Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2012, 12:44 PM

12,481 posts, read 10,222,878 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
my words?

I believe you're hallucinating.

Please point out exactly where you quoted my words allegedly calling for the elimination of national defense.
post 25
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2012, 12:53 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,389,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjtwet View Post
post 25
And just WHERE in #25 or anywhere else did I talk of "Not having a national defense" as you have alleged?

Old 05-21-2012, 12:56 PM

12,481 posts, read 10,222,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
And just WHERE in #25 or anywhere else did I talk of "Not having a national defense" as you have alleged?
Post 25

Old 05-22-2012, 07:54 PM

2,008 posts, read 3,327,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
I'd agree with your assessment 100%, you can start with removing the billions given to green energy. It's just an incentive to keep producing very expensive and wasteful products instead of innovating. It's wide open to abuse by politicians using them legal ways to reward their supporters.

Having said that ultimately tax breaks benefit the consumer through lower cost products, just do away with corporate and business taxes altogether leveling the playing field. Move those taxes to a national sales tax exposing them as taxes to the consumer instead of hidden in the cost of the products they purchase.
There was a time that a nights stay in a hospital was around $15, more people owned their cars and property outright, and just about everyone could see a doctor. This was America's golden age, and the wealthiest people were taxed about 80-90 percent more than now. In contrast with wages, the price of goods and commodities is outrageous not lower priced. Now no one owns their car or their home and no one can afford to see a doctor, and by the time the bills are paid no one has any money left. Nothing at all is cheaper, and if it is it's usually just cheaper in quality.

Old 05-22-2012, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjtwet View Post
Not having a national defense is a great liberal idea
Liberals don't want to ditch national defense, they just don't want war to be a part of the economy. Defense on the scale of America's is an indication that something is wrong within.

Old 05-22-2012, 08:00 PM

10,854 posts, read 9,301,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleatis View Post
When you give a corporation tax breaks and bail outs it's incentive.
But when millions Americans need food stamps, and government aid it takes away their incentive?

Assuming for a moment that half of the population of a country actually is a lazy failure, that means there is a serious problem with the country as a whole, not the individual.

Where's the logic in blaming millions upon millions of Americans of being lazy failures, instead of blaming less than a thousand people of being excessively greedy?

Old 05-22-2012, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooperkat View Post
The solution is to root out waste in all of our programs.

Throwing more money at any of these programs makes no sense.

The biggest savings could be found in reforming Medicare, Medicaid, Social Security, Unemployment and Welfare. The taxpayer pays 3 times more for all of the above than on defense.

But, defense spending needs to be more efficient too.
I'm willing to pay more for those things because at least an American benefits from it. The last decade of "defense" has been a failure.

Old 05-22-2012, 08:43 PM

20,702 posts, read 12,533,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
Social welfare also contributes to drug habits for very many of those who receive it.
Link?

Old 05-22-2012, 08:52 PM

3,614 posts, read 3,502,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooperkat View Post
The problem doesn't really lie in how big or how small our defense is.

Congress is responsible for the reasons our defense costs so much.

It is the law makers that have made $100 hammers possible. Take a look sometime at why our defense contracts cost so much.

Because of our laws we don't just spend 30 times what we should for a hammer - we spend 30 times what we should for everything. Every single part in an airplane, tank etc.

It's time for some changes.

Curious?

Yes, Virginia, A $2.98 Hammer REALLY Costs Our Government $100 | Scragged
I read that article, and it's pretty clear the contractors are to blame, not congress. The supplier was charging 30x the overheard selling a hammer to the government, and supposedly the reason it got that way is because everytime a contractor found a billable loophole, congress closed it--so the contractor would find another one. Seems to me like irresponsible defense contractors.

Old 05-22-2012, 09:21 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,222,978 times
I want all types of welfare eliminated.

Including UN welfare.

No entitlements unless earned such as social security.

If a compnay can't stay afloat financially, let it die.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies