Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2012, 08:24 AM

45,226 posts, read 26,450,499 times

Advertisements

yes doing more of the same that created the problem in the first place, should do the trick.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2012, 08:25 AM

10,659 posts, read 10,729,131 times
Better watch out! the 4th Reich is on the way!!! Deustchland uber alles!!!!

Last edited by my54ford; 05-22-2012 at 08:39 AM..

Old 05-22-2012, 08:29 AM

11,760 posts, read 14,656,809 times
I hope you conservatives are paying attention to what's been happening in Europe.

The short version is that over the last couple of years Europe and the United States decided to engage in a large-scale economic experiment looking at what is the best way to pick up a floundering economy.

The United States chose to do a very small amount of stimulus, i.e. Keynesian economics. Europe embarked on a program of austerity.

Now, the United States has had two-three consecutive years (depending on the sector) of economic growth, whereas Europe has come nowhere near a recovery.

I'm totally agnostic on what Germany should do, but the results are clear: Keynes works, austerity fails.

Old 05-22-2012, 08:29 AM

2,385 posts, read 1,588,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
Correct, thing is they are all that is standing between the rest of the EU and finacial collapse. Once again, if that happens we are next, the world is interconnected economically and where one major sector goes, so do the rest.
I agree with that. But I do not believe Germany should bail out the rest of Europe. South Europe simply has to take the medicine now. It may take some time.

Old 05-22-2012, 08:33 AM

2,385 posts, read 1,588,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
I hope you conservatives are paying attention to what's been happening in Europe.

The short version is that over the last couple of years Europe and the United States decided to engage in a large-scale economic experiment looking at what is the best way to pick up a floundering economy.

The United States chose to do a very small amount of stimulus, i.e. Keynesian economics. Europe embarked on a program of austerity.

Now, the United States has had two-three consecutive years (depending on the sector) of economic growth, whereas Europe has come nowhere near a recovery.

I'm totally agnostic on what Germany should do, but the results are clear: Keynes works, austerity fails.
You are talking about a 4 year period. Historically Keynesian Economics have always failed. And they will fail again. America has only 2% Economic growth with a 700 billion dollar stimulus package. Once those stimulus effects are gone very bad times are ahead.

Old 05-22-2012, 08:34 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,392,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsjustmeagain View Post
Israel is telling Obama to get lost all the time and so will Germany. He can ask but his wishes won't be fulfilled. He acts like the empty suit he is.

Yes I know of economic diplomacy. Merkel will tell Obama in very economic diplomatic way to get lost.
No they aren't. They are throwing a hissy because they want MORE money for defense. Israel is telling us no such thing. We should tell them to get lost and quit giving them 4 billion a year for their defense.

He can to ask, and sometimes they will be fulfilled. Germany can't afford to keep bailing out the rest of Europe. Sooner or later, they will say no. The idea behind a stimulus is that it would prop up the union until the economy recovers. That is debatable.

Our issue in these United States, and why the President is asking Germany to float the bill, is that our economy is still somewhat weak, and if the EU collapses, there goes 25% of our countries business (clothing, automobiles, cellular phones, food, etc) all that demand will go away. This would flood our market with to much supply, making prices drop, but it also puts people out of work and then they can't afford anything.

So our economy is directly tied to Europe. The President isn't begging, he isn't telling, he is asking Germany to float the bill because he believes that a thriving EU is good for the United States.

The outcome of a EU collapse is debateable on the long term. But in the short term, it will hurt the United States. Thats why the President is worried about it, its why he is trying to do something about it, and thats the real situation.

Old 05-22-2012, 09:00 AM

7,444 posts, read 7,018,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsjustmeagain View Post
You are talking about a 4 year period. Historically Keynesian Economics have always failed. And they will fail again. America has only 2% Economic growth with a 700 billion dollar stimulus package. Once those stimulus effects are gone very bad times are ahead.
This is exactly right. It's laughable that Obama and his media lap dogs are framing his policies as pro-growth. This article sums it up nicely:

Merkel's 'Austerity,' Obama's 'Growth,' and the Power of Framing - Economic Intelligence (usnews.com)

Mr. pro-growth has an anemic record of growth. His answer is always the same: more borrowing and spending and easy money with the vague hope the economy will take off in the short run, and kick the can down the road for others to deal with the crushing debt service and inflation that is sure to follow. The author calls it neo-Keynesian, because I'm fairly certain Keynes would not advocate such a reckless debt/deficit spiral.

The neo-Keynesians also assume success in their models by assuming that each dollar spent by the government will have a postive multiplier effect, usually 1.5 or greater, on GDP.

The problem is, it has never worked out that way. Of course, the facts are brushed aside in favor of the message.

Noted Harvard economist Robert J. Barro has empirically studied the issue and notes that peacetime multipliers are essentially zero:

http://www.economics.harvard.edu/fac...mistsVoice.pdf

That's largelly because government deficit spending tends to crowd out private investment. And we all know the government doesn't spend those borrowed dollars very efficiently.

Last edited by MUTGR; 05-22-2012 at 09:13 AM..

Old 05-22-2012, 09:04 AM

29,407 posts, read 22,009,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Where are you getting the 16 trillion number from? Source?

I'm not trying to be smart, just educating myself. I haven't read that number (please from a non biased source, with information on where, when, and how long a time table we are looking at here)
The audit of the federal reserve.

Old 05-22-2012, 09:11 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,392,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
The audit of the federal reserve.
Link? How many years are we talking about? etc. I don't need a link to the federal reserve, I can do that myself. I want the anaylsis of the data, do you have that?

Old 05-22-2012, 10:01 AM

29,407 posts, read 22,009,955 times
You can do that yourself too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies