Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2012, 12:12 PM

102,213 posts, read 107,931,771 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Fairfaxian View Post
This is one of the reasons I want to go into IT as a career path (granted the biggest reasons are my interest in mathematics and the growing IT field). And truth be told, a black person who has a CompSci degree would probably be such a novelty that he (or especially a she) would never be out of a job, and promotion in the IT field would be based more on performance than favoritism.
I've met a number of AA techies, most of them women. They love their jobs, needless to say they have job security, they're all Gen Y people. It's really encouraging to see how this talent is being snapped up by a wide variety of companies (one worked for a stock brokerage) with no regard to race. Talent is talent. This trend gives me hope for the future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2012, 12:13 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,394,292 times
I think region more then age has to do with racism. In North Carolina there are parts of the state where people of all generational groups are much more likely to be openly racist and parts of the state where overall there is less open racism. As to Homophobia Gen Y is by far the least homophobic generation there has been.

Old 05-28-2012, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Noted. I finally heard what the video said. I can see why the girls were made to apologize. They were making fun of Black people. Some say "well, they were saying what is politically incorrect". Well, all I saw was hatred coming from these girls. I saw nothing but callousness. No concern, no kind of idea to solve problems, just a hate fest. One of the girls said that the majority of Black people are on welfare. Well, there are 4 million Blacks on welfare and 10 million Whites on welfare.
One incident doth not an entire generation condemn.

Old 05-29-2012, 03:51 AM

230 posts, read 526,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Fairfaxian View Post
From the experiences I've had with Gen-Y transplants from the Midwest, I can believe that. The only places in the Midwest where I would guess the majority are genuinely not racist (overtly nor covertly) are Columbus and Minneapolis, with the wild cards being Indianapolis and Madison, WI.
I can vouch for columbus, oh not being racist in the sense that I think people generally integrate more there. I grew up in columbus and I remember having friends of different backgrounds. One thing that I've noticed about a lot of the ppl I've been around lately is that some people are only into their own culture. Like they will only watch movies, tv shows, listen to music that their culture presents. Columbus wasn't that diverse (mostly just blacks and whites, with very small sprinkles of others), but most of the people I talked to, everybody was into different things, not just what was represented by their culture.

Old 05-29-2012, 05:05 AM

10,854 posts, read 9,303,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
Obama is not a true black president. He is half white and was raised in an all white family. His father left and his white grandparents were a big part of Obama's life. If anyone could be called not black enough it would be Obama.
Oh, so we have YOU as the official standard bearer for who's "Black Enough". Do you hand out T-Shirts and ID cards to those you deem worthy.

Old 05-29-2012, 05:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
Oh, so we have YOU as the official standard bearer for who's "Black Enough". Do you hand out T-Shirts and ID cards to those you deem worthy.
I think it means she would prefer a 100% Black president.

Old 05-29-2012, 06:57 AM

11,155 posts, read 29,323,086 times
Gen Y will have to wait as the baby Boomer will retire and well Gen X has fought in 2 major wars and still fighting in afganistan atleast till 2014..

Rambo: First Blood Ending - YouTube
Gen Y is just entering the world and well I would say people that served in Iraq and Afganistan who get their benifits cut back and do not get the respect and thanks they deserve... Since alot of vets no have to get back inot civillian life and it is very hard and they need to have support since some did 3-4 tours if not more and they earned the right to say something and ask for things the Govronment promised them and owes them.

I mean CNN did a story on wounded vets and to hear that they are losing even basic care and places are closing that help them out and in their recovery add in the bad economy and the fact that they get less coverage in the press than something Kim Kardashian posts on twitter is pretty messed up.

Gen Y still needs to go live life and then come back in 10-15 years of life in the Real world outside on their own.... Because the way you see things at 19-20 is not how you see the world at 30 or 40 and Gen Y will have to step up and accept times are tough and do the best with it and protestors that smash store windows and trash the city at all these protests are hurting smal business and well maybe they forgot that it is our tax dollers have to be spent to fix the damage caused.

Also if the protestors want to smash a car on the street then smash your car with a crow bar since it effects insurance rates and some people have a family and hard to take your kids to school and go to work when all the windows and headlights are smashed out and the hood and doors all dented..I am all for kids working and buying their own car and when you have to pay for it then you can break the windows and make your own custom body work with a large Cinder block or rock thrown at the door.. I mean hey be free and start a new car tend trend just not on other peoples cars.

Old 05-29-2012, 08:03 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,068,476 times
I can't speak for America, since I only visited, but I see where you're coming from. Maybe you're just projecting your frustrations as well? I do still see many like making a bit deal about their race - actually if anything it's more like Asians always talking about Asian things, being Asian, all that crap, rather than being racist. I myself try to be as race-blind as possible. Even in the past 20 years though I've noticed racism is less acceptable. As a kid I was called unpleasant names...this is less tolerated these days.

I might come back to read the rest of this thread, just my two cents for now.

Old 05-29-2012, 08:38 AM

73,031 posts, read 62,622,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
One incident doth not an entire generation condemn.
Not the whole generation. I was saying that the video is indicative of the reality that racial prejudice still exists among some people of Generation Y.

Old 05-29-2012, 10:22 AM

73,031 posts, read 62,622,338 times
My view of Generation Y can vary. Maybe it's because I went to high school in the exurbs of Atlanta that has made a difference. I distinguish suburb from exurb. Marietta,GA;Decatur,GA;Duluth,GA is what I call suburbs of Atlanta. Paulding County(where I went to high school), Bartow County, I would call that the exurbs.

One thing I found was that racism can exist in Generation Y as bad as other generations. I point to my own high school experiences. My school was maybe 1% Hispanic and Asian combined, about 80% White and 20% Black. I noticed that individuality did exist. To a large extent, however, there were certain roles still expected. These were often the roles I saw:

For White kids, it was mostly rednecks, some preppies, band nerds, goths. No hipsters or yuppies. The skater culture was slowly dying out in my high school.
For Black kids, mainly ghetto. There were a few Black students who didn't fit into the "ghetto" role.
In my high school, there were very few, if any Asians or Hispanics. None of the Hispanic kids I knew fit the "cholo" or "no English" stereotype. I saw 6 Asian kids the entire time I was in high school, and none of them fit the "nerd" stereotype. However, 2 of the Asian students were from Japan and were exchange students, 2, were immigrants from India, one was a Colorado-born student of Pakistani parents and another student was a Chinese-American from Tennessee.

This is how I fit. I am African-American. In high school I was bookish, nerdy, and awkward. I was also smaller than most of the students. I did sports in high school(track and cross country), however, I wasn't a jock. I can understand how a person can be expected to fill a role. It was expected of me. I remember a few kids comparing me to Carlton in almost a mocking sort of way. And it wasn't just Black kids. I remember one girl, who happened to be White, would yell "White boy" at me every time she saw me. I think she affiliated with some of the skaters. One group I never got along with were those of the "redneck" subculture. I still remember a few of them making threats to "lynch" me.

Then I got to college and I was around so many kinds of people. Is Generation Y any less racist? From my own experience, I have met quite a few racists in Generation Y. I think what I have found is that it has varied based on where I've been. Even at my university, I have ran into some students who expect me to be "ghetto".

Is Generation X any better? Well, yes and no. I have been around some very nice people who are Generation Xers. I have had an easier time getting along with those from Generation X. I don't remember anyone from Generation X ever expecting me to live up to certain roles based on my race, in terms of personal relationships. I have often felt it more from Generation Yers than from Xers. On the other hand, sometimes people from Generation X stereotype people as well. At least in Generation X, I saw more variety. Today, I don't see as much variety among Generation Y.

Last edited by green_mariner; 05-29-2012 at 10:54 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies