Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2012, 03:05 PM

12,906 posts, read 15,670,834 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
Your kids didn't get to vote in 2008 but if they had they would have been taken in by the Obama promises of the campaign. Here are some words about his acceptance speech in Colorado in 2008. Notice what it says about promise and try to remember just what he was saying. I remember that speech because I wanted to know what he said.

In his "American Promise" speech in Denver on August 27, 2008, Obama promised an America beyond the "broken politics in Washington and the failed policies of George W. Bush." He used the word "promise" 32 times, so this time he must have really meant it – or, maybe he just thought we didn't hear it the other 31 times.

Right out of that link these words come. I did remember that he used that word way too many times but never did count the times he said promise in his American Promise speech.
I don't believe ONE promise from any politician and have taught my kids not to either. Heck, I learned that in high school when the class president elections were on. Longer lunch periods...yeah, right.

I am not thrilled with the economy now at all, but I think it is better than it was. Frankly, the current GOP and their strangehold by the religious right, and the defense industrial complex (dems included on that one too) scare the crap out of me and I do NOT think they have the middle class interests at heart not one iota.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2012, 03:11 PM

12,282 posts, read 13,251,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
I agree about the trades school. My husband is an electrician and spent 5 years in trade school. Worked out very well.

Not sure what "trades" there are for my daughter. She's not much of a welder, steamfitter, or electrical type. We checked out the "hairstyling" school. I guess that's a job. That cost was $16,000 for the year so she's in college attempting to get a 4 year degree so she can at least get a call back for an admin position. She can't get that right now without one.

My son is very good in math so he will be pursuing either an engineering career or acounting. I would have no objections to him going into a trade if he wants it. However, most of the trade work is pretty backbreaking and many need to retire in their 50s. That's really good because right now those people have union protections that allow for that. If that ever goes away, those tradesmen(women) with physical jobs are going to have a rough time of it.
Learn a foreign language or be a sign language interpreter. Large companies are required to have a sign language interpreter. Social Security pays $70 per hr to the contract sign language interpreters they use. Language interpreters earn about $35 per hr.

Old 05-17-2012, 03:57 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,772,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy
Somebody promised to have this economy taken care of in his first term ....
When you're basing it on cooked books by the then current administration and cover ups at the banking levels. Then you will make promises based on that information. Add to that during the July 4th week (2008) we peaked at a national gas average of $4.17/g. There was no going back and there was no un-doing what was said in less than 90 days.

Quote:
The age group that gave Obama the most support in 2008...........
No one expected the economy to crash so hard when all the truth came out. While they were in school none of them knew of the massive outsourcing of jobs. Schools had to make money, so you know they are not going to allow any neqative information to make it to their students. Those of out there working know too well about outsourcing. Those of us in Technology were watching outsourcing take its toll on American jobs and could do nothing about it. All the major news networks are owned by corporations that censor information.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA

My daughter graduates college in 2014. My son in 2018..... I'm betting they'll be lucky to get a barista job at Starbucks.

The only safe career path for them is something medical connected.

The military isn't even a safe bet anymore. My godson who spent eight years in the Marines is being discharged tomorrow because they won't allow him to transfer to a different area. Since he was injured in Iraq and his arm can't hold a rifle anymore (sharpshooter) they consider him worthless. So does this mean he now gets two years of unemployment?

Old 05-17-2012, 04:44 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,294,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
I don't believe ONE promise from any politician and have taught my kids not to either. Heck, I learned that in high school when the class president elections were on. Longer lunch periods...yeah, right.

I am not thrilled with the economy now at all, but I think it is better than it was. Frankly, the current GOP and their strangehold by the religious right, and the defense industrial complex (dems included on that one too) scare the crap out of me and I do NOT think they have the middle class interests at heart not one iota.
Did you want to mention the 32 times Obama said the word promise in that speech in Colorado in 2008? How many times can one make a promise in one one hour speech?

Old 05-17-2012, 04:45 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,294,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
Learn a foreign language or be a sign language interpreter. Large companies are required to have a sign language interpreter. Social Security pays $70 per hr to the contract sign language interpreters they use. Language interpreters earn about $35 per hr.
What if you are missing the index finger on your right hand? There went that $70 per hour.

Old 05-17-2012, 04:48 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,829,632 times
Quote:
The age group that gave Obama the most support in 2008, 18- 29, has taken it on the chin since he has been in office. They were for him 63:31 back then but now have come to see that his promises may have been aimed at winning votes and not seriously made, after all. According to his economists the recession has been over for nearly 3 years and, yet, the people in that age group continue to see fewer and fewer jobs for them.

According to newly released research by the John J. Heldrich Center for Workforce Development at Rutgers University, only 49% of college graduates from the classes of 2009-2010-and 2011 had found a full-time job within a year of graduation, compared with 73% for students who graduated in the prior three years. Meanwhile, the cost of that college degree for the job they can't find continues to increase. Average student loan debt for the class of 2010 (the latest available data) was $25,250; a 5% increase over 2009.

***Obama ravaged the economic record of his predecessor pointing out that during Bill Clinton's two terms in office, "the average American family saw its income go up $7,500 instead of down $2,000 like it has under George Bush." But, under Obama first 39 months, median household income has declined $4.300 - $2,900 since June 2009 when the recovery supposedly began.***

Hopeless Change: Young Americans getting the worst of Obama's Economy - Bob Beauprez - Townhall Finance Conservative Columnists and Financial Commentary
The funny thing is we'll probably STILL see plenty of young Obama suckers this fall too. All you have to do is believe, after all... and today's youth were not taught how to think objectively.

Old 05-17-2012, 04:59 PM

10,190 posts, read 7,961,338 times
Hopeless change -- Young Americans getting the worst of Obamas economy .

They are the ones that helped elect Obummer. I hope they are enjoying the change.

Old 05-17-2012, 07:57 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,456,740 times
Quote:
Somebody promised to have this economy taken care of in his first term or he would get out, and I think that very man is trying to get re-elected. His promises were something and many of us knew they were only promises to gain votes but those Hope and Change young people of 2008 are ready to see him come through on some of those changes.

Did you read any of the quotes I put right out there in the open?

You got that right, and we taped Obama promising all this in 2008 such lies. He also promised within the first 6 months of his presidency, our first troops would be coming home. He promised not to spend as the last President had, and would seek approval before any move was made.
Got those stupid damn tapes still, in the attic, with the rest of the junk.
He promised when the the next election came around, if the economy was not taken care of, he should only be thought of as a 1 term President. Oh really now.
Bloogna to one poster. I knew not one person in 2008 who lost a job or their pride and joy their home. No lie not one.
Wham Bam,thanks Obama. Since he has been in office 19 hard working families i know of thruout the US have lost jobs since Obama has been in office no lie. Good college educations there too, with jobs of some for over 20 years. They made good pay, had great benefits, and one mintue your working, the next your gone, what would you do.
Figure it out it can happen just as fast too any of you.
Democrats i know who put their faith and hope in Obama the first tme around, and waited and waited, and waited, for change, are still waiting.
As they said, with a lost job, and for those who lost their job and a home, they will not be moving forward ahead with Obama, this time around.
TO EACHES OWN!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies