Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-23-2012, 08:41 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,180,231 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Not every profession offers bonuses for "performance," especially when you don't work in a profit-making field. Take me, for example, a librarian with the county... what will I get paid extra for, answering reference questions at double-speed and finding the best discount on audiobooks? If you're referring to eventual promotions, for us public sector folks, those are generally based more on seniority and staffing needs than performance. Of course the best workers will be offered those opportunities first, but it's not like an automatic "you did a great job, so here's your promotion" kind of thing. If the city doesn't need or can't afford a new supervisor, the job simply doesn't exist for you to obtain.

That being said, we don't have the option of how many hours to work... if you're full-time you work 40 (or 37.5 in some cities/counties) hours, and if you're part-time it's only 20 hours. I've had ONE job in my career that was 30 hours, and again that was a set schedule - no options to work more or less, and these hours are strictly enforced due to budgeting. Again, not everyone works in corporate or profit-making environments.

Some libraries are now offering 4-day work weeks, where you work 8-10 hours/day depending on their union or city agreements. While that could make for a rather long day, especially when you add in the unpaid 1-hour lunch and commute, it does sound awfully appealing. Given my current commute, it would also save me 1.5 driving hours and approximately 3 gallons of gas (@ around $4.25/gal currently) per week! Sounds nice to me.
Did you choose to become a librarian? It was your choice. I don't think it is a field high in demand nor a field that offers many opportunities for greater achievement.

I appreciate that your job may not offer a "pay for performance" plan. You have already identified that being a better librarian (however that might be determined) won't earn more pay. So what do you want done about it? I don't think the people that pay for libraries (usually taxpayers) are willing to pay librarians $100K per year. I accept that we need librarians. But the job has extremely low risk, does not need extensive training and/or experience, and is not judged especially valuable by the bodies that hire librarians.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2012, 08:45 AM

6,137 posts, read 4,862,292 times
You work less, you'll get paid less.

It ain't rocket science.

Old 05-23-2012, 08:47 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,202,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bnepler View Post
Move to Europe and enjoy their benefits.
They are not foolish enough to accept us. You have to be there legaly to enjoy the benefits.

Old 05-23-2012, 08:49 AM

20,300 posts, read 22,224,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
Their standard of living is better than ours.
Which European country?

Old 05-23-2012, 08:52 AM

25,849 posts, read 16,532,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cw30000 View Post
I don't know what you talking. For profit corporation is just that, they are existing to make profit. If they don't make profit, they will seize to exit.

When you say corporate greed, I believe you just meant executives paying themselves too much money, but what about union boss. How are they different. Sure, they don't make the million dollar package that CEO of for profit corporation made, but there is a different. For profit corporation made money. A union, they don't make money, they take it from others. Especially public union. When the last MTA strike, it bought down NYC, and yet, no one go to jail.
Unions make money but use it to benefit their workers. I have been an IBEW worker for 25 years. I have no complaints. My dues are very reasonable and I haven't missed a day of work, my salary has been protected and my employer has been protected from their own stupidity.

Why not wonder why these workers were pushed to strike? Bad management I'll bet.

Old 05-23-2012, 08:58 AM

10,659 posts, read 10,729,131 times
Quote:
Their standard of living is better than ours.
Seems some don't agree........

P.S. None of the countrys above us in the list can compare to the population and diversity here in the USA.....
P.P.S I've been to all of them and the suck compared to US!
Top Ten Countries with Highest Quality of Life

Standard Of Living In The United States World Countries Top

Countries with Highest Standard of Living

Old 05-23-2012, 08:58 AM

503 posts, read 807,468 times
Quote:
They are not foolish enough to accept us. You have to be there legaly to enjoy the benefits.
as opposed to the US where you can come here illegally and get all of the benefits you want all paid for courtesy of the working people of this country.

Old 05-23-2012, 12:51 PM

16,431 posts, read 22,202,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Bowman View Post
as opposed to the US where you can come here illegally and get all of the benefits you want all paid for courtesy of the working people of this country.
Exactly.

Old 05-23-2012, 01:03 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,286,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
They support a 30 hour week with 10 hours of overtime...
Please provide some credible (not blog or opinion) supporting your assertion.

Old 05-23-2012, 01:14 PM

23,561 posts, read 17,232,713 times
Interesting the 30 hr suggestion as it comes from across the sea. Many US companies now have a strong EU presence in leadership and guess what? We get to work even longer hours than 40.

Asked why and the response is, "EU folks like to spend time with their families". Oh, does that assume US workers don't?

When the government is the sole job provider I guess we can start the 30 hr week as our productivity will be irrelevant. then we can all get PhDs for free and go back to a job market where janitorial positions require a PhD.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies