Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2012, 12:27 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,222,200 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post
People don't seem to know the details of that case, admittedly I didn't either till I did some research. It turns out the woman got third degree burns from spilling the coffee on herself. Third degree! The deepest kind of burn. I've had boiling crab bisque splash up on my wrist and it barely left a mark after a week, and that still hurt like hell. I can't imagine what a third degree burn is like, but coffee should never be hot enough to cause a burn like that.
It's true. People love to repeat the "simple version" of things because it makes light of a problem and points to individual stupidity, which in turn makes everyone else feel superior.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2012, 12:28 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,009,955 times
I wonder how we all survived mcdonalds coffee all those years until the old bag spilled some on her?? LOL

Old 05-23-2012, 12:28 PM

45,227 posts, read 26,450,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
Cell phone texting is viewed differently because there is developing a clear record of it contributing to car wrecks vs hot women contributing to them.

Example:

Feds: Phoning, texting killed 3,092 in car crashes last year

I remember back in the early 90's there was woman in Florida who wanted to start a hot dog stand while wearing a g-string bikini. She was wearing the bikini as an attention grabber for her business. As far as I know no wrecks were caused by her distracting drivers but if some had happened I'd bet those on the recieving end of those wrecks would have looked into the possibility of sueing her.
must learn to think like a lawyer

Old 05-23-2012, 12:29 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,694,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
I wonder how we all survived mcdonalds coffee all those years until the old bag spilled some on her?? LOL
According to the wiki link there had been several complaints of burns from McDonald's coffee. Guess nobody bothered taking it to court till the old lady ended up needing skin grafting because of it.

Old 05-23-2012, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
Even after being schooled you act like the bully. I wonder what you get from it.

If this woman had been handed the coffee and turned around and bumped into a child, spilling it on their head, this would be a different convo. There wouldn't be the LOL factor of her putting it between her legs, which most people never get past.

Last edited by Ceece; 05-23-2012 at 12:41 PM..

Old 05-23-2012, 12:35 PM

12,755 posts, read 9,649,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyndsong71 View Post
Would you be more or less pissed than if they were changing the station on the radio? Or more or less pissed if they were talking to the person in their passenger seat? Or more or less pissed if they were just really bad drivers?

Why would the reason behind their bad driving make a difference in how you felt about the accident?
In 2010, I bought my very first NEW car. I was 58 years old at the time; always had used beat-up cars and I was finally able to buy a new car!

I had about one thousand miles on the car when a woman pulled out in front of me from a stop sign and totalled my car. She just couldn't be bothered to wipe the condensation from her driver's side window. She couldn't see out of it; didn't even bother to lower the window to see if any traffic was on the road. Was I pissed? You bet! That was DUMB of her. Doing something STUPID that causes an accident was the basis for my anger.

Texting while driving is dumb and stupid. Driving while not being able to see out the windows is dumb and stupid.

You show me statistics on how many accidents are caused by people changing a radio station in their car, or by the driver talking with a passenger...

Old 05-23-2012, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
In 2010, I bought my very first NEW car. I was 58 years old at the time; always had used beat-up cars and I was finally able to buy a new car!

I had about one thousand miles on the car when a woman pulled out in front of me from a stop sign and totalled my car. She just couldn't be bothered to wipe the condensation from her driver's side window. She couldn't see out of it; didn't even bother to lower the window to see if any traffic was on the road. Was I pissed? You bet! That was DUMB of her. Doing something STUPID that causes an accident was the basis for my anger.

Texting while driving is dumb and stupid. Driving while not being able to see out the windows is dumb and stupid.

You show me statistics on how many accidents are caused by people changing a radio station in their car, or by the driver talking with a passenger...
None of this has anything to do with the girl who sent the text though.

It's like saying since I wrote you a letter last year and you decided to read it while driving yesterday it's my fault you hit that tree.

Old 05-23-2012, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
Cell phone texting is viewed differently because there is developing a clear record of it contributing to car wrecks vs hot women contributing to them.

Example:

Feds: Phoning, texting killed 3,092 in car crashes last year

I remember back in the early 90's there was woman in Florida who wanted to start a hot dog stand while wearing a g-string bikini. She was wearing the bikini as an attention grabber for her business. As far as I know no wrecks were caused by her distracting drivers but if some had happened I'd bet those on the recieving end of those wrecks would have looked into the possibility of sueing her.
Ah yes big brother looking out for us little guys...........

"The NHTSA survey was conducted by telephone. Many respondents were contacted on their cell phones. One can only hope they weren't also driving."

I don't know how they arrive at their 2092 number. According to the survey 6% of respondents said they were in a crash and 1% of those say they were texting. That leaves a helluva lot of other causes. Like these from the report...........

If you look at the survey they would do better to ban radio's, talking in the car, children and portable music players in cars before cell phones. But they aren't the boogeyman created to make folks think the government cares about em.

Old 05-23-2012, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post

Scroll down to the bottom of the page in the link motion put up a few posts earlier and they have the NHTSA survey and it shows that changing the radiio and talking in the car or dealing with kids are more "distracting" than phones. Better ban all that and eating too so the roads are safe. Fact is you take a chance every time you get behind the wheel. You don't want to take that chance then walk. Legislating nonsense won't help. Hell it's against the friggen law to drive drunk and folks do it all the time. This will just open the door up for more fines and nonsense to shake down the public to fund more crap for big bro.

Old 05-23-2012, 01:09 PM

12,755 posts, read 9,649,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
None of this has anything to do with the girl who sent the text though.

It's like saying since I wrote you a letter last year and you decided to read it while driving yesterday it's my fault you hit that tree.
I totally agree. The girl who sent the text has no liability, in my opinion.
If you read my previous posts, you will see that I agree with you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies