Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2012, 01:32 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,009,955 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post
Rudeness seems to be status quo in supermarkets lately.

Loud talkers, plus people push and shove, or "bump" you out of the way.

At Kroger last week a 350 lb 6'3 teenager backed into me because he couldnt see he was in a shopping aisle and perhaps other people are shopping???.
(I am a petite female), he almost knocked me over.

Maybe its a regional thing though. I am in NE Tenn for the month. I will add , in this area no one once has held the supermarket door open for me (they let it slam on your face), unless I am with company.
So now at the supermarket the door is supposed to be held open for you? Why is that so you can stand there? Maybe a guy who's pet peeve is folks who stand there when you hold the door open was the guy who decided not to do it so he wouldn't get pissed?? Have some sympathy for others they are just trying to not get mad at the grocery store. Maybe if all you folks who seem to have so much trouble at the store would just grow your own food you'd lead a much happier life? lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2012, 01:35 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,601,012 times
lol. Yes. You cant expect manners to be taught in the barnyard.

Old 05-25-2012, 01:38 PM

12,436 posts, read 11,950,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Not if its a non smoking movie theater. I mean, I know if its a smoking facility before I go in, so I choose to accept their rules or not.

Now there are some older theaters I find that do allow smoking, and yes, I smoke there. Of course if someone doesn't like smoke, they knew before they walked in that the theater allows smoking, and they accept that risk upon entry.

I don't talk on the cell phone while a movie is on, but I will text.
Well if a theater allows smoking sure. It would be rude to ask someone to put out their cigar at a facility that allowed smoking. As far as texting, who cares if you can't see the light from the phone on the row behind you. If you can, it is distracting. Most theaters will now post at the beginning of the movie to not talk on the phone or text while the movie is playing as it distracting.

I rarely if ever say anything to rude people; however, if someone is being rude at a theater that have paid to see I will say something. Fortunately, I don't go to the movies very often so It does not come up very often .

Old 05-25-2012, 01:41 PM
Sco

4,259 posts, read 4,919,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
It is rude to act as if your time is more important than any one else's time. Writing a check takes about 5 times longer than swiping a card. If you don't want a card just carry cash. Nobody wants to wait the additional minutes required to make sure that everything on your check is correct and then have them check your I.D. You might as well be using the barter system.
I am going to start writing checks again just because of this post.

It seems like a technological wizard such as yourself would be able to make all of their purchases online so that you wouldn't have to wait your turn or deal with people at all. You sound like you have the patience of a toddler.

Old 05-25-2012, 01:44 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,601,012 times
Quote:
What is interesting is that people will not wait until a person gets out before they try to get in to something...like an elevator. Just rude.

As far as holding the door open, I guess some people were never taught manners. It is certainly not a southern failing. I have lived in the South most of my life and that is the way that I was raised. It may be a southern trailor park thing though.
Yes, not everyone is like this.

I hold doors open if I know someone is right behind me and it will slam in their face. Its common courtesy, but I guess some were never taught manners by their parents.

Old 05-25-2012, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mochamajesty View Post
Just an example of the entitlement attitude that is prevelant today, I guess.

I think you may be a little confused. A person who feels entitled believes that their time and activity is more important than others. That is rudeness. I don't expect any type of special treatment when I go to a public place. Again that would be rude, I treat wait staff with respect and dignity.

A person with little or no manners is not an entitled person, but simply one who lacks a basic understanding of civilty and is characteristic of someone with a very low upbringing.

Old 05-25-2012, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sco View Post
I am going to start writing checks again just because of this post.

It seems like a technological wizard such as yourself would be able to make all of their purchases online so that you wouldn't have to wait your turn or deal with people at all. You sound like you have the patience of a toddler.
I should have put that in the OP. Personal attacks are rude...I thought that was a given.

Old 05-25-2012, 01:59 PM

5,198 posts, read 5,279,089 times
Quote:
I think you may be a little confused. A person who feels entitled believes that their time and activity is more important than others. That is rudeness. I don't expect any type of special treatment when I go to a public place. Again that would be rude, I treat wait staff with respect and dignity.

A person with little or no manners is not an entitled person, but simply one who lacks a basic understanding of civilty and is characteristic of someone with a very low upbringing.

Not confused at all. Why is someone writing checks considered rude? You only consider it rude because you consider the few minutes that you have to wait for them to write a check a waste of your time.

If you don't think that people should write checks (which are, as a poster put it, a legally accepted form of payment) when they are in front of you in line, how is that not not expecting special treatment?

Old 05-25-2012, 02:04 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,009,955 times
"A person who feels entitled believes that their time and activity is more important than others."

This posted by the hot air breather who thinks their time waiting for somebody to write a check is important enough to whine and rant about.

Old 05-25-2012, 02:09 PM

12,770 posts, read 11,566,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
People need to realize that this is 2012 and there is better technology out there than checks. Get a debit card and save us all time. Some of us have better things to do than waste time waiting in checkout lines.
Then I assume you feel the same way about people with coupons, takes an extra 20 seconds. Patience is a virtue.
Rude is leaving your basket in the middle of the aisle while ignoring the people just trying to get by. Sometimes there are several people having a chitchat, making everybody wind their way around them, oblivious to others.
I also notice people talking on cell phones, not paying any attention to their kids. That really irks me.
I demand decent customer service. If I get a rude response from a clerk or anyone paid to help people, I report them. I also report good service to the manager, so they know who is doing an excellent job. They won't know if you don't tell them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies