Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2012, 08:09 AM

6,137 posts, read 4,861,475 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasper03 View Post
Thank you. People talk trash about an Asian threat but out of over 2 billion Chinese and Idian Asians how many of them aren't living in poverty?
I agree with your general point but when doing that comparison you also have to take into account the environments of said groups.

Quote:
This thread is sad. I see this a lot with blacks foreigners. It's a mental health issue. They can't deal with the racism in this country. Can't deal with being judged for nothing more than skin color so they want to believe that American blacks deserve to be discriminated against but not them because they are different.
That I can't go with, sounds more like a non-sequitur than anything to me. I would argue that their observation is more valid thank you think given the times we are in.

Quote:
If it wasn't for African-Americans and the civil rights movement illuminating America's discrimination for all the world to see (hard to get involved in foreign affairs and push democracy when you don't practice it) the OP would likely still be in Africa. Prior to 1965 the quota system strictly limited non-white immigration. To take it one step further the preference was for northern Europeans vs southern Europeans.Most Africans had to immigrate to the country that owned their colony.
Agreed.

Old 05-26-2012, 08:12 AM

4,050 posts, read 3,959,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamBarrow View Post
The success of African immigrants goes against the theory that blacks can not succeed due to racism, at least in its literal form, as in prejudice based solely on race, as in genetics. And if you were to concede that these racial disparities did exist due to prejudice it would only support the theory that this prejudice is more cultural than anything else. Any bigotry encompassing factors beyond race alone can not be "racism" by definition.

Also in anticipation of the expected response to this, and in response to the poster above you, the argument over a root cause is a fundamentally different argument than one over an impediment to progress. No one will deny the root causes of these issues but in the grand scheme of things the root cause is not relevant in a practical sense outside of its utilization to combat the impediment of progress.
I would suggest that you learn quite a bit more about this country's racial history and in particular it's relationship to African Americans.

You seem to suggest that racism no longer exists and/or has no negative influence on African Americans, if you are truely this misinformed, it's impossible to have a coherent conversation on this subject with you.

The societal view of Africans and African Americans is like comparing Apples and Oranges, to suggest that the perception or treatment of these people are the same as the treatment or perceptions of African Americans is again qiute an uninformed view.

Old 05-26-2012, 08:18 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,418,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
Oh, it certainly CAN Be racism, and from what I've seen, IS.

The difference is that blacks from other countries haven't been treated like inferior life forms their entire lives, subjected to the blatant and cloaked racism and hatreds with every breath they've breathed. Subsequently, they haven't had to beat impossible odds just to feel good about themselves and believe in themselves.

Place seeds from the same plant in different growing conditions and the results will reflect the conditions they grew from. Here, blacks are not nurtured by their larger communities. They are not smiled upon. White people do not stop and tell their mothers how cute they are -- and it gets worse from there on.

I would think someone as well read as yourself would understand it.
I don't agree with this at all. I was born and raised here and am very dark skinned. I don't feel that I experienced any oppressive racism that debilitated my efforts.

Truth be told in my experience the only time my development was stunted is when I transferred from my mostly White private school to a majority Black public school. There being smart was not socially acceptable, speaking correctly was frown upon. As most kids do I sought to fit in with my peers and thus started to askew academics. Thankfully I came to my senses before it was too late.

Old 05-26-2012, 08:18 AM

6,137 posts, read 4,861,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reconmark View Post
I would suggest that you learn quite a bit more about this country's racial history and in particular it's relationship to African Americans.
I am quite familiar with this country's history. I would suggest you read the second paragraph of my post in which I responded to this statement in anticipation of it or something very similar.

Quote:
You seem to suggest that racism no longer exists and/or has no negative influence on African Americans, if you are truely this misinformed, it's impossible to have a coherent conversation on this subject with you.
That's actually not at all what I said. In fact, even if I had said that, you are still completely missing my point on the difference between "racism" and "prejudice".

Try again.

Although I suspect you're not interested in having a coherent conversation about anything, given that last time we had a "coherent conversion" you refused to even debate my primary point, ascribed numerous positions to me (one of them being the exact same one you are ascribing to me now) that I had never taken, then proceeded to refer to me as an idiot in other threads.

Quote:
The societal view of Africans and African Americans is like comparing Apples and Oranges, to suggest that the perception or treatment of these people are the same as the treatment or perceptions of African Americans is again qiute an uninformed view.
Yet they are the same race, genetically. In fact, black Americans are more likely to be mixed somewhere down the line.

So inadvertently, you have absolutely 100% argued in favor of my primary point as it concerns racism in the literal sense.

Thank you.

Old 05-26-2012, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moltenrocksociety View Post
The white trailer trash from West Virginia does not even seem to bother staying in school long enough to even take the SAT, how can you say they are not that far behind?

What causes poor white trailer trash to drop out of school at such high rates? Why do poor white trailer trash view violent crime as a great career choice?
Do you have any stats to back up what you are saying? I have provided a link that clearly shows that poor whites out perform Blacks of ALL income levels.

That would include whites from West Virginia. West Virginia spends a fraction of the money DC spends per pupil and has higher test scores, graduation rates etc, then DC.

Your nonsensical post is pathetic and not even remotely based on facts. You lose.

Old 05-26-2012, 08:20 AM

4,050 posts, read 3,959,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moltenrocksociety View Post
The white trailer trash from West Virginia does not even seem to bother staying in school long enough to even take the SAT, how can you say they are not that far behind?

What causes poor white trailer trash to drop out of school at such high rates? Why do poor white trailer trash view violent crime as a great career choice?
Why are you posting questions to him that he will never ask?

His claim to fame is to continually post disparaging posts about African Americans, claim we are all one in the same and fan up the flames so that the "usual" posters can slap him on the back.

Old 05-26-2012, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enemy country View Post
Yeah I posted in that thread about Asians out performing Whites the same thing. Only time will tell but I think you will always have members of all groups who perform on different levels. As long as you keep racism from ANY group in check then maybe we just end up with the best from all groups making it better for everyone........woudlnt that be great
The gap between Whites and Asians is not as extreme as between Whites and Blacks so it's a classic straw man argument used to deflect addressing the real problems.

Old 05-26-2012, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Why are you posting questions to him that he will never ask?

His claim to fame is to continually post disparaging posts about African Americans, claim we are all one in the same and fan up the flames so that the "usual" posters can slap him on the back.
I answered his question his post is based on a false premise. I've asked him to provide some sort of link to back up his assertion. He has failed maybe you can help him.

Old 05-26-2012, 08:28 AM

8,145 posts, read 6,531,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
The gap between Whites and Asians is not as extreme as between Whites and Blacks so it's a classic straw man argument used to deflect addressing the real problems.
I'm trying to debate here EA but if you want to go we can. You have something that happened to you in that black school you ended up in (IMO) that must have done a real number on you if any of your claims are true

You seem to really hate people like me and so you will always want the very worst about us up front in all discussions. Idon'tt feel that I am inferior and your constant blacks are this (but not me) blacks are that (but not me....not EA) is not going to change that.

Old 05-26-2012, 08:30 AM

8,145 posts, read 6,531,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
I answered his question his post is based on a false premise. I've asked him to provide some sort of link to back up his assertion. He has failed maybe you can help him.
No different from your false premise that you push everyday about AA being inferior. We are not so get over it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies