Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-26-2012, 10:27 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,427,122 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Also a surprising fact president obama is not really Americas first African American president, hes half east African and has not ancestral ties to American slavery.
It's not coincidental to me that the first Black president is not African American per se.

Old 05-26-2012, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edmund_Burke View Post
You're wrong, white "trash" are at similar abysmal level. My personal ep. Can verify that.
I disagree the stats don't bare that out again, I'll reference my earlier post sourced from a Black organization, that points out White children from families that make less than $10K substantially score higher on SATs than Blacks who make more than $100K. Various anecdotal references do nothing for me I have seen few figures that contradict what I've said.

Another article that shows just how the education crisis crosses class lines in the African- American community.
Rich, Black, Flunking | Feature | Oakland, Berkeley & Bay Area News & Arts Coverage

Quote:
The black parents wanted an explanation. Doctors, lawyers, judges, and insurance brokers, many had come to the upscale Cleveland suburb of Shaker Heights specifically because of its stellar school district. They expected their children to succeed academically, but most were performing poorly. African-American students were lagging far behind their white classmates in every measure of academic success: grade-point average, standardized test scores, and enrollment in advanced-placement courses. On average, black students earned a 1.9 GPA while their white counterparts held down an average of 3.45. Other indicators were equally dismal. It made no sense.
Later in the article:

Quote:
To racial theorist Shelby Steele, the response to Ogbu's work was sad but predictable. Steele, a black research fellow at Stanford University's Hoover Institution and the author of The Content of Our Character: A New Vision of Race in America, has weathered similar criticism for his own provocative theories about the gap between blacks and whites. He believes continued societal deference to the victims of racial discrimination has permitted blacks "the license not to meet the same standards that others must meet," which has been detrimental to every aspect of African-American life. "To talk about black responsibility is "racist' and "blaming the victim,'" he says. "They just keep refusing to acknowledge the elephant in the living room -- black responsibility. When anybody in this culture today talks about black responsibility for their problems, they are condemned and ignored."

Ogbu knows that better than anybody. In the months since publication of his book, he's been called a sellout with no heart for his own people, and dismissed entirely by critics who say his theory is so outrageous it isn't even worth debating. It is not surprising that Ogbu himself is now a bit uncomfortable discussing his own conclusions, although he has not backed down at all. After all, many scholars are eager to blame everything but black culture for the scholastic woes of African Americans. "I look below the surface," he says, in response to his many critics. "They don't like it."
This is exactly what happens on this board, confronted with the blunt truth, that their culture inhibits their own growth, African Americans lash out.

Old 05-26-2012, 10:38 AM

18,258 posts, read 22,541,100 times
What stands out to me most about the creation of this thread is the OP's continued diatribe against Black Americans. There isn't one drop of benevolent intent in the OP. Its nothing more than an invitation to anti-Black rant.

So, my question to the OP: How are you being a part of the solution? If you are not a part of the solution then you are a part of the problem. How many of these Black children are you mentoring, etc? How many Black children do you tutor?

Talk is dirt cheap. It is much easier for you to sit back and declare yourself "No Longer Black" than it is to actually make an impact on a young life. Or is it your opinion that Black Americans should just be tossed in the trash can and disposed of?

Old 05-26-2012, 10:43 AM

2,112 posts, read 2,597,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Well it's clear you have become quite "Americanized" or more accurately "African Americanized". So you are a Caribbean immigrant so I'm certain the points I've made before are not new to you. You probably have heard variations of it since you were a child. Yet here you are working hard to side with the victim hood brigade that African Americans seem so invested in. Why are Caribbean Americans more successful than African Americans when they both descend from slaves?

JSTOR: Social Forces, Vol. 74, No. 3 (Mar., 1996), pp. 911-930

Caribbean Americans and Afro-Americans | Trinidad Express Newspaper | Commentaries
I see myself as a black man plain and simple, I know nothing about my African roots. You will not hear me call myself African anything.

Black People: African Americans vs Black Africans - YouTube

I have lived in this country for over 24 years of course I will be influenced by America. Do you really expect me to come to this country and denounce everything about it? And I bet you are of also the type who talks trash about foreigners who come to America and do not fit in. You cannot have it both ways just to complain. Truth is I think it is pathetic to flat out have an agenda about how terrible a certain group of people are, just to appease whites on a message board.

Like I told you earlier, if you are so concerned go to the hood and tell it to the residents faces what their problem is or send a letter to a politician. You claim to live in Maryland, and from what I have seen Baltimore has no shortage of hoods. But as we all know you won't. A year from now you will still be posting on C-D about how pathetic black American's are....and the problem will only be getting worse. Comical and sad at the same time.

Last edited by Beliciano; 05-26-2012 at 10:53 AM..

Old 05-26-2012, 10:52 AM

9,008 posts, read 13,846,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
I don't know but they aren't that far behind. Now riddle me this why are wealthy African-Americans performing worse than white children from homes making less than 10K a year?
The Widening Racial Scoring Gap on the SAT College Admissions Test

Don't ask silly questions you simply expose yourself to be a fool
You are a fool. Where are the test scores of Africans as opposed to American blacks?
They lump in Africans and black American scores all in one category.

Old 05-26-2012, 10:55 AM

4,050 posts, read 3,961,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynight View Post
I see myself as a black man plain and simple, I know nothing about my African roots. You will not hear me call myself African anything.

Black People: African Americans vs Black Africans - YouTube

I have lived in this country for over 24 years of course I will be influenced by America. Do you really expect me to come to this country and denounce everything about it? And I bet you are of also the type who talks trash about foreigners who come to America and do not fit in. You cannot have it both ways just to complain. Truth is I think it is pathetic to flat out have an agenda about how terrible a certain group of people are, just to appease whites on a message board.
Like I told you earlier, if you are so concerned go to the hood and tell it to the residents faces what their problem is or send a letter to a politician. You claim to live in Maryland, and from what I have seen Baltimore has no shortage of hoods. But as we all know you won't. A year from now you will still be posting on C-D about how pathetic black American's are....and the problem will only be getting worse. Comical and sad at the same time.
No truer words were ever spoken.

Old 05-26-2012, 10:57 AM

9,008 posts, read 13,846,004 times
Well,I'm going to say this and I'm out.
Nigerians sure do know how to scam people.

Old 05-26-2012, 10:57 AM

7,783 posts, read 6,089,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamBarrow View Post
^ Bingo.

Same thing with India and all those other countries. Do people really think everyone in India is a computer programmer or doctor?
But, in India, the higher education is available to anyone who works hard at qualifying for it. It is paid for by the government and is limited to the number of slots that will fill the need of society. Here in the US, if you can't afford higher education you can get student loans guaranteed by the government and go to school, qualified or not. If not qualified you end up working at a job well beneath what you went to school for, saddled with student loan debt you will never pay off, even by going bankrupt(student loans cannot be discharged).

So, is the opportunity better in the US than it is in India?

Old 05-26-2012, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
You are a fool. Where are the test scores of Africans as opposed to American blacks?
They lump in Africans and black American scores all in one category.
That particular study does but if a majority of Blacks at Ivy League study are from immigrant backgrounds, as the article the OP linked shows, than it's obvious the scores of Black immigrants aren't the ones bringing down the average. If anything if stripped out the scores would be a little worse for African- Americans.

Either way Africans and their children make up about 1% of the Black population in the USA. They aren't influencing the dial that much statistically speaking either way.

Old 05-26-2012, 11:05 AM

20,524 posts, read 15,912,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
Well,I'm going to say this and I'm out.
Nigerians sure do know how to scam people.
ALL Nigerians? I don't think so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies