Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2012, 07:24 AM

10,449 posts, read 12,476,890 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymax View Post
It's a rare opportunity I suppose.

Perhaps it's just different because news stories about straight people doing something criminal or despicable happen every minute of every day?
It's very frustrating, but it's the burden of being a minority. When you're a minority, your actions speak for the entire group. The majority will always judge your entire demographic based on your personal behaviors. The only way to convince the majority that you are worthy of respect is by doing it 10x better, 100% of the time, and then in that case you are just an exception. You either fit the mold and perpetuate stereotypes, or you're this amazing exceptional person who "isn't like all the other [members of your group]". If you're lesbian and you like cars, all lesbians like cars. If you're lesbian and you commit a crime, all lesbians are criminals. If you're trans and a prostitute, all trans people are prostitutes. If you're Black and you've never commit a crime, but your uncle is in jail for stealing, all Black people are thieves. If you're blind and you live on government benefits, all blind people are living on government benefits. If you're Black and homophobic, all Black people are homophobic. If you're gay and racist, all gay people are racist. Whoever you vote for becomes the number one candidate and voting choice for all members of your group.

I call it "Spokesperson Syndrome". It's an unfortunate fact, but it is nevertheless very real. These women, if they did commit this crime, were not taking into account that the lesbian community is still held to the Spokesperson Syndrome Standard. They shouldn't have to, and nor should anyone else, but when we do ignore this fact, we do make it harder for other members of whatever minority demographic we happen to fall into. It's part of the overall dynamics of oppression and I've noticed it's something we can either use to hurt us, or help us--by either doing things that will cause the majority to cast down our entire demographic, or impressing the majority, who will then possibly give other members of our demographic the chance that we proved to them we deserve.

From what I've noticed, the only way to beat the game is to play the game. Basically the only important aspect of your whole identity is your minority status (lesbian, Black, whatever) until you manage to create something for yourself that is even more notable--and even then, you will never be able to completely erase the fact that many people will still see you as lesbian/trans/Black/disabled/[insert minority] first. For example, Oprah, Ellen Degeneres, and Stevie Wonder have become successful enough that they're finally known for something other than their minority status, but many people still continue to see them as Black and lesbian and blind. Maybe it's not the first thing people think of anymore, but it's often the second. It's definitely not completely gone from the equation either in the way it is for most famous white straight people.

Last edited by nimchimpsky; 05-20-2012 at 07:38 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2012, 07:25 AM

3,236 posts, read 3,944,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
So the boy who cried wolf scenario already coming into play by the militant gay army.

"A lesbian couple who claimed they were victims of a hate crime have been arrested after police determined they staged the incidents. On Oct. 28, Aimee Whitchurch, 37, and Christel Conklin, 29, called police and reported the words "Kill the Gay" were scrawled in red spray paint on the garage door of their Parker, Colo., home.
The next day, the couple told deputies they found a noose hanging on the handle of their front door.
The women told officers they believed the incidents were retaliation from their neighbors and homeowner's association, who had complained the couple did not pick up after their dogs.
Due to the nature of the crimes, the Douglas County Sheriff's Office worked in tandem with the FBI to investigate. After reviewing witness statements, authorities determined Whitchurch and Conklin had staged the incidents."

Every lesbian is the same in your mind? Kim Jong Il murders people so

Nice touch with the noose trying to inject a little racism into the mix. What do the militant gay couple say............

"This is a fight I started. This is a fight I'm going to finish. This is a fight I'm right on," she said. "I have every right to live where I want to live."

As I'm sure the neighbors agree. Just pick up your damn dog poop you filthy slobs.

Lesbian Couple Charged With Staging Hate Crime | ABC News Blogs - Yahoo! News
Every lesbian is the same in your mind and some bad eggs commiting a crime means the millions of gays around the world are responsible? A rednecky white guy urinated on my lawn last night, I demand you apologize to me on his behalf since by your logic, you are the same as anyone who superficially resembles you

Old 05-20-2012, 11:23 AM

19,893 posts, read 18,468,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
Dear Ms. Whitchurch and Ms. Conklin,

Thank you for making it ten times harder for the rest of us. Now when real hate crimes happen to gay folks facing real discrimination, the rest of the world will look at us suspiciously, wondering if those crimes were staged as well. I realize this may not have been your intention, but maybe you could have come up with a different way of retaliating, which wouldn't involve making things worse for your own demographic.

Sincerely,

A fellow lesbian
You know what, very good valid points. Thank you on behalf of my best friend of over 20 years who is gay. Would never in a million years do something as stupid as these women have.
I don't think they thought at all, before pulling their little stunt. Your points are very well taken, now when a crime against some gay folks, are to really happen, will people or the police look the other way.
That is who this is going to hurt. Their intentions or not, pulling stuff like this, will hurt someone maybe in a time of need. People have got to be responsible for their actions, that can hurt others, i don't care about the gender, what political party you belong to, what race you are, what relgion you are, if your gay or straight. Does not matter.
These stunts cost to investigate, and it is wrong no matter who is doing them. This case happens to be two non thinking lesbians.
They lied, and what part of this is not considered wrong.

Old 05-20-2012, 02:20 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,039,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhenomenalAJ View Post
Every lesbian is the same in your mind and some bad eggs commiting a crime means the millions of gays around the world are responsible? A rednecky white guy urinated on my lawn last night, I demand you apologize to me on his behalf since by your logic, you are the same as anyone who superficially resembles you
The redneck white guy isn't running around crying for some "right" he thinks he deserves because he pisses on folks yards.

Old 05-20-2012, 02:24 PM

3,335 posts, read 2,990,440 times
Quote:
The redneck white guy isn't running around crying for some "right" he thinks he deserves because he pisses on folks yards.
Or blaming some Gay was pissing on his yard, when it was really him.

Old 05-20-2012, 02:28 PM

Or some gay guy pissing on a dog who pooped in a straight guy's yard. Man what the hell is going on in that neighborhood? lol

Old 05-20-2012, 02:51 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,317,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhenomenalAJ View Post
How was your criminal dressed since you say he was red becky?

Old 05-20-2012, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
How was your criminal dressed since you say he was red becky?
Redneckphobia is only known in the Human Species.

Old 05-20-2012, 03:25 PM

Redneckphobia. lol. Now we got another one. Hard to keep up on all the phobe's. Too many of em nowdays.

Old 05-20-2012, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Redneckphobia. lol. Now we got another one. Hard to keep up on all the phobe's. Too many of em nowdays.
Pfizer is working on a therapy drug for it. The side effects are homosexuality, and a desire to cross dress, so their trying to adapt it to be less controversial.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies