Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2013, 08:43 AM

3,620 posts, read 3,836,772 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
What can I tell you? If you don't like that cop don't invite him to your house for a halloween party. The point is that what he did although tacky, was done on his own time. He harmed no one other than himself. There are far worse things cops are doing that actually does deserve outrage.
cops are always on the clock. you cant have idiots running around like that who are not capable of making simple decisions like maybe this isnt a good idea, i'll dress like something else.

this man also has to deal with black drivers, and it opens it up rightfully to how he has dealed with black drivers in the past.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2013, 08:55 AM

20,300 posts, read 22,224,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtc08 View Post
cops are always on the clock. you cant have idiots running around like that who are not capable of making simple decisions like maybe this isnt a good idea, i'll dress like something else.

this man also has to deal with black drivers, and it opens it up rightfully to how he has dealed with black drivers in the past.
Always on the clock to a point. He is tacky and has no clue of cool. Many cops I know are pretty lame. You are assuming that he did the blackface thing as a racist taunt and maybe he did. I don't know what his intent was.
Now if he is on the job making racist comments, singling out black people or abusing his authority then I agree he is 100% a problem.
I am not defending his bad taste, but I am saying we have cops doing far worse.
Should he be fired? I leave that for his community to decide.

Old 11-15-2013, 08:56 AM

73,020 posts, read 62,622,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
The most intolerant people I have ever seen or heard of are those who preach "tolerance" the loudest!
It is a COSTUME, people, get over it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix C View Post
Agreed. Sensitivity in children or females I understand. But in males!! Brave new world of alpha females and betta males.
This "tough guy" act isn't going to work. It isn't going to change the history of "Blackface". Just a costume? Either a history lesson is needed, or there is an attempt to sympathize with something so vile and disgusting.

This is not just a costume. It is known that "Blackface" is offensive and that it was used to dehumanize Black people. Knowing that, why would you sympathize with something so disturbing? Why would a person want to dress up in Blackface? There has so be some thought processes that go into that. No one does that for nothing.

And by the way, the questions I asked, these are not rhetorical questions. I require answers, straight answers. No answering a question with a question. Just a straight answer. And these are my questions once again.

1)Knowing the history behind Blackface, why would a person sympathize with someone who dresses up in Blackface?
2)Why would a person want to dress up in Blackface?

Old 11-15-2013, 09:01 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,634,918 times
White girls can't jump..... What's the difference? The Wayan brothers didn't get hate mail and death threats.

Old 11-15-2013, 09:06 AM

7,006 posts, read 6,995,315 times
I think the real problem nowadays is that people who are looking to be offended about something will find ANYTHING to get offended about.

And, they need to learn the difference between black make-up and "blackface".

Julianne Hough's Halloween costume wasn't anywhere close to being Al-Jolson-blackface, it was poorly done makeup as a black character from a cable show. Big difference.

This kind of nonsense offends ME-
Kid sent home from school for honoring Dr. Martin Luther King

So, a white kid who admires MLK can't dress up as him to HONOR him because some ignorant racists are still stuck in 1910 and think black makeup is exactly the same thing as minstrel "blackface". What kind of message are we really sending?

Here's a black man with common sense-

'People are too hyper-sensitive': Member of Jamaican bobsled team calls coach to say he was FLATTERED by blackface Cool Runnings costume

Old 11-15-2013, 09:30 AM

8,560 posts, read 6,409,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
Maybe I am just young and well not that bothered by too many things but as someone born in 1982 and raised up in the 90's how is blackface or whiteface racist? A couple of years ago someone told me about how having white kids dress up as a blackman or woman for Halloween is racist and then I asked how and why would someone be offended if I went as Charles Barkley and painted my face black? Maybe it's because I grew up in the inner city or my biggest childhood stars were Snoop and Jordan and I loved Hip-hop. I just don't see it. If a black kid wanted to dress up as George Bush and painted his face white what's the problem? George Bush is white right? am I missing something. If anything it would make the outfit more accurate? Some people wake up every morning thinking what can I protest or get offended about today. Black people are black well actually most of them their skin tone is more brown in than anything so I don't know why we call them black?, brown people would be more accurate but we call Hispanics brown. Which brings me to this story Mom is shocked her son's MLK blackface costume is offensive. I can already tell the bias in this newspaper reporter. From what I read from other articles the kids were asked to dress up like certain people and this kid was given Dr.King so he went a step "too far" and painted his face black but Dr.King was black so what's the problem? Oh it was it illustrates and the history of it you wouldn't understand or maybe the 2nd grader saw the obvious and said Dr.King is black and if I am going to dress up like him I have to dress up like him. People need to stop being offended! I better not paint my face white with red eye circles and red lips that would be racist towards clowns and then I would have to apologize to every clown in the world that I actually love clowns and some of my best friends are clowns and I even listen to clown music and eat at clown restaurants.

Signed, rarely offended and live a lot happier life because of it!
That fact you have to ask that question seems to indicate that you have never studied American history much. And I'm talking about the not to distant past history, for example, the 1950s and 1960s in this country. You should google some topics like the Civil Rights Act, and Rosewood, FL, and the Dixiecrats, etc., etc., etc. Seriously. To understand the "why" in your question you need to do some studying of American history, even if you just start after the Civil War. Have you ever even heard of Jim Crow laws, and do you know when they were ended?

Old 11-15-2013, 09:38 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,114,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
Maybe I am just young and well not that bothered by too many things but as someone born in 1982 and raised up in the 90's how is blackface or whiteface racist? A couple of years ago someone told me about how having white kids dress up as a blackman or woman for Halloween is racist and then I asked how and why would someone be offended if I went as Charles Barkley and painted my face black? Maybe it's because I grew up in the inner city or my biggest childhood stars were Snoop and Jordan and I loved Hip-hop. I just don't see it. If a black kid wanted to dress up as George Bush and painted his face white what's the problem? George Bush is white right? am I missing something. If anything it would make the outfit more accurate? Some people wake up every morning thinking what can I protest or get offended about today. Black people are black well actually most of them their skin tone is more brown in than anything so I don't know why we call them black?, brown people would be more accurate but we call Hispanics brown. Which brings me to this story Mom is shocked her son's MLK blackface costume is offensive. I can already tell the bias in this newspaper reporter. From what I read from other articles the kids were asked to dress up like certain people and this kid was given Dr.King so he went a step "too far" and painted his face black but Dr.King was black so what's the problem? Oh it was it illustrates and the history of it you wouldn't understand or maybe the 2nd grader saw the obvious and said Dr.King is black and if I am going to dress up like him I have to dress up like him. People need to stop being offended! I better not paint my face white with red eye circles and red lips that would be racist towards clowns and then I would have to apologize to every clown in the world that I actually love clowns and some of my best friends are clowns and I even listen to clown music and eat at clown restaurants.

Signed, rarely offended and live a lot happier life because of it!

You really need to expand your horizons. Seriously.

Old 11-15-2013, 09:44 AM

519 posts, read 1,023,939 times
You do not owe a debt on the transgression of long dead people that took place before you ever existed. Dress up as whatever and whoever you want, you're free to put what you choose on your body.

Old 11-15-2013, 09:57 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,884,155 times
I think there's a difference between putting on makeup, wigs, certain clothes in order to depict a specific person, and doing the same thing to depict a race. For instance, if I put on a Marilyn Monroe costume, I'm certainly going to wear a blonde wig, and try to imitate Marilyn. It's not meant derogatorily. But if I put on a blonde wig, and I try to behave like a "typical" blonde woman, chances are that I'm putting down blondes. When we try to stereotype any demographic group, people in that demographic group find it insulting. Blackface has generally been used to stereotype a demographic group. And so many people find it offensive. I don't think a boy trying to dress up as a sports hero is meant to stereotype anyone, but at the same time, people just seeing the boy may not understand what the boy's intent is. In essence, there is a stereotype about blackface and the motive behind a white person putting on a blackface. And that stereotype involves racism. It's unfortunate, but there it is.

Old 11-15-2013, 09:58 AM

13,778 posts, read 9,664,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lerner View Post
You do not owe a debt on the transgression of long dead people that took place before you ever existed. Dress up as whatever and whoever you want, you're free to put what you choose on your body.
True, true. It is not illegal. I suggest you dress up in blackface and talk like the white guys who played Amos and Andy on the radio and go walking around inner city Detroit or South side Chicago. I'm sure the locals will roll on the ground laughing and high five the crap out of you because of your innocent, well mannered humor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies