Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2012, 06:52 AM

13,887 posts, read 13,706,906 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
As opposed to the 'infallible' former Hitler Youth who is currently head honcho in Rome?
See Post #18.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2012, 06:53 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,252,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
About the only accusation I can make from this exchange is your reading comprehension seems sub-par as I've said no such thing.

I haven't read the bill that is 'Obamacare' and have no idea if it's good, bad, or indifferent, the hyperbole on either side not withstanding.

But it's self-Righteous BS to allege a private college should be allowed to hide behind a church and avoid any law that would pertain to a private college. Besides, reuiring HC to cover birth control DOES NOT force anyone to use it so it's a moot point claiming it goes against the teachings of the church.

BTW: some giant leap?

I suggest you be careful when you take the big one down from your high horse, Bucko
You havent read the bill, nor have no opinion on it, but you have absolutely no problem subjecting everyone to it, because of some actions which happened in a church, which has absolutely nothing at all to do with the thread?

Why the hell are you even commenting on the thread then?

Old 05-16-2012, 06:54 AM

68,363 posts, read 54,576,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
If you're going to whine about Catholics and not participate in the subject of the thread, which is the cost and unconstitutionality of OCare, maybe you'd be more comfortable posting in the religious forum.
Get a clue, Biff. The thread also mentions some mystical 'Religious Freedom Attack' so the attempt by a private college to claim they're not subject to any law that affects private entities due to 'teachings of the church' is open to question.

Old 05-16-2012, 06:56 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,252,293 times
Quote:
Okay, so the college is not a church. So why are they referencing the 'consistent teachings of the Catholic Church'?

Got any more hairs to split?
According to that logic, white people shoudlnt be referring to the period of time when americas owned slaves because they arent black..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
If you're going to whine about Catholics and not participate in the subject of the thread, which is the cost and unconstitutionality of OCare, maybe you'd be more comfortable posting in the religious forum.
Bingo.. Just another reason for people to spout out their hate.

Old 05-16-2012, 06:57 AM

13,718 posts, read 9,052,864 times
The article is about this private college dropping its mandate for health care coverage for students (I did not see anything about the college dropping any health care coverage it provides, if it does, for its employees).

One possibility for the college's decision: under the new health care act, students can remain on their parent's HC coverage until age 26 (if I recall correctly). I bet that few students lacked HC upon entering the school, and I bet that even fewer purchased HC coverage from the college.

Indeed, it may be that the college's agreement with its HC insurance company is that a certain number of students take part in the insurance; if that base number is not satisfied, then no coverage at all would be offered by the insurance company (unless the college acted as its own insurer, which I doubt).

It is within the realm of possibility that the college had been notified that due to the lack of student participation, the insurance company would not be providing any coverage. The college then decided to make some 'hay' by posting said announcement, blaming the new health care act and being morally outraged. Stranger things have happened.

Old 05-16-2012, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
You havent read the bill, nor have no opinion on it, but you have absolutely no problem subjecting everyone to it, because of some actions which happened in a church, which has absolutely nothing at all to do with the thread?
Have you actually read anything here?

A private college is attempting to hide behind the church to avoid copmpliance with the law. In case you haven't heard, when we think a law is bad here we change it, the way it should be. Hiding behind the church shouldn't absolve them of compliance with any law affecting private colleges.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Why the hell are you even commenting on the thread then?
Because I'm damn tired of seeing self-Righteous attempts to excuse civil wrong-doing with religious BS.

BHow about you?

Old 05-16-2012, 07:02 AM

90,296 posts, read 121,034,780 times
The school is being a bit disingenuous.

Franciscan University Drops Entire Student Health Insurance Plan Over Birth Control Mandate

The announcement is somewhat misleading. Under the new rule, Franciscan University would not have to pay for any student's contraception. The administration carved out an exemption for religious organizations, including Catholic schools, that would require the insurance company itself to pay for the insured's birth control coverage "directly and separately." Nonprofit schools that don't currently cover birth control can also qualify for a one-year transition period to comply with the new requirement.

41,325 posts, read 45,035,717 times
Quote:
Could this be the same Roman Catholic church that connived with the Nazis, that protected war criminals and that has covered up systematic abuse of children? Still, at least their teachings are 'consistent'.
Deflect, deflect, deflect. Try and stay on topic, which is a Catholic college dropping HC coverage for it's students BECAUSE of OBAMA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
About the only accusation I can make from this exchange is your reading comprehension seems sub-par as I've said no such thing.

I haven't read the bill that is 'Obamacare' and have no idea if it's good, bad, or indifferent, the hyperbole on either side not withstanding.

But it's self-Righteous BS to allege a private college should be allowed to hide behind a church and avoid any law that would pertain to a private college. Besides, reuiring HC to cover birth control DOES NOT force anyone to use it so it's a moot point claiming it goes against the teachings of the church.

BTW: some giant leap?

I suggest you be careful when you take the big one down from your high horse, Bucko
See, this is all about the religious freedom, guaranteed in the Constitution and under attack by the obama administration via obamacare. This is a religious institution, perfectly legal, perfectly within their RIGHT to say they will not comply with obama's onerous dictate attacking their religious freedom.

Quote:
Hiding behind the church
Hiding? There are THOUSANDS of colleges, hospitals schools across the nation that adhere to religious teachings of the church. Why do you think obama PRETENDED to carve out an exception (that really isn't) for churches AND THEIR AFFILIATES?

Quote:
Okay, so the college is not a church. So why are they referencing the 'consistent teachings of the Catholic Church'?

Got any more hairs to split?
This is what the attack on churches, schools, colleges, hospitals was all about when obama dictated they MUST cover BC, sterilizations and abortifacients that goes against their religious teachings.

Quote:
The school is being a bit disingenuous.
No, many colleges, universities and hospital SELF INSURE.

6,391 posts, read 5,179,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
The article is about this private college dropping its mandate for health care coverage for students (I did not see anything about the college dropping any health care coverage it provides, if it does, for its employees).

One possibility for the college's decision: under the new health care act, students can remain on their parent's HC coverage until age 26 (if I recall correctly). I bet that few students lacked HC upon entering the school, and I bet that even fewer purchased HC coverage from the college.

Indeed, it may be that the college's agreement with its HC insurance company is that a certain number of students take part in the insurance; if that base number is not satisfied, then no coverage at all would be offered by the insurance company (unless the college acted as its own insurer, which I doubt).

It is within the realm of possibility that the college had been notified that due to the lack of student participation, the insurance company would not be providing any coverage. The college then decided to make some 'hay' by posting said announcement, blaming the new health care act and being morally outraged. Stranger things have happened.
Read much? The article states the college has about 2500 students and less than 2000 were covered under the college HC plan.

Let's read into it a bit, they didn't say less than 1900, or 1800, they said 2000, which would indicate somewhere between 1901 and 1999 students are buying health insurance from the college. Probably because at $600 a student, it's a bargain.

They also said they were keeping healthcare for the staff, which would indicate they are keeping the healthcare plan.

You must still be waking up, your arguments normally take such information into account.

Old 05-16-2012, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post

See, this is all about the religious freedom, guaranteed in the Constitution and under attack by the obama administration via obamacare. This is a religious institution, perfectly legal, perfectly within their RIGHT to say they will not comply with obama's onerous dictate attacking their religious freedom.
Is this college private or part of the church?

If private, please point out where they're absolved of compliance with any civil law due to teachings of a church.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies