Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2007, 02:38 AM

29,391 posts, read 55,609,273 times

Advertisements

Those under 65 had no coverage for at least part of the time, group says.

WASHINGTON - More than one-third of the U.S. population under the age of 65 went without health insurance for all or part of the last two years, a consumer group said on Thursday.

The nonprofit Families USA group used data from last month's U.S. Census Bureau report that found 47 million Americans went without health insurance for all of 2006.

Families USA broke down that figure and calculated that 89.6 million people under age 65 — 34.7 percent — went without health insurance at some point during 2006-2007. It used a projection for the remaining months of this year.

89.6 million lacked health insurance - Health Care - MSNBC.com (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2007, 04:55 AM

10,545 posts, read 13,588,653 times
I will agree that there needs to be something done about healthcare costs etc., but this article has a slant to it. The number of people that went without health insurance "at some point" does not give accurate information about the number that don't have health coverage because they really can't afford it. People go without insurance at some point for many reasons. Some change jobs. Some decide not to have it because they're young and healthy. Some could afford it, but don't plan their lives well or see it as a priority. Some may have a lapse in coverage because they don't pay bills on time. A more interesting statistic to me would be the number that really needed to see a doctor and were not able to due to low income - excluding the ones that simply made other choices of what to do with their income.

Old 09-21-2007, 05:35 AM

1,565 posts, read 4,311,643 times
Of all the insurance, imo health is the most important after car insurance since you are pretty much garuntteed to go to the hospital SOME time.

I know it saved me about 12-18K in medical bills for my appendectomy any subsequent abdominal infection.

Old 09-21-2007, 06:12 AM

6,762 posts, read 11,632,440 times
Wow, they will slant their criteria awfully hard to get that number up to a more disturbing sounding message. I agree, the most important number was who had no coverage because they couldn't afford it at all.

I had a co-worker in Dallas who chose not to pay for insurance, even though he was making 60K at the time and had the money for it. He told me they didn't get sick much and he didn't want to spend the extra and that they put about half the insurance amount away into a savings account for emergencies. Not the best idea, but he chose to not be covered and not due to not having the option at an amount he could afford.

So I guess they were counted in the 89.7 million, and I would guess if you shaved off those who went uncovered for less than 1 month in between jobs, you could shave off a few million, and those who declined coverage would take it down a few more million.

The story is not news, its a slant article designed to invoke anger by misleading people to think there are almost 100 million who can't even get insurance. Not the case whatsoever.

Old 09-21-2007, 06:33 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,799,372 times
Seems to me if you do not have the money or insurance and do get sick you have some choices -
Seek medical help and put it on credit at 30%
Seek medical help and beg for relief because you cannot pay
Get well by your self
Get sicker until you die.

The first makes the bankers richer
The second stiffs the doctors and hospitals
The third is unlikely
The fourth is a choice very few are willing to make

Universal single payer health care is the cheapest and most humane answer. Cheapest because it cuts the banker and insurance companies out of the system and most humane because it covers everybody.

Old 09-21-2007, 06:46 AM

10,545 posts, read 13,588,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Seems to me if you do not have the money or insurance and do get sick you have some choices -
Seek medical help and put it on credit at 30%
Seek medical help and beg for relief because you cannot pay
Get well by your self
Get sicker until you die.

The first makes the bankers richer
The second stiffs the doctors and hospitals
The third is unlikely
The fourth is a choice very few are willing to make

Universal single payer health care is the cheapest and most humane answer. Cheapest because it cuts the banker and insurance companies out of the system and most humane because it covers everybody.
A few you left out -

Consider the fact that you might get sick and prioritize insurance in your budget (for people that find themselves in that position after decisions like the person tnbound2day mentioned)

If you would like to have insurance and really do not have the money, apply for medicaid

Go to the medical facilities that are set up to provide care for the indigent

Old 09-21-2007, 07:04 AM

8,323 posts, read 15,173,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rggr View Post
A few you left out -

Consider the fact that you might get sick and prioritize insurance in your budget (for people that find themselves in that position after decisions like the person tnbound2day mentioned)

If you would like to have insurance and really do not have the money, apply for medicaid

Go to the medical facilities that are set up to provide care for the indigent
In order to qualify for Medicaid (at least here) you have to have children.

In some extreme cases, you might be able to qualify without children, but you have to make less than 125% of the poverty level. BTW, single person poverty is: $10,200. Which means, you have to make less than $12750

If you work a full time job, you have to make less than $6.12/hour.

How many people do you know can actually live on their own making $6.12/hr with no overtime?

Last year, I worked as a manager at Wal-mart. I made too little to afford my own place and the insurance would've eaten over half of my paycheck (which, I still had half of all household bills to take care of). I made too much for Medicaid.

What should be done for those who don't qualify for Medicaid, but don't make enough to live and pay for insurance? Currently, they get screwed.

Old 09-21-2007, 07:16 AM

897 posts, read 2,458,137 times
Look at it the other way. Big business is promoting every one to have universal health care. Because hmo will get more money. Imagine that a health care company has 10 million subscribers. But now laws are set in place where everyone needs to have health insurance and they can pick there own provider. Let say that health care provider gets 10% of the 89.7 million uninsured subscribers. They now would have 18.97million subscribers. They just doubled there customer base. They probably just doubled or tripled there income.They just profited and you just lost a freedom to chose if you want health care insurance or not.

Old 09-21-2007, 07:39 AM

6,762 posts, read 11,632,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Cheapest because it cuts the banker and insurance companies out of the system and most humane because it covers everybody.

Actually, it just turns the government into the banker and the insurance. If run properly it could be better. I have concerns as to how well our government can handle it so I'm still sitting on the fence.

Old 09-21-2007, 07:47 AM

2,305 posts, read 3,029,581 times
How about a person like me who had a liver transplant 8 years ago. I am self-employed and when I try to get insurance once I mention liver transplant they say we cannot help you. Medicaid won't help either because I make to much. I am willing to pay part but they still say no. Had insurance through wifes group policy but her company went out of buisness so that policy ended. Not many jobs in area any more so she cannot find one with benifits. We are getting ready to relocate so she can get a job with benifits.
Luckily I do not have to take any meds for rejection so my health is good and I take care of myself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies