Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2012, 12:30 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,938,206 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Common Anomaly View Post
At least it is not as bad as smoking pot, playing cards online, and gay marriage.
Huh? Although I don't look at any of the above as crimes, even if they were, they'd be victimless.

Usually the people who complain the most about what others do in the privacy of their own homes are the same people who want less government regulation. Honestly, I can't even understand a post like yours, but apparently you feel marrying someone you love is equivalent to a blood sport that causes unnecessary suffering.
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Common Anomaly View Post
No, I support decriminalization of drugs, playing card (poker is not gambling), and gay marriage. I find them much less of a "sin" than jeopardizing lives of humans and horses over "sport" that is purely built around economic gains.

However, I am one of those godless heathens without a moral compass.
Okay, I overlooked the sarcasm in your previous post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2012, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
It's not abuse if God okays it.

Old 05-25-2012, 12:49 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,013,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
...a blood sport that causes unnecessary suffering.
Which would be...?

Old 05-25-2012, 01:29 PM

12,669 posts, read 20,449,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
It's very sad. I also saw an expose on Tennessee horse walking that is so sick that I cried. One video showed trainers beating the horses. This one shows that the trainers use harsh chemicals to cause severe pain. All this cruelty so someone can win a trophy. In Florida we still have greyhound racing and they run around in 90+ heat and 100% humidity so people can bet on them. I wish I could make the owners run around the track wearing a muzzle!

Cruelty Behind Tennessee Walking Horses - YouTube
Yes this is terrible and he should go to prison it has nothing to do with Horse Racing

Old 05-25-2012, 04:08 PM

59,086 posts, read 27,318,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
Breakdown - Multimedia Feature - NYTimes.com

At racetracks around the country, large payouts to owners make it profitable for them to field thoroughbreds that are past their prime, sometimes with fatal results.

Some say a culture of drugs and lax regulation at race tracks is behind the nation's high horse fatality rate.
Don't go the track and support horse racing.

If we didn't have horses, what would dogs eat?

Old 05-25-2012, 04:10 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,013,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post

How would we make glue?

Old 05-25-2012, 07:45 PM

17,468 posts, read 12,940,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post

With the drugs they give the horses and if dog's are eating horse meat, this might be another reason dog's are having more health issues.

I don't feed mine canned food for this very reason..........

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
How would we make glue?
Your kidding right??

Old 05-25-2012, 07:46 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,371,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
This should really be looked into, can't believe people enjoy watching horses being destroyed. A horse isn't even suppose to be ridden until 3 yrs old and this is the age when these horses supposedly retire.

Amazes me what humans call fun
Bushwah. The age of the horse's first ride depends on the breed. Thoroughbreds all have the same birthday, January 1st. A colt born early is almost 2 years old when first ridden, and most 2 year old races have horses that are much closer to 3 years old than 2. Colts that are born too late simply are never raced at all.

Relatively few races are run by the young horses. Most races are run by mature horses, but a 2 year old race is like watching young athletes who may be at their peak of fitness. (Some aren't). These horses, if successful while young, make their owners a lot of money when they are bred, as early maturity is a tremendous advantage to a horse racer and is a genetic trait.

Race horses have always broken down on tracks, ever since the very first races. There were more horse deaths back in the 30's, when racing was one of the very most popular spectator sports, than there are now, because so many more horses ran in races, and there were many more races and race tracks.

No one enjoys watching a horse being put down, so the tracks now use various devices to hide the sight from the grandstand. These days, they do it with sedation overdose, and not a bullet, as they did in the past. If there was any way to rehabilitate a broken leg, it would be done.

Unfortunately, the front legs of a horse are almost solid bone, and cannot be successfully set when broken.

Their bones are about the same size as a human's, but must support 4 times more weight. They die in agony when a front leg is broken, because they cannot use only one front leg to move around. Broken legs happen no matter where they are- out in a field, in a transport van, from fooling around with each other, and in a race. It comes along with breeding, riding, and loving horses.

I'm not saying you must like horse racing. If you don't, that is perfectly as valid as being a fan. Not everyone likes rodeo either, for similar reasons. But don't try to inflate the problems with horse racing into bigger than they actually are.

Just as in all sports, trainer abuse and playing with severe injuries happens, but it is not common or approved.

Old 05-26-2012, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
Broken legs happen no matter where they are- out in a field, in a transport van, from fooling around with each other, and in a race.
Baloney.

In 2008 Eight Belles had very serious injuries and was just 3 years old. She was run so hard she collapsed, tripped and broke both legs. It's hard to believe the jockey didn't know she was injured as he whipped her mercilessly so he could win the race.

Here's an article from March reporting that 16 horses died at one racetrack in New York in only 14 weeks. I doubt if that would happen from just "fooling around."

[URL="http://gothamist.com/2012/03/15/16_horses_have_died_at_aqueduct_in.php"]16 Horses Have Died At Aqueduct In 14 Weeks, And Cuomo Wants To Know Why[/URL]

Last edited by justNancy; 05-26-2012 at 01:10 AM.. Reason: fix post

Old 05-26-2012, 10:03 AM

17,468 posts, read 12,940,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
Bushwah. The age of the horse's first ride depends on the breed. Thoroughbreds all have the same birthday, January 1st. A colt born early is almost 2 years old when first ridden, and most 2 year old races have horses that are much closer to 3 years old than 2. Colts that are born too late simply are never raced at all.

Relatively few races are run by the young horses. Most races are run by mature horses, but a 2 year old race is like watching young athletes who may be at their peak of fitness. (Some aren't). These horses, if successful while young, make their owners a lot of money when they are bred, as early maturity is a tremendous advantage to a horse racer and is a genetic trait.

Race horses have always broken down on tracks, ever since the very first races. There were more horse deaths back in the 30's, when racing was one of the very most popular spectator sports, than there are now, because so many more horses ran in races, and there were many more races and race tracks.

No one enjoys watching a horse being put down, so the tracks now use various devices to hide the sight from the grandstand. These days, they do it with sedation overdose, and not a bullet, as they did in the past. If there was any way to rehabilitate a broken leg, it would be done.

Unfortunately, the front legs of a horse are almost solid bone, and cannot be successfully set when broken.

Their bones are about the same size as a human's, but must support 4 times more weight. They die in agony when a front leg is broken, because they cannot use only one front leg to move around. Broken legs happen no matter where they are- out in a field, in a transport van, from fooling around with each other, and in a race. It comes along with breeding, riding, and loving horses.

I'm not saying you must like horse racing. If you don't, that is perfectly as valid as being a fan. Not everyone likes rodeo either, for similar reasons. But don't try to inflate the problems with horse racing into bigger than they actually are.

Just as in all sports, trainer abuse and playing with severe injuries happens, but it is not common or approved.
What people don't care about is those horses legs are weak at a young age, but they have a great amount of energy and are fast. This is the only reason they use them this young.

I've owned horses for many years and even while playing if they slipped it wasn't head forward with human weight upon them.

I think some people care about their horses,(like a pimp cares for his wh*re's) but animals are becoming disposable and over breed.
Not sure, how much one could care if they inject the horses with steroids and whatever else.

Your key words were "If successful" says it all..........most are useless after racing and can never be ridden again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies