Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2012, 06:25 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,005,733 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
You can dream up as many problems about youth as you want. We have to get a handle on this fat thing in the USA. The subject is soda not condoms. So you are saying"everyone else is jumping off buildings so why not me too!
You just want to give up.
The "fat thing" is an issue of personal responsibility. The government fining a school district for selling a soda in the cafeteria INSTEAD of the hallway is not going to do jack sheet to fat porkers. It's beyond stupid and anyone who defends it is more lost than Dr. Smith.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2012, 06:26 PM

45,396 posts, read 60,575,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gallowsCalibrator View Post
I've read about this incident on numerous sites, yet none of them mention the actual law that the school broke. They give the jist of it "turn off soda machines during lunch", but I'd like to read the actual law in place.
Not going to look for the USDA reg but it deals with the FARM program. Schools that have students receiving Free And Reduced Meals are not permitted to have competing vending machines in operation during times when meals are served. It's supported by definitions of competing and vending. That's not the only school that has gotten bitten by the reg. Usually the fine is not direct but a deduction from the school system's lunch subsidy.

Usually the fines are only levied after a series of warnings being issued.

Old 05-17-2012, 06:46 PM

1,438 posts, read 1,146,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
Well, since the parents aren't at school, isn't it a logical progression of thought to have the grown-ups that are there at school deciding whats what?
Otherwise, the lunatics would be running the asylum, so to speak.
I agree. But where do they get off telling us that we can't get fat (which by the way won't happen just by soda, I'd have more respect for these people if they would get rid of the soda and candy and ice cream and all the other crap if they really want to stand by their health food kick), but that we can have as much sex as we want? I just don't think that's right. -shrugs-
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
So it's ok to hand out condoms to them but not let them drink soda ????

We are a nation of IDIOTS ! And then we wonder why our kids are screwed up.
Spot on!

Old 05-17-2012, 07:06 PM

23,416 posts, read 37,001,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personwhoisaperson View Post
I agree. But where do they get off telling us that we can't get fat (which by the way won't happen just by soda, I'd have more respect for these people if they would get rid of the soda and candy and ice cream and all the other crap if they really want to stand by their health food kick), but that we can have as much sex as we want? I just don't think that's right. -shrugs-
Honestly, there were holes so big in that story one could drive a Mack truck through them.
Bad piece of journalism, too much unsubstantiated stuff in it.
I dont think ANY of the stuff you mentioned in your post should be sold at school, to tell you the truth.....but you know my thoughts on that one.

Old 05-17-2012, 07:31 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Not going to look for the USDA reg but it deals with the FARM program. Schools that have students receiving Free And Reduced Meals are not permitted to have competing vending machines in operation during times when meals are served. It's supported by definitions of competing and vending. That's not the only school that has gotten bitten by the reg. Usually the fine is not direct but a deduction from the school system's lunch subsidy.

Usually the fines are only levied after a series of warnings being issued.
So $15k for "accidently" selling sodas at lunch probably isn't the whole story. I still can't find anything on this except for the usually blogs and stuff and, of course, Fox news.

Old 05-17-2012, 07:36 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,198,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personwhoisaperson View Post

why are the feds even getting involved, this is a local issue or a state issue at max. the feds should not even show up to the school.

Old 05-17-2012, 08:38 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,005,733 times
FDA runs the school lunch program. Any government program has multiple agencies and layers of bureaucracy to ensure it's a complete and total disaster and insanity rules.

Old 05-17-2012, 11:19 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,008,825 times
Perhaps the students of the high school can raise $15,000 for the purpose of paying the fine by selling...soda.

Old 05-17-2012, 11:47 PM

2,548 posts, read 2,163,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Lol at posters who cant discuss the thread, but rather use it as a reason to spout out their hate against Beck..

Davis High School pays big fine for vending machine violations - ABC4.com - Salt Lake City, Utah News
LOL at posters who didn't bother to read the link. Non story, if the school wants to receive money under the federal nutrition funding, they can't sell candy or soda. Seems fair enough

Quote:
Vending machines in the hallways at Davis High School normally sell carbonated beverages and candy, but to receive federal nutrition funding, they can't sell it during lunch.

Old 05-18-2012, 01:22 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,198,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Aren't you homeschooled?
Who is telling you what you can/can't do? Mommy and daddy.

No, you're not dreaming up problems, you let Beck do it for you.
Try thinking on your own; it's what grown-ups do.

I homeschool my daughter. I sure as heck dont subscribe to the democrat or republican mantra. I sure as heck dont follow fed guidelines either.
if public schools actually taught in schools instead of being so politically correct, i might actually send my child back to public school, but I highly doubt it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies