Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2012, 11:05 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,464,090 times

Advertisements

Va. voters will have to show ID at polls | Richmond Times-Dispatch

Governor McDonnell has signed voter ID legislation in Virginia.

The law doesn't even require photo ID.

Anti-voter ID crowd, please tell me why you are so opposed to even the simplest measures to prevent voter fraud.

Last edited by afoigrokerkok; 05-19-2012 at 11:37 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2012, 08:49 AM

290 posts, read 176,286 times
Good. Here in Ga we have to show ID as well. I think its a great idea. Makes me feel safer that maybe we won't allow non citizens to vote.

Old 05-20-2012, 09:09 AM

3,236 posts, read 3,938,592 times
I don't think that's bad. The ones where voter ID must be a government issued ID are an unconstitutional poll tax intended to keep blacks out of the polls are the ones that are high tech Jim Crow.

Old 05-20-2012, 09:28 AM

1,922 posts, read 1,745,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhenomenalAJ View Post
I don't think that's bad. The ones where voter ID must be a government issued ID are an unconstitutional poll tax intended to keep blacks out of the polls are the ones that are high tech Jim Crow.
Pure nonsesnse!

Old 05-20-2012, 09:29 AM

7,783 posts, read 6,087,442 times
Quote:
It is not a tax if the ID is supplied free of charge. If the voter has to go somewhere to get it and can't, then how does he or she get to the polls to vote? Show me one state where it would be more difficult to get the ID, than it would be to vote in the first place.

Old 05-20-2012, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Drugs are bad.

FYI - they've been ruled constitutional by the US Supreme Court as long as the ID is available for free. Crawford vs. Marion County Election Board

Old 05-20-2012, 09:31 AM

11,345 posts, read 16,708,690 times
Listen, we need a photo ID for just about anything we want to do. Showing one to allow you to vote shouldn't be any different.

Old 05-20-2012, 09:37 AM

3,236 posts, read 3,938,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
Drugs are bad.

FYI - they've been ruled constitutional by the US Supreme Court as long as the ID is available for free. Crawford vs. Marion County Election Board
Yea homey photo IDs are suddenly free all over the US, hello Mcfly (knocks on head). Even just getting a government issued ID requires a fee, I had one before I drove and they didn't just hand it out. Plus the transportation and the time to wait in the MVA lines to get one. I'm sure you will hypocritically call the MVA the epitome of bueracratic efficiency but most of us whose butlers don't go there will tell you differently

Old 05-20-2012, 09:41 AM

59,053 posts, read 27,318,346 times
Quote:
You made the claim, now back it up!

Old 05-20-2012, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Yea homey photo IDs are suddenly free all over the US, hello Mcfly (knocks on head). Even just getting a government issued ID requires a fee, I had one before I drove and they didn't just hand it out. Plus the transportation and the time to wait in the MVA lines to get one. I'm sure you will hypocritically call the MVA the epitome of bueracratic efficiency but most of us whose butlers don't go there will tell you differently
Uhhh....I don't have a butler. My experiences getting my driver's license renewed have actually been pretty good. As long as you go to the DPS office first thing in the morning, you can get out within 10 minutes. And we can also renew our licenses online or by mail a lot of the time. I understand it's not as easy in some other states but, really, it's not that hard.

As far as fees, in the states with voter ID laws, the Legislatures have either eliminated the fee for state ID cards (non-driver's ID's) or waived them if someone wants one just to vote.

Last edited by afoigrokerkok; 05-20-2012 at 10:00 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies