostly Catholic) hospitals are being built and/or renovated. They sure are nice looking, not inexpensive for care though.

It's a freaking sham.
I have not seen that. I have seen lots of the FOR PROFIT hospitals, centra state, meridian, etc.

That being said, blaming catholic hospitals for expensive care is sort of meaningless. They still have to pay doctors, malpractice insurance, and all the other stuff that probably makes up the largest portion of any hospitals costs.

Old 05-11-2012, 09:38 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,851,772 times
Quote:
I am not a huge fan of organized religion but denying that they do a ridiculous amount of good is as silly as denying they have done great harm.

From your own link "Dividends help pay for Vatican expenses and charities such as assisting 1,500,000 children and providing some measure of food and clothing to 7,000,000 needy Italians."

Holy crap (pun intended) that is a lot of people they have helped. Why should they pay taxes on that money?

So again, WHO is making profits? It appears you claim the church itself is? But who are the people making all of this money?
Who does the Vatican help in America?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies