Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2012, 07:03 AM

11,466 posts, read 19,353,683 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
Not everything is as black and white as you assume. 1 in 4500 births has ambiguous genitalia.

Medscape: Medscape Access
people are born male or female. some born with a birth defect other than that it's all in their head, a mental condition.

Old 06-01-2012, 07:05 AM

10,449 posts, read 12,464,091 times
What is intersex? | Intersex Society of North America

Old 06-01-2012, 10:24 PM

1,915 posts, read 3,487,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
In addition to watching a few documentaries, I've actually MET and interacted with many transgendered people around here... and in reality, most of them seem fairly open about who they are.

Do you generally base your opinions on what you've seen on television?
What would you be basing your opinion on had you never met and interacted with the "many transgendered" you say you have?

Where do you live that you get to do so? They just don't show up in my life (not yet, at least), and I'm not going to seek them out, I don't have the time. Kinda busy.

Hey - it's no different than people who base their opinions on what they read in the news and armchair know-it-all folks who drool while listening to what any sitting POTUS says is THE TRUTH...what NPR says is the truth/Fox News says is the truth....live and learn, right? Until you do: shut up? Is that how it works?

Well, when I meet a transgendered person, and he/she tells me him/her self that he/she was ALWAYS open, from day one, about what they were/are going through, and with those who they get themselves romantically involved in (even on that FIRST date) ...that will be one.

Until then, it IS what I see on TV.

Old 06-01-2012, 10:50 PM

1,350 posts, read 2,300,744 times
Ohh Transgendered people should disclose to you their past from day one? My life isn't about YOU.
And my sex on my birth cert. isn't T...its none of your business, just like everything you've gone through in your past isn't any of my business.

Old 06-01-2012, 10:59 PM

30,357 posts, read 51,950,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyG View Post
What would you be basing your opinion on had you never met and interacted with the "many transgendered" you say you have?
Most likely studies produced by reliable sources, which I would read either in print or online... I'm a reference librarian, so I have a plethora of reliable sources at my fingertips. LOL

That's not to say I never get any information from television, but if I'm going to pass judgments on a whole group, I'll at least try to do a little practical research first.

Quote:
Where do you live that you get to do so? They just don't show up in my life (not yet, at least), and I'm not going to seek them out, I don't have the time. Kinda busy.
San Francisco Bay Area - the city of SF itself for about 5 years, and the Peninsula for almost 20 years. Where else??

Pretty busy myself, I've just encountered my share from living in the Bay Area for so long... I also work with the public, and have become friendly with some TG patrons along the way. One of my favorite former patrons was a m2f transsexual, who would actually switch off between dressing as male or female. She told me she preferred identifying and dressing as a woman, but had to occasionally give her skin a break from the daily shaving/primping. And trust me, even while dressed in women's clothing, a blind person would know she wasn't born female - not that she tried to "pass," in fact she was open and proud of who she was.

P.S. Interesting side-note, she was an honorably retired Naval officer.

Quote:
Hey - it's no different than people who base their opinions on what they read in the news and armchair know-it-all folks who drool while listening to what any sitting POTUS says is THE TRUTH...what NPR says is the truth/Fox News says is the truth....live and learn, right? Until you do: shut up? Is that how it works?

Well, when I meet a transgendered person, and he/she tells me him/her self that he/she was ALWAYS open, from day one, about what they were/are going through, and with those who they get themselves romantically involved in (even on that FIRST date) ...that will be one.

Until then, it IS what I see on TV.
Fair enough, but I still think personal experiences/observations and in-depth research should trump watching a few documentaries. And for the record, I don't believe half of what any politician says. What's that old saying, "A gaffe is when a politician tells the truth?" I also don't follow news-only sources like FOX News, MSNBC, NPR, etc. They're all biased to some degree, and I don't like having the news spoon-fed to me like that.

Last edited by gizmo980; 06-01-2012 at 11:25 PM..

Old 06-01-2012, 11:31 PM

8,091 posts, read 5,912,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prytania View Post
Ohh Transgendered people should disclose to you their past from day one? My life isn't about YOU.
And my sex on my birth cert. isn't T...its none of your business, just like everything you've gone through in your past isn't any of my business.
Really stupid logic.......because it isn't your "past". You are STILL a man/woman no matter how much you hack yourself up.

Old 06-01-2012, 11:38 PM

3,614 posts, read 3,503,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Handz View Post
Really stupid logic.......because it isn't your "past". You are STILL a man/woman no matter how much you hack yourself up.
Would you be willing to present yourself to science to support this claim? We can dose you up with hormones, perform re-sex surgery, and buy you a whole new wardrobe.

Old 06-01-2012, 11:50 PM

8,091 posts, read 5,912,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Konraden View Post
Would you be willing to present yourself to science to support this claim? We can dose you up with hormones, perform re-sex surgery, and buy you a whole new wardrobe.
And biology still said you were a man/woman from day 1.

Old 06-02-2012, 01:22 AM

664 posts, read 773,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Konraden View Post
and your sex chromisomes will not have changed. no matter what you do to the outside, you are biologically still the same sex you were born with. Sorry, science is not capable of switching someone from a XX to a XY and vice versa.

Old 06-02-2012, 08:02 AM

3,006 posts, read 3,871,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
It isn't primitive per se. I suspected as much because up until most recently, men who underwent sexual reassignment looked like men who went under a sexual reassignment, despite the efforts with hormone therapy and breast implants. The pageant contestant looks very much like a natural, albeit very tall woman.

I don't think you run any real risk of ever encountering a woman who was born with male genitalia through the course of your life. Chances are if you ever did, you are not her type anyway.
Not rich enough probably.

Last edited by archineer; 06-02-2012 at 08:24 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies