Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2012, 11:26 AM

712 posts, read 1,367,026 times

Advertisements

Many of us workers in america tend to work 40+ and even 50/60 hour weeks and for what? Why do all that work just to enjoy 1-2 days off per week and for most of us that means to be stuck in traffic or waiting in long lines if we get the weekends off. The quality of life in america is off balance.

What is the point of working so many hours? Some of us are paid salary and for the ones that work 40+ on the hourly basis, they get taxed more! So it doesnt make sense money wise and free time wise.

Why cant americans simply adopt a 30 hour work week and have more time off to enjoy life? Why cant we be like europe?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2012, 11:30 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,940,972 times
I would appreciate a 4 day 40 Hour work week. Friday can officially be considered a weekend day.

Not only is this better for workers pysche and productivity but offices being closed 3 days a week has a ton of environmental benefits.

Old 05-21-2012, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
I would appreciate a 4 day 40 Hour work week. Friday can officially be considered a weekend day.

Not only is this better for workers pysche and productivity but offices being closed 3 days a week has a ton of environmental benefits.
Well said my man!

Old 05-21-2012, 11:38 AM

41,475 posts, read 59,799,372 times
You are a WORKER not an owner so what do you expect? Decent pay for decent work and a work week that allows some recuperation. Get real. The robots work 24/7 and so should you.

The perfect answer is a 3 1/2 day 42 hour week consisting of 3 12 hour days plus one 6 hour day interlaced with a second shift for the rest of the time. That way the PCs would be manned 24/7 and the owners would be very pleased.

Old 05-21-2012, 11:38 AM

10,657 posts, read 10,730,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Negotiator75 View Post
Many of us workers in america tend to work 40+ and even 50/60 hour weeks and for what? Why do all that work just to enjoy 1-2 days off per week and for most of us that means to be stuck in traffic or waiting in long lines if we get the weekends off. The quality of life in america is off balance.

What is the point of working so many hours? Some of us are paid salary and for the ones that work 40+ on the hourly basis, they get taxed more! So it doesnt make sense money wise and free time wise.

Why cant americans simply adopt a 30 hour work week and have more time off to enjoy life? Why cant we be like europe?
Ever think theres a reason we kick butt?

U.S. Workers Ranked as World's Most Productive - employers - labor - productivity | Inc.com

BBC NEWS | Business | US workers top productivity table

US leads world in Labour Productivity: US companies put Ireland in second place in global rankings

Old 05-21-2012, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
The robots work 24/7 and so should you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
That way the PCs would be manned 24/7 and the owners would be very pleased.
Are we working for John Connor now?

Old 05-21-2012, 11:39 AM

30,969 posts, read 21,646,641 times
Conservatives say America was built on hard work, so I doubt that conservatives would like the idea of a 30 hour work week. Conservatives would also find fault in that it is trying to imitate what Europeans want to do with their work week by shortening it.

Old 05-21-2012, 11:41 AM

16,206 posts, read 10,828,810 times
Quote:

I agree with this.

Old 05-21-2012, 11:41 AM

102,216 posts, read 107,956,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Negotiator75 View Post

Who can live on part-time pay these days? Or did you want employers to pay workers for the other 10 hours they're not working, as well?

I agree the quality of life is off-balance, but you need to think through your proposal, and give us the details, first. Frankly, I would prefer a more reasonable vacation schedule, first. One month/year, rather than two weeks. Two weeks is ridiculous. It's not healthy to work year 'round like that.

Old 05-21-2012, 11:43 AM

9,394 posts, read 15,696,091 times
Quote:

I know some people who've switched to the 10 hour day, 4 days a week schedule and they really like it. Federal agencies are actually leading the way with alternative work scheduling if I'm not mistaken.

Most productive doesn't mean most prosperous. I've seen how some folks elsewhere live... if I have to choose between working to live and being "productive," well...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies