Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2012, 07:06 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,821,925 times

Advertisements

Eliminating student health insurance will save the college a lot of money. I wonder if they will reduce their tuition accordingly. Somehow I doubt that will ever happen. They are in the indoctrination business and are expected to make as much money as possible. They are just hiding behind a church to avoid insuring their students.

Nonsense like this is why we need a Universal Health Care system funded from general taxes instead of mandatory insurance as specified by the current law.

As you object so vehemently to “Obamacare” I suggest you lobby your Congress critters and get a new law passed that agrees with your position. Whining about the Constitutionality is justa cop out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2012, 07:07 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,854,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
The article is about this private college dropping its mandate for health care coverage for students (I did not see anything about the college dropping any health care coverage it provides, if it does, for its employees).

One possibility for the college's decision: under the new health care act, students can remain on their parent's HC coverage until age 26 (if I recall correctly). I bet that few students lacked HC upon entering the school, and I bet that even fewer purchased HC coverage from the college.

Indeed, it may be that the college's agreement with its HC insurance company is that a certain number of students take part in the insurance; if that base number is not satisfied, then no coverage at all would be offered by the insurance company (unless the college acted as its own insurer, which I doubt).

It is within the realm of possibility that the college had been notified that due to the lack of student participation, the insurance company would not be providing any coverage. The college then decided to make some 'hay' by posting said announcement, blaming the new health care act and being morally outraged. Stranger things have happened.
None of that is mentioned in the article in the Huffpo, nor in the OP's links. And, in the sencond link, the university outright lies:

“For this reason we urge HHS (and the Departments of Labor and of the Treasury that jointly issued the interim final rule) to exempt all stakeholders with a religious or moral objection to ‘contraceptives’ (including abortifacients as well as non-abortifacient mechanisms of action), sterilization, and related education and counseling, from having to provide, offer, pay for or in any way participate in health insurance that includes such coverage. The right to religious freedom requires no less.”

That exemption does exist, as I posted above.

It may come as a surprise to those of you who haven't been in college lately and/or who haven't had a student in college, but having to buy health ins. or prove you already have it is universal among the colleges I'm familiar with. Apparently colleges don't want their students to be uninsured.

Old 05-16-2012, 07:10 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,156,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Have you actually read anything here?
Yes, and as usual, I find myself laughing at the left wingers who put their ignorance on display, over, and over..
Quote:
A private college is attempting to hide behind the church to avoid copmpliance with the law. In case you haven't heard, when we think a law is bad here we change it, the way it should be. Hiding behind the church shouldn't absolve them of compliance with any law affecting private colleges.
Wait, wait, wait.. Now all of a sudden you now recognize that its a private college, but 5 minutes ago, you were trying to say a college, and church, is the exact same thing.. Thats some 180 degree turn there...
Quote:
Because I'm damn tired of seeing self-Righteous attempts to excuse civil wrong-doing with religious BS.

BHow about you?
Wooo there, it was YOU left wingers who used this thread as a reason to bash and hate, now by your own admission, on a thread that has absolutely NOTHING to do with the university in question.

41,325 posts, read 44,975,014 times
Quote:
Is this college private or part of the church?

If private, please point out where they're absolved of compliance with any civil law due to teachings of a church.
Ever hear of the 1st Amendment?

Quote:
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof...
The "free exercise". Meaning churches AND THEIR AFFILIATES can manage their own internal affairs without government dictates.

Quote:
And, in the sencond link, the university outright lies:
Quote:
“For this reason we urge HHS (and the Departments of Labor and of the Treasury that jointly issued the interim final rule) to exempt all stakeholders with a religious or moral objection to ‘contraceptives’ (including abortifacients as well as non-abortifacient mechanisms of action), sterilization, and related education and counseling, from having to provide, offer, pay for or in any way participate in health insurance that includes such coverage. The right to religious freedom requires no less.”
Where are they lying? The religious affiliate is responsible for minding their own affairs when it comes to religion, not the government.

Remember, this case (obama's attack on religious freedom) is headed to SCOTUS, where he already was smacked down 9-0 in another related religious freedom case.

13,697 posts, read 9,021,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkatt View Post
Read much? The article states the college has about 2500 students and less than 2000 were covered under the college HC plan.

Let's read into it a bit, they didn't say less than 1900, or 1800, they said 2000, which would indicate somewhere between 1901 and 1999 students are buying health insurance from the college. Probably because at $600 a student, it's a bargain.

They also said they were keeping healthcare for the staff, which would indicate they are keeping the healthcare plan.

You must still be waking up, your arguments normally take such information into account.

I did not see that in the second linked article (I did not read the first one).

Obama Mandate Forces First Catholic College to Drop Insurance | LifeNews.com

Anyway, that is many more than I had thought would be participating. I am a little surprised at the number, but such is life.

Old 05-16-2012, 07:13 AM

13,697 posts, read 9,021,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
None of that is mentioned in the article in the Huffpo, nor in the OP's links. And, in the sencond link, the university outright lies:

“For this reason we urge HHS (and the Departments of Labor and of the Treasury that jointly issued the interim final rule) to exempt all stakeholders with a religious or moral objection to ‘contraceptives’ (including abortifacients as well as non-abortifacient mechanisms of action), sterilization, and related education and counseling, from having to provide, offer, pay for or in any way participate in health insurance that includes such coverage. The right to religious freedom requires no less.â€

That exemption does exist, as I posted above.

It may come as a surprise to those of you who haven't been in college lately and/or who haven't had a student in college, but having to buy health ins. or prove you already have it is universal among the colleges I'm familiar with. Apparently colleges don't want their students to be uninsured.

I agree. I was stating my opinion about a possible reason for the college dropping its HC mandate for undergraduate students. I would have been surprised if my opinion had made it into those publications.

I will note that when I attended college and law school I had no health insurance. Of course, that was back in the 1970s/80s.

Old 05-16-2012, 07:14 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,156,622 times
Quote:
Is this college private or part of the church?
you dont know? 5 minutes ago you were an expert on the subject, now you admit you know nothing.. Wow..
Quote:
If private, please point out where they're absolved of compliance with any civil law due to teachings of a church.
Who the hell said they were absolved of compliance with civil laws? The fact that they arent, and have chosen to drop insurance because they arent exempt, is the topic of the thread. Please try to follow along.

Old 05-16-2012, 07:15 AM

13,887 posts, read 13,683,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Eliminating student health insurance will save the college a lot of money. I wonder if they will reduce their tuition accordingly. Somehow I doubt that will ever happen. They are in the indoctrination business and are expected to make as much money as possible. They are just hiding behind a church to avoid insuring their students.

Nonsense like this is why we need a Universal Health Care system funded from general taxes instead of mandatory insurance as specified by the current law.

As you object so vehemently to “Obamacare” I suggest you lobby your Congress critters and get a new law passed that agrees with your position. Whining about the Constitutionality is justa cop out.
Huh? Have you completely missed the fact that this very issue is in process of being settled by SCOTUS? It got there because people don't want the freaking government mandating freaking health care!!!!!

Obviously, lobbying congress does no good. That was done by the majority of Americans but our elected officials plowed right on through. THEY MUST BE VOTED OUT!

And if you folks think this one school is news, just wait. If SCOTUS doesn't rule the POS unconstitutional, pretty much every employer in America will drop health care.

The entire O presidency is a 100% EPIC FAIL!

Old 05-16-2012, 07:16 AM

68,333 posts, read 54,445,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Yes, and as usual, I find myself laughing at the left wingers who put their ignorance on display, over, and over..

Wait, wait, wait.. Now all of a sudden you now recognize that its a private college, but 5 minutes ago, you were trying to say a college, and church, is the exact same thing.. Thats some 180 degree turn there...
You're a very confused individual. I said no such thing. It's you who's trying to justify a private college's attempt at avoiding compliance with a law by hiding behind a church. Perhaps it's just your self-Righteous hypocrisy that has you so amused.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Wooo, there it was YOU left wingers who used this thread as a reason to bash and hate, now by your own admission, on a thread that has absolutely NOTHING to do with the university in question.
Where did anyone say any such thing?

Old 05-16-2012, 07:17 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,143,565 times
Want to find out who the Jesus Hater's are? Criticize the Obama Administration's incessant attacks on religion through policymaking, and you'll find out very quickly who on this forum despises Christ and everything he stands for. America doesn't need enemies when people such as this roam our society.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies