Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2012, 05:13 PM

6,897 posts, read 4,760,141 times

Advertisements

Wow, what dedication this woman has, all schools should be like this!

Born to Rise: One woman's mission to reform education - The Daily Nightly
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2012, 07:38 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,387,069 times
Good post, I think this was one of the schools that Steve Brill wrote about. He's a mostly liberal pundit who became an advocate for school choice, which is generally considered a conservative idea.

I always thought that everyone is good at something. Some are good at math, some at art, some at language, etc. and there is a niche in the economy for all different talents. I hated K-12 but loved college, mainly because I got to largely choose the classes I could take and focus on what I knew I was good at.

Old 06-06-2012, 08:34 PM

1,182 posts, read 1,141,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
Good post, I think this was one of the schools that Steve Brill wrote about. He's a mostly liberal pundit who became an advocate for school choice, which is generally considered a conservative idea.

I always thought that everyone is good at something. Some are good at math, some at art, some at language, etc. and there is a niche in the economy for all different talents. I hated K-12 but loved college, mainly because I got to largely choose the classes I could take and focus on what I knew I was good at.
School choice is a mostly liberal idea. Conservatives generally oppose it because they don't want poor kids around their kids.

Old 06-07-2012, 03:49 AM

5,450 posts, read 8,772,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruin Rick View Post
School choice is a mostly liberal idea. Conservatives generally oppose it because they don't want poor kids around their kids.
Absolutely not true. Here in NJ, a conservative put it in place. Dems came in and it was thrown to the back burner and now we have another conservative that brought it back and acted on it.
We have it now thanks to Christie.
As a conservative myself, I don't care if a poor kid uses it and goes to a rich school. It shows me that the parent of that kid cares enough about their child's education. You don't have problems from kids with caring parents.

Old 06-07-2012, 05:56 AM

556 posts, read 623,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruin Rick View Post
School choice (like the voucher system) is a conservative idea.
The unions lose control of the drone teachers and thus lose their power.

Old 06-07-2012, 05:57 AM

8,396 posts, read 9,453,962 times
Default This is how school should be, giving everyone chance!

As a teacher at a large urban public HS I applaud Dr Kenney's approach to teaching; give the teachers the flexibility to manage their classes in their own style while making them accountable for results. The cream will rise to the top in that environment.

The approach in too many schools is the polar opposite; teachers are expected to follow a narrow script forced down on them by adminstrators who more than likely have zero experience in teaching their subject, but of course they're still held accountable for their kids' test reults.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies